• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Matoi the Sacred Slayer (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:05 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

Also, a main character called Matoi and transforming sentient clothes, is anyone else being reminded of a different show? Hopefully she won't have to find out who killed her dad, or something.

Lol it took me a second but nice joke. Anime hyper
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:04 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I think voiceless, glowing, awkwardly omni-present god-entity is my favorite character of the season.

You're weird. Wink
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Matoi singing a little song while taking off the box after changing was an adorable little touch. It's real strength of the series that the characters always feel so naturally in character. Even the villains, now that we've heard some real dialogue from them, come across pretty well and I wasn't even really expecting any conversation out of them.

Here's hoping that Matoi learns to fight soon. Only having one real combatant is going to get dull pretty quickly. The preview implies this could happen as early as next episode, which is good news.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Ep 5
That was a fun episode, and the pair of a lady fox and mr tanuki was overly cute as a youkai themed set up.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:54 pm Reply with quote
But I kind of feel bad for Yuma. For years, her aligned spirits have been sealed away and it looks like she used to have a lot of fun with them. I'm sure there was a good safety reason for her Grandfather doing what he did, but it still kind of sucked for her. Oh well, at least she's an exorcist girl now, which should make her happy.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Episode five is probably the best episode so far. The show hasn't done a good job portraying action or adult characters, but the protagonists are all well written and have good chemistry. An entire episode of playing to this strength really paid off.

I really enjoyed the music they used for the shopping trip. One of the better happy-everyday-activities-montage songs I've heard.

In line with Blood-'s comment above, I'm hoping we get more to the Yuma backstory to explain why the little fellers were sealed away in the first place. They seem pretty harmless on their own but maybe, as Matoi has been ever since she received her powers, it turns poor Yuma into a bit of a trouble magnet.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Yuma was hilarious as usual. It seems her Aligned Spirits give her an offensive and defensive capability. Next week - beach episode, woo-hoo! Looking forward to seeing the Divine Miss Luciela stuff herself into a bikini.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:04 pm Reply with quote
The Yuma-fied intro was fantastic. Really, the whole episode was really fun actually. I never would have called, at the start of the season, that by the middle of it I'd be enjoying this more than Izetta. It's a magical girl coup!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Episodes 5, 6 and 7

Finally made my way back to this series, and I feel like there has been a marked improvement. I think that HelloBucket is right that the show kind of falls in portraying adult characters, but it has some good chemistry elsewhere. I would say that with Yuma really getting involved it moved a bit from being so serious to playing around more with its concepts. Yuma's spirits kind of clash against the tone with the other two girls, but that actually feels kind of good as we were kind of already being told that Matoi's god was not normal, it has created this mesh of what feels like different sub-genre of I would say magical girls woven together. To help with it we have seen some silly looking Nights that can still be dangerous despite their unorthodox character, and it has kind of helped in adding personality.

Yuma was kind of annoying before where she feels like she does not fit in the serious tone, and like she is largely without hope trying to influence the show with her own tone. But I think that she has actually managed it ad kind of become the heart of the show. Going off the comparison I made before that the show has a strange amount of similarities with, Yuma is the Mako of the show. At first an invasive stickybeak who just seems to crazy, but then you see her as an energetic girl who is always true to who she is, who has absolute confidence in her bestie, but also does not want to be left out just because of her station.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

Wow, it's been a while since anybody has commented on the show. Anyway, this penultimate episode was pretty great, emotion-wise. It set the table for the finale perfectly. And I never picked up on Poichi the way Shingo did. That guy has some real detective skillz!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:18 pm Reply with quote
It was a good emotional episode.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:01 pm Reply with quote
This series has been such a gem, it takes the magical girl series in a "serious" fashion without needing to be grim dark.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Good "friendship and family triumphs over the death of the known universe" ending, considering the other magical girl themed series I followed this season had bitter sweet endings having a straight happy resolution is nice.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I could have lived with a bit more creative approach to the ending, but I liked the show in general. The relationship between Matoi and Shingo could have supported a really interesting show even without the supernatural stuff.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:01 pm Reply with quote
I rate this Good. I think bringing the whole concept of "transforming means you end up naked at some point" is an important evolution in the magical girl genre, but let's see it used when the lead isn't a 14 year old bean pole.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3