• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Long Riders! (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:56 pm Reply with quote

Long Riders! (TV)

Genres: School, Sports
Themes:

Plot Summmary: Ami Kurata is a first year college student with no special qualities. One day she happens to notice someone riding a folding bike, immediately falls in love with it, and uses all her savings to buy one. She eventually gets introduced to the world of long-distance bicycling and road racer bikes, and she forms a cycling team called Fortuna with four other female college students from the same school. Their goal is to ride in a "brevet" or long-distance event called "Fresh."
----------------------------------
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:39 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Well I guess it was okay. Not a big fan of the bikes' designs yet although I think I can get used to them soon.

The show reminds me somewhat of Bakuon! but with bikes rather than motorcycles. Out of all the characters so far, I like Hinako the most.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:14 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

So it is like Bakuon but with bicycles instead of motorbikes. which makes it like Yowamushi Pedal, but with girls and not annoying to me. I guess I am in, but as of this episode her bike with tiny wheels kind of really bugs me, although by the looks of the promotional art she may upgrade.
Yuri Fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:54 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 1

So it is like Bakuon but with bicycles instead of motorbikes. which makes it like Yowamushi Pedal, but with girls and not annoying to me.

Amusingly Nao Toyama is in both shows!

I liked the first episode. Nice to have college-aged characters once in a while.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Surprisingly little biking this eppie. Mostly it was just about humiliation, which is always a fun topic. Anyway, looks like Ami is getting a road bike which will open up new cycling vistas for her.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

So, it's a mediocre anime. Nothing special but also nothing that has made me mad with its inanity. Until now.

The situation at the beginning was simply idiotic. In about 10 seconds I thought of 5 solutions. ...The rest of the team could simply decline to start without her... or simply agree to wait (not go slower)... ask four riders behind them to switch... have Saki be the rider left behind (as the fastest)... or just ASK for an exception. The rest of the episode characterizes the event as very lax and understanding... but they're going to be hard asses about an arbitrary line break that cut off the least experienced (and downright ignorant) member simply because she was slightly behind her teammates?

The rest of it was at least without anything worse than its usual cloying but pleasant nature.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:45 am Reply with quote
Episodes 11 and 12 (finale)

An episode about night riding, and an episode for a multi-day trip, some of which in the rain. I liked them, while I don't really have the experience so much with riding, I have my own with hiking, and it kind of reminded myself of first experiences with going at night, multiple days, and a bit in the rain. Did not quite get across how uncomfortable rain can be, but that is okay. These were clear advances in Ami's hobby, and I think got across the experience such as learning about necessary things. Maybe even say the animation was not too bad.

I know a lot of people hated this show, saying things from animation was bad or was too much like lessons in riding bikes rather than its own story, but I in general actually quite liked the show. I never really had a problem with animation, I think it always tended to get the message across, and I liked some of the scenery we came across. I think we had a general nice story progression of Ami that was enough to keep interested, and I would say that I learned a lot of things that I thought was interesting. That bit in the rain about keeping balance was an interesting example.

I have seen the more recently started Minami Kamakura High School Girls Cycling Club anime more positively compared to it, and I disagree. With that one so far I complain that things like end of episode segments that try to inform viewers on things about cycling actually totally takes the viewer out of it, and when they spent minutes in the next episode saying the same thing to the characters, I totally tuned out. I think the way it handled the weight of bikes was far less interesting than Long Riders did.

It has been a slice of life show, and one with college age characters who do things like getting a job to support their hobby, or allowed to go out without adult supervision because they are already adults. Personality wise I even give credit that the character that looked young for her age did not have much of a cliché complex about it. I give a rating of Decent (6/10), I didn't lose my time.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:07 am Reply with quote
I liked this show, too, and rated it Decent as well. I do prefer this season's "girls on bikes" show, but that doesn't mean I didn't appreciate this one. It was very calming to watch and I was interested in learning some stuff about biking. I liked the characters a lot and enjoyed their interaction.

With the addition of Saeki at the very end and the fact that the team hasn't yet done a brevet/fleche (I don't think the Autumn Ride counted?) there is still more story to be told. I don't know if the title performed well enough to get a second season but I would welcome one.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:58 am Reply with quote
This show reminded me of nothing from Bakuon... not even the "cute girls doing cute things" because of Bakuon's The Stig-like character who was more full reference enigma than active character.

But I mention this not to disparage Long Riders... which never tried to be more than what it set out to be... but because all of Bakuon was out at that point and even superficial comparisons between fail to admit Bakuon was, well, funny. Right from the start too so it's like the series parodied the kind of show Long Riders proudly wanted to be.

Oh yes, I said "wanted to be". This show lost me when a college age woman who should know some things tried to use a folding bike for touring activities. But the real problem isn't that Ami didn't know she was underequipped for such a venture, it's because her friends did but never bothered to tell her otherwise.

Not because they enjoyed her pain or felt she needed a lesson, it was because the show needed a few more episodes. Because, you know, "bicycles", you get one, you get on it and ride it.

Do I think the show's bad? I'd say it's unambitiously mediocre which is actually worse than just being bad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1