• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kizumonogatari II Anime Film Earns 196 Million Yen in 1st 3 Days

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FtKaru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:27 am Reply with quote
Is this good? I have zero idea of what is considered good earnings for an anime movie at the Japanese box office.
Eithymia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:21 am Reply with quote
FtKaru wrote:
Is this good? I have zero idea of what is considered good earnings for an anime movie at the Japanese box office.

I literally came to ask the exact same thing.
Kreion

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:05 am Reply with quote
Giorno wrote:
FtKaru wrote:

I literally came to ask the exact same thing.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/intl/japan/yearly/

This might give you a bit of perspective...though I don't know what the drop off is like so.
Dab1za9

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:40 am Reply with quote
FtKaru wrote:

It is fine number and will probably end at 700 Million which is profitable.

You can see how the other movies did here
http://www.someanithing.com/268
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:54 am Reply with quote
Unless it's Ghibli or Production IG, that amount is pretty good. Most anime films are pretty cheap to make. You couldn't even but a house in London with the amount it costs to make an anime movie.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:59 am Reply with quote
Considering it had over 100 theaters and is supposed to be a major force in late night anime that's a pretty mediocre performance but only a little more so than the first film. The first movie did a little over 100 million better than that in one more days time too so there is a notable follow up drop off. To put it in further perspective the Love Live movie did double what the 2nd Monogatari movie did in only 2 days with about 15 more theaters last summer and the GuP movie did about the same as this one did in it's first two days with about 30 less theaters before going on to snowball via word of mouth. This movies opening weekend feels about on par with something like say the iDOLM@STER film which did about 150 million yen in 2 days but on only about 34 screens.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:54 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
Unless it's Ghibli or Production IG, that amount is pretty good. Most anime films are pretty cheap to make. You couldn't even but a house in London with the amount it costs to make an anime movie.

Yeah, most anime films range between $2 to $5 million to make. The biggest exceptions are things like Ghibli, and weird outliers like Redline.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1