• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hellsing Ultimate: The Interview

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CGord

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed this interview, great info. I liked Crispin's description of being an actor vs being the director, & deferring to the director's vision. I've seen the first two eps fansubbed, & I'll definitely have to buy the English dubs. I believe this is going to blow the original series out of the water (which I enjoyed, but found the ending to feel rushed).

Also, Taliesin Jaffe has proven himself to be one of the coolest MoFo's around by name-checking Black Heaven. Hard Rock Saves The Space!
RezSav

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:36 am Reply with quote
Crispin Freeman: “I get it! If we want to have Crispin back then we need to tell Geneon that it's in their economic best interest to do so.” No exsquisite sin greater than extortion.... well maybe glutony.

Good interview. I doubt if its the internet we have to thank for the old cast coming back, though. More common business sense I'd say.
WesW

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:48 am Reply with quote
As a discussion topic, I wonder what impact this series might have upon anime's image with the general public if it indeed does become a breakout hit?
Zac, I know you care deeply about how people look upon anime and those who watch it, so are you concerned that this might become the next Ninja Scroll, given its gory content so far and the manga's seriously perverted sexual content (referring to your spoilers in the DVD review)?
Evil Dead 2 was mentioned in the interview, and I remember that that film was help up as an example of the most extreme sickness and depravity imaginable when it came out. I still remember Hugh Downes' report on 20/20, when he made it seem like the depraved creation of Satan worshippers or somesuch. (When I actually saw the film a few years later, I couldn't believe that anyone could take it seriously- it was so obviously over-the-top as to be comical.) Do you have any fears that Hellsing might be similarly slandered?
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:13 am Reply with quote
WesW wrote:
As a discussion topic, I wonder what impact this series might have upon anime's image with the general public if it indeed does become a breakout hit?
Zac, I know you care deeply about how people look upon anime and those who watch it, so are you concerned that this might become the next Ninja Scroll, given its gory content so far and the manga's seriously perverted sexual content (referring to your spoilers in the DVD review)?
Evil Dead 2 was mentioned in the interview, and I remember that that film was help up as an example of the most extreme sickness and depravity imaginable when it came out. I still remember Hugh Downes' report on 20/20, when he made it seem like the depraved creation of Satan worshippers or somesuch. (When I actually saw the film a few years later, I couldn't believe that anyone could take it seriously- it was so obviously over-the-top as to be comical.) Do you have any fears that Hellsing might be similarly slandered?

Or turned into a off-broadway musical, while we're at it?

I don't know if this is going to be a big enough hit to warrant being on 20/20--although I'm sure it'll do well. I mean, I haven't seen Naruto or Fullmetal Alchemist on 20/20 yet, either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Angel_Trainee

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the interview,it's always intresting to hear what the actors have to say. Smile
WesW

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 3:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Or turned into a off-broadway musical, while we're at it?

I don't know if this is going to be a big enough hit to warrant being on 20/20--although I'm sure it'll do well. I mean, I haven't seen Naruto or Fullmetal Alchemist on 20/20 yet, either.

How on earth did you know about something like that musical?

I doubt Hellsing will end up on 20/20, either, but anime is at least known to a lot of magazines and such, and a show like this could provide an opportunity for writers to sound off on the "newest threat to our children's wellbeing", which is a sure-fire attention-getter; the kind of thing that some people like to exploit to further their own careers. I'm not saying that I think this will happen, I just wondered if anyone had thought about the possibility.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:44 am Reply with quote
WesW wrote:

How on earth did you know about something like that musical?

I doubt Hellsing will end up on 20/20, either, but anime is at least known to a lot of magazines and such, and a show like this could provide an opportunity for writers to sound off on the "newest threat to our children's wellbeing", which is a sure-fire attention-getter; the kind of thing that some people like to exploit to further their own careers. I'm not saying that I think this will happen, I just wondered if anyone had thought about the possibility.

To be honest, I don't really remember. I think it was on one of my random Wikipedia runs...that started off on Resident Evil, I guess. Yeah, that was it, and then I was reading about zombie movies and stumbled upon that little tidbit...

I suppose it is a possibility...although I think, since Hellsing's not really being advertised at all as something for children, that it shouldn't cause too much of a stir. (I could be wrong, though--GTA isn't marketed to children, either.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1