• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vice & Luna - #11

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:30 am Reply with quote
Isn't there a rule of thumb about more than half the area of a panel being dialogue balloons?
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:31 pm Reply with quote
It seems that love, or something, is in the air.
I had thought that this comic could get interesting and it is not disappointing me.
I look forward to seeing the continuation in two or three weeks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
meruru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Isn't there a rule of thumb about more than half the area of a panel being dialogue balloons?

There's rules of thumb when it comes to art?

Anyways, even if someone somewhere did say that, manga breaks that all the time. I've seen plenty of examples of panels made entirely of dialogue balloons, and plenty of examples of no dialogue at all in manga.

It's actually quite interesting comparing western comics (at least prior to awareness of manga outside Japan) versus manga, because manga was very bold and dynamic, breaking all kinds of "rules" western comics used to take as a given. Now, not so much, as western artists have started borrowing ideas more.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
It seems that love, or something, is in the air.
I had thought that this comic could get interesting and it is not disappointing me.
I look forward to seeing the continuation in two or three weeks.

Thanks for reading - I really appreciate the feedback.

This storyline will return in 2 weeks; next week we'll have a 4-koma style bonus comic for our "hiatus", which will likely be standard practice.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:38 pm Reply with quote
meruru wrote:
Fronzel wrote:

There's rules of thumb when it comes to art?

Yes.

Like for this one, having panel after panel being mostly text makes for a page that's not very "bold and dynamic".
Northlander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:37 pm Reply with quote
That exchange between Luna and her friend was... actually pretty good. It was just a short exchange about people being embarrassed about their hobbies, but it definitely got a positive response with me when I read it.

But really, "Fart School Dropout"? Was that implication done on purpose, or... ^^;; (Kind of reminds me of that MST episode I once watched -- "Horror on Party Beach", I think -- when one of the bots did the "Do farts have lumps?" joke.)

But.. that aside.. *cough* ...I thought the exchange was rather sweet. Would definitely like more exchanges like that in the future.
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I ship it. Very Happy

But I gotta say, that joke really... stunk. Thank you, thank you! I'm here all week, try the veal!

This is a cute comic. I'm enjoying it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:19 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Like for this one, having panel after panel being mostly text makes for a page that's not very "bold and dynamic".

"Bold and dynamic" is what took superhero comics from single-issue storylines to six-part plot arcs with at least four double-page spreads every issue. I'll sacrifice bold art for sensible pacing, every time.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:00 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Fronzel wrote:

"Bold and dynamic" is what took superhero comics from single-issue storylines to six-part plot arcs with at least four double-page spreads every issue. I'll sacrifice bold art for sensible pacing, every time.

I thought you liked how "bold and dynamic" it was that the strip doesn't mind panels filled with text and a tiny face in the corner.

To put it more clearly, a visual medium isn't great for an extended back-and-forth exchange like this where there's no particular high points in the dialogue (unless you really like the "fart school" gag).
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:23 am Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
But really, "Fart School Dropout"? Was that implication done on purpose, or...

What implication?

@Fronzel
I saw nothing wrong with the comic when I first read it. After reading your posts I want back and looked at it again, and I still do not see anything wrong.
I understand what you are criticizing, but I just do not see it as a problem. Maybe that is because I do not read American comics?

As for the comic:
In the last panel one of the guys asks "Maybell? . . . Luna? You two ready to fight or what? . . ."
I am thinking that they are ready to "or what" and the sooner that they get to it the better. Wink
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:18 pm Reply with quote
It seems that most of Maybell's high-school life may have been...more humorously unlucky than she expected... Wink
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

@Fronzel
I saw nothing wrong with the comic when I first read it. After reading your posts I want back and looked at it again, and I still do not see anything wrong.
I understand what you are criticizing, but I just do not see it as a problem. Maybe that is because I do not read American comics?

Comics are a visual medium. Most of them also include words but a comic can be purely visual but couldn't be purely textual because then you'd just have prose. This comic leans too far to the textual. It even has to subdivide panels into tiny, cramped sub-panels to accommodate and pace all the dialogue. I find it silly to look at.

Such a structure might work if the characters were energetically responding back and forth (if they were arguing, for example) since it would emphasize the volume of their words but these characters are just having a chat.
Northlander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Northlander wrote:
But really, "Fart School Dropout"? Was that implication done on purpose, or...

What implication?

Farts don't drop. They are merely expelled. For something to "drop", it has to have a certain... solidity. I TRIED EXPLAINING MY TERRIBLE SENSE OF HUMOR THROUGH MY MST REFERENCE! WHY ARE YOU MAKING ME EXPLAIN THIS IN DETAIL?! Anime cry
feuerwerke

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
That exchange between Luna and her friend was... actually pretty good. It was just a short exchange about people being embarrassed about their hobbies, but it definitely got a positive response with me when I read it.

...Friend? Really? Maybell clearly asked Luna on a date. They aren't a couple yet, but this was intended as potential budding romance. People try to downplay the existence of lesbians/bisexual women all the time by insisting that two women in a romantic relationship are "friends", and that's what you're doing here. Shame on you.
Northlander

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:34 pm Reply with quote
*sigh* Fine, sorry. I should have written "potential girlfriend" or something along those lines. I didn't really intend to downplay anything.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2