• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Occultic;Nine (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:05 pm Reply with quote

Occult;Nine (TV)

Genres: science fiction, supernatural
Themes:

Plot Summary: Nine idiosyncratic individuals are linked by the "Chōjō Kagaku Kirikiri Basara" occult summary blog run by 17-year-old second-year high school student Yūta Gamon. Little incongruities that occur around these nine eventually lead to a larger, unimaginable event that may alter what is considered common sense in this world.
----------------------------------

The plot premise/summary sounds pretty interesting tbh. Really looking forward to what they plan to do with the show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

After seeing the first episode in more details..I have to admit, this was underwhelming

The animation quality looks like crap, character designs can hardly be taken seriously (I think the show is self-aware in someways), while there's some references (666, number of the Beast) related to demons/devils.

Only that cliffhanger so far has my interest. Felt like a load of stuff happened during the first episode.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:28 pm Reply with quote
They're definitely taking a "throw everything at the wall, see what sticks" approach so the episode was all over the place with lots going on. But the other installments in the franchise have ranged from decent to amazing, so it deserves a little benefit of the doubt.

Those boobs are absolutely atrocious, though.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:19 pm Reply with quote
It is a BUSY first episode, the issue is that the material seems to be better set up for its original LN form or alternatively a VN form, in either case the same material probably would have been better served at "the readers pace".

At least it isn't yet another "Death Game" series that seems to be creeping up in adaptations this season of releases.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:05 pm Reply with quote
A good, I thought I was going to be the only one who thought this was bad. Like, can every character dial it back about 100 paces? So far, all characters are either poorly established or just bad. And its going to be difficult to take any scene seriously with those udders taking up half the screen.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:17 pm Reply with quote
The semicolon show it most reminded me of was the not-very-good Chaos;Head, but even that show communicated a sense of paranoid fear in its opening episodes. This is just "a lot of words and some stuff happens," with no thought put into communicating anything at all.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:20 pm Reply with quote
So what's the chance of having onsen, beach, school pool, or other episode where Ryouka is wearing very little? Boobs;Boobs
kgw

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who thought that voice actors were talking really fast? It makes it too hard to follow by subtitles, specially when a whole lot of the dialogues had no real meaning.
NEET: I am a NEET! But I go to school, have a blog, I think I am cool and two cute girls (one with big, BIG boobs) are interested in me!
Boobsgirl: Tee-he! I am a klutz & 90% of my lines are cute noises!
Bartender: I am a walking stereotype about gay people!
Professor: I have some strong opinions about paranormal things (and I have connections with almost every character in this series) Surely that can't be bad at all for me!
Professor's son: Humph!
Journalist: Oh, that's mysterious.
Curser: (Occultic is not a word, so who cares). I feel almost no emotion even if they ask me to kill other people.
Cute medium: Hey, you NEET! I need to be with you, but not in that way! I am cute!
Sarcastic girl: Oh, so you want a sarcastic one-liner?
Otaku detective: Many people, few lines.

Last edited by kgw on Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:24 am; edited 3 times in total
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:05 am Reply with quote
I think our self described NEET is trying to hard, I declare his NEET status revoked until he is shown lounging in his apartment more often playing more PC games instead of actually trying to make money.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:24 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Man that was super frantic. The speed that everyone talked and the way the plot jumped around made it pretty difficult to follow what was happening and being said.

Of characters I think are interesting, the girl with big breasts kind of has it so far. In general I would not like characters for such fanservice reasons (does not match my tastes), but hers look so big, uncomfortably so, that it kind of actually looks like a representative of a person with huge breasts. I saw a video a while back that pointed out that modern culture tends to kind of demean female characters in saying that having a large pair is sexist, while there are actually women who are substantially larger than average, so it be kind of good to have a character of a larger size if she has other characteristics. So far I am also trying to figure out what the deal with ray gun is, like is she actually some sort of alien or time traveller? She does refer to the main character as a samurai?

But again, it was hard to even follow anything.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I wish CR had a setting that allowed you to watch an episode at, say, 0.75, speed. I can't tell you how much I hate a too fast rhythm, especially with dialogue. It's especially irritating when you have to read subtitles. I'm kind of a sucker for supernatural shows - not to mention characters with supernatural breasts - so I'll stick with this mess for now. I just hope the franticness of this episode was a one off.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched any of the [word];[word] shows before, so I don't know if this is indicative of them or not, but it's reminding me a lot of Durarara!! Both in art style, and in the "weird people doing weird things" vibe of the story. I'm definitely not hooked, but unless the second half of the episode really turns me off, I'll give it at least a second episode. Only because Drrr was enjoyable, and it was really weird in its first episode.

Regarding Boobie's, well, boobs: My neighbor, who has large boobs, is estimating hers at at least a G cup, if not H or larger. And there is no way that she could be moving around like that with that size boobs, her back would be in so much pain.

Also, I didn't hear the term used, but if he's in school, by definition, he is not NEET (NEET = Not in Employment, Education, or Training).

Last edited by Dessa on Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
They're definitely taking a "throw everything at the wall, see what sticks" approach so the episode was all over the place with lots going on. But the other installments in the franchise have ranged from decent to amazing, so it deserves a little benefit of the doubt.

Those boobs are absolutely atrocious, though.

If by "atrocious" you mean "glorious", then yes, they are atrocious. I'm glad we actually have an anime character with decently large tits after all this time.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:41 am Reply with quote
"After all this time"? Valkyrie Drive was only a year ago. Those weren't big enough for you?

@ Dessa: Yes, he said out loud he was a NEET, in his second year of high school, and he calls himself NEETGod. So yeah, he's an idiot.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:31 am Reply with quote
Did we actually see him at school? (Things moved so fast I honestly can't remember). He may be enrolled in high school but if he's not actually going and spends all his time on his "affiliate blog" I think that qualifies as a NEET.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2