• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Matoi the Sacred Slayer (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:34 pm Reply with quote

Matoi the Sacred Slayer (TV)

Genres: Adventure, Fantasy
Themes: Magical girl

Plot Summary: It is 2016. Matoi Sumeragi, a second-year junior high school student, works part-time as a shrine maiden at Tenman Shrine in the city of Kamaya. Ever since being separated from her mother in early childhood, Matoi has been entrusted to her grandparents on her father's side, but three months ago, she finally began to live with her father Shingo. In those circumstances, she only wishes for a peaceful, normal life.

Her close friend and part-time workmate Yuma Kusanagi is part of the family of the shrine's chief priest, and is a candidate to be the successor shrine maiden. For generations, her family has performed exorcisms of evil spirits. She invites Matoi to one of these exorcism ceremonies, a so-called "Divine Possession" that she will attempt.

One day, Matoi and Yuma walk from the school to the shrine as usual, but when they arrive, they are greeted by the shrine's now damaged grounds, and Yuma's parents have both collapsed from their wounds. Matoi's father Shingo, a police detective, launches an investigation, and he comes upon a man who does not seem entirely sane: his only witness. When he holds down the man, Yuma begins the ritual of Divine Possession.

Something strange then happens, not with Yuma, but with Matoi. Matoi Sumeragi, who had only wanted a normal, peaceful life, takes the role of a god, and gains the power to banish evil spirits! To get her precious everyday life back, Matoi must conduct exorcisms!
----------------------------------
See the PV here:

https://youtu.be/5Pop1YCKwng

Seems like it'll be a not-so-serious (i.e. no dark twist, no angst) magical girl show. Wink
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:31 pm Reply with quote
White Fox's first original TV show..

This could be a hit or a miss but I'm hoping for the best. The director is not someone I'm impressed with yet though from their previous work.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Watched the first ep right after MahouKeikaku.....and all I could think about was how much I'd rather be watching that show instead. Anime hyper

Very very mediocre series in all aspects....if you want my honest opinion. Dropping it. Matoi's design is pretty and all....but that's not enough to make me a fan. lol

Also I'm sick of getting nothing but MALE-targeted magical girls shows with boob fanservice and yuribait

Twisted Evil
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, unlike my esteemed colleague, Chiibi, I like this show so far. I enjoy the humour and the plot. I can't say the visuals set me on fire, but oh well. The voice of Matoi's "friend" cracks me up.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:26 pm Reply with quote
So far the balance of seriousness and silliness is at a sweet spot, but just as well it is aimed at a niche audience that was already into this kind of show.
Yuri Fan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:16 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
The voice of Matoi's "friend" cracks me up.

If you mean Yuma, then I agree!

Weird how Matoi calls her dad by first name.

Not sure what to think of this show yet. I've never liked characters who want to be "a cute bride". Ugh. So boring and old-fashioned! Mad

Won't judge the show yet. Might become better.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:10 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Some aspects make me really think of Nanoha. There is a simple example like magical girl transformation thing that speaks in a synthetic English voice not too different from Nanoha, but there is something else too. Maybe the level of male oriented it is for a magical girl show.

I am intrigued so far, and I thought that some of god keeping on watching her was a little funny. The it staying off her at the end and baring her chest was unnecessary. Her friend is also kind of funny in how she could be kind of clueless in trying to use scrolls when a monster is coming towards her, getting miffed that she did not get the powers, and being so quick to run away.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Weird how Matoi calls her dad by first name.

It is one of the many touches the show does to "explain a lot without exposition", there relationship implies Matoi blames her father for there missing mother so she doesn't use the use a more family oriented call to her own father spoiler[(something will probably happen to change this and she will call Shingo Papa or Tou-san again, and likely it will be a sad event)
]

Another instance is when Claris attacks Matoi with a gun, if she were armored by a Nights in place of her respective Divine God outfit, a possessing demon would have just discarded there human host and simply jump to another willing victim, attacking doesn't mean heartlessness as she is simply prudent she knew figured if it was a divine entity aiding Matoi it would willingly show up as it did blocking the attack and if it were not then the human likely would have been too far gone to be saved if the Nights manifestation is showing up as physical armor inferring that something like that HAS happened in the past.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I hope the god co-inhabiting Matoi doesn't ever talk. It not talking was easily the best part of the episode. It's a joke that I know will wear thin, but they've done some great mileage with it so far.

How does the other girl avoid the whole clothing problem? Is Matoi's god just a troll/pervert? Actually, maybe it's better left unexplained.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
How does the other girl avoid the whole clothing problem?

First episode, her clothes also disappeared like Matoi's, apparently when provided a spare uniform dress she can instantly put it on.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's not the clothes disappearing initially that's the problem, it's them not coming back. I guess she's a quick change artist.

Which gives me another thought on the disappearing clothing: I hope the financial impact/inconvenience of the main character needing to buy new clothes all the time is addressed in some (likely comedic) fashion.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Of this batch of Magical Girl releases, so far Matoi has been my most enjoyed watch so far, time will tell if this attitude changes but if the rest of the season can keep up pace this take on the genre will be a pleasant ride.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:26 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

We got some explanation of why she refers to her father by his given name. Presumably after her mother went missing he was unable to raise her by himself, so she lived with her grandparents for a number of years and only recently started living with her father again, so they are not exactly on normal father/daughter relationship levels.

I kind of like how agent girl inserted herself as a tutor and started to try and clue the girls in on things while Matoi keeps questioning why she is talking about it.

Also, a main character called Matoi and transforming sentient clothes, is anyone else being reminded of a different show? Hopefully she won't have to find out who killed her dad, or something.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:39 am Reply with quote
I think voiceless, glowing, awkwardly omni-present god-entity is my favorite character of the season.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:22 pm Reply with quote
If the episode titles are to be believed, the god us acting clueless.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3