• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Heroic Legend of Arslan

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arachnée

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:03 am Reply with quote
The Heroic Legend of Arslan is not just an OVA series. They are actually two movies and 4 OAV.
anime#758
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:00 pm Reply with quote
There's a note attached to the entry that's only viewable to staff that says "The series of Heroic legend of Arislan was not finished and the last two episodes were done several years after the first four"

Should the last two actually be considered movies (as in screen in theaters)?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Arachnée

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:48 am Reply with quote
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, quite a few titles in late 1980s and early 1990s have similar dilemmas. We had a discussion over MAPS ten years ago (wow, time flies by): it was screened by Shochiku Fuji first but VHS released just a week later, and "Original Animation Video" was printed clearly over the VHS jacket. A more recent mix-format example was Stratos 4 Advance.

I think a good compromise would be adding a comment below, describing how the first two "episodes" were screened first.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Arachnée

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:21 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

I think a good compromise would be adding a comment below, describing how the first two "episodes" were screened first.

I would suggest the contrary actually. Have the titles listed as they were released in Japan (in this case with 3 entries for the 2 movies and the OAV series) and with a comment in each entry describing that the movies were released as OAV in US.

The case of "Maps" is different I think because it was relased as movie and OAV in Japan. But the "Arslan" movies are considered like OAV in US only.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:07 pm Reply with quote
That last link mentions an event screening. Was this done purely as a pre-screening for a already planned home video release, or was the intended release as a series of movies and later episodes went video-only?
I mean, if screening the first episode or two of something prior to release on another format qualifies it as a series of movies then there are a lot of things that qualify, like Sailor Moon Crystal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Arachnée

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:56 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
That last link mentions an event screening. Was this done purely as a pre-screening for a already planned home video release, or was the intended release as a series of movies and later episodes went video-only?

Yes, that is the second solution. Wink

The first movie was screened along the first movie of "Silent Mobius" and the second movie with the second movie of "Silent Mobius" and "The Weathering Continent". You'll notice that for "Silent Mobius" and "The Weathering Continent" ANN considered them as movies, not OVA.

Then, 2 series of 2 OVA were made for "Arslan".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1