• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Great Passage (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dash56

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:41 pm Reply with quote
I was talking about this with on another forum but this series feels like it's about finding a passion and sharing it with others. It started with 2 people talking about their first experience with dictionaries. You can see Araki picking up Matsumoto's love for the project and wanting to complete it. From there it become infectious and little by little we see it branching out to affect other people. By the end of this episode even the temps felt a strong sense of pride which suggested this was more than just a regular job.

This show reminds me of when I found something I was actually good at and could make a career of it. It wasn't just enjoying work but also that sense of fulfillment. Such a good feeling.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:04 am Reply with quote
After my initial irritation, i've become pretty satisfied with the time skip. For example, i very much prefer the quiet familiarity between Kaguya and Majime to their awkward dates. I'm also hoping for Matsumoto-sensei to be able to see the final dictionary, though i'm having a bad feeling about it somehow...and of course, Nishioka is still my MVP. Smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:16 am Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:
Nice to see Nishioka got married. Very subtle the way they handled it.

Too subtle, since rings have a way of coming and going in this. I can't tell if it's meaningful or an oversight, but neither Matsumoto, his wife, nor Araki wear wedding rings.
dash56

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:29 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
After my initial irritation, i've become pretty satisfied with the time skip. For example, i very much prefer the quiet familiarity between Kaguya and Majime to their awkward dates. I'm also hoping for Matsumoto-sensei to be able to see the final dictionary, though i'm having a bad feeling about it somehow...and of course, Nishioka is still my MVP. Smile

That look on his face when Nishioka buys the second round Cool
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Even though it was foreshadowed, the last episode still had me tearing up. Anime cry

Majime and Kaguya are such a lovely couple, and it's nice to have confirmation that Nishioka married his girlfriend. Not only that but they have two adorable daughters! I enjoyed seeing Nishioka Papa. The scene was very charming and puts a smile on your face.
dash56

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:50 am Reply with quote
Beautiful doesn't begin to describe this touching finale. I'm glad I was wrong about Matsumoto-sensei's death or I would have missed out on those incredible scenes. I have to commend this series for getting me so emotionally invested without resorting to any type of excessive drama.

Hopefully when this show finally becomes more available it can gain an audience. Most underrated show of the season and my personal favorite of the year.

In other news, my live action "The Great Passage" came in last week and I've been saving it until this finished. Which worked out since I had to learn about region blocks and the hurdles that come with it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:54 am Reply with quote
The final card has me mightily confused. I think it's because I don't speak Japanese and don't have much of a clue about the organization of their dictionaries. >.>

灯 is, from what I can gather, pronounced "akari," but here it looks like ともしーび (tomoshiibi?). Google Translate thinks that means "And" Laughing while Breem's JDIC will only look at ともし which it recognizes as 灯. So I don't know what the ーび part means.

Then, where I expected from the brackets that they're using it in a sentence, the character 灯 doesn't appear at all, which means they haven't used it in a sentence. Instead they use 照らす(to illuminate). oO This seems like
confuse: (v.) to perplex. "The format bewildered me." wtf.

I guess I'd also expect a dictionary to have pronunciation guides, especially in Japanese where a character can have several readings which change the meaning and which also depend on context even if the meaning is the same (I think). But I forgive them omitting that on the display card. Smile

Anyway, really unique and marvelous series! It's a shame - if not for that one stupid missing word they would've made it with time to spare. Sad But as much as I'd love to sit down with any of these characters and have coffee and catch up, it's rather nice to have a series that ends where it should end and it really is The End. I don't need another season of this. With these eleven sumptuous episodes, I am replete. -.-
dash56

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:31 am Reply with quote
^^^^Of course an OVA of maybe the wedding with grandma and the gang wouldn't be so bad. Wink
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:39 am Reply with quote
dash56 wrote:
In other news, my live action "The Great Passage" came in last week and I've been saving it until this finished. Which worked out since I had to learn about region blocks and the hurdles that come with it.

If you have a DVD-ROM drive, open the DVD using VLC Player and it'll get around the region block for you.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
灯 is, from what I can gather, pronounced "akari," but here it looks like ともしーび (tomoshiibi?). Google Translate thinks that means "And" Laughing while Breem's JDIC will only look at ともし which it recognizes as 灯. So I don't know what the ーび part means.

Then, where I expected from the brackets that they're using it in a sentence, the character 灯 doesn't appear at all, which means they haven't used it in a sentence. Instead they use 照らす(to illuminate). oO This seems like
confuse: (v.) to perplex. "The format bewildered me." wtf.

In addition to akari, 灯 can be read as ともし (tomoshi) or ともしび (tomoshibi). Also, tomoshibi can be written as a single kanji 灯, or as 灯火.

The vocab word, in this case 灯, should be inserted where the ---- is in the usage example, so it'd be 僕らの行く先を灯が照らす.

Btw I recommend the Rikaichan plugin for Firefox and Chrome. =)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:25 am Reply with quote
Ok, I see. Thanks. I'm never sure what to make of ー when I see it. Seems like it's different every time I run into it.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:28 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Ok, I see. Thanks. I'm never sure what to make of ー when I see it. Seems like it's different every time I run into it.

Yeah, I had to do some thinking to figure it out too.

I just finished watching the live-action. I had also been saving it for after I finished the anime. There are some definite differences, but since I've never read the original novel, I don't know which version made the changes. I'm pretty sure the Jishotans are anime-only though. ^_~ Oh, and the time skip was 12 years, according to the live-action movie.

Miyazaki Aoi is always cute. The other actors are okay, and I do like Odagiri Joe, but I think Nishioka was more playful in the anime, which I liked better than the LA.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:59 am Reply with quote
That was a nice and very touching ending, i actually teared up a bit at Matsumoto-sensei's letter. Also very happy that Nishioka actually maried his girlfriend because they had awesome chemistry (and others sure will be glad to see that he did his share to raise Japan's birth rate at the very least... Wink ).

This actually made me alter my "top 5 of the year" list (sorry JoJo, i still love you!) because it's so rare to see slice-of-life anime featuring adults.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
That was a nice and very touching ending, i actually teared up a bit at Matsumoto-sensei's letter. Also very happy that Nishioka actually maried his girlfriend because they had awesome chemistry (and others sure will be glad to see that he did his share to raise Japan's birth rate at the very least... Wink ).

Well, at least they got back to the replacement rate! Maybe the Nishiokas will get busy and help cover for the Majimes!

Do authors in other nations do as well as the Japanese in building stories about such unlikely subjects as creating a dictionary? My literary background is largely confined to English and a bit of French. Other than Moby Dick I can't really think of anything I've read or watched outside of anime that takes on subjects like this one.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm never sure what to make of ー when I see it. Seems like it's different every time I run into it.
Some dictionaries (like this dictionary of Classical and archaic Japanese words) use a line like that in hiragana spellings in order to separate compound words into their constituent parts. In this case the word is a compound of 灯し, the conjunctive form of the verb 灯す ("to light"), and 火 ("fire"), though for some reason the only kanji spelling given is the one with a single character, which obscures the word's compound nature.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
I guess I'd also expect a dictionary to have pronunciation guides, especially in Japanese where a character can have several readings which change the meaning and which also depend on context even if the meaning is the same (I think). But I forgive them omitting that on the display card. Smile
The different readings aren't an issue in dictionaries like The Great Passage, since they're centred around words rather than kanji: the words are ordered according to their kana spelling, while the kanji are written in square brackets afterwards. Some dictionaries add an extra pronunciation guide by indicating the pitch accent (the numbers in thin square brackets in this dictionary).

Anyway, the show ended somewhat predictably, but fantastically nonetheless. Nishioka's heartfelt marketing pitch, a glimpse of his family life with Miyoshi and the understated triumph of the completion of a project were great and all, but Matsumoto-sensei speech about the insidious use of dictionaries in national policy and "keeping words and the hearts of those who use them free" felt like a thinly veiled attempt at pandering to me specifically Very Happy Seriously though, definitely in my top five for the year, and I'd really like to get my hands on the original novel now.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 11 (finale)

It was a lovely end, and it was a lovely anime. It did things a little different with a slice of life with working adults, and was mature in the proper sense. But I am rating it Decent (6/10), which really might seem dreadfully low for an anime that was kind of brave in doing this sort of adult story, but I think that it has been because I have been comparing this to another anime; Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu. Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu in my opinion already threw its hat in this type of niche, it even feels like the character designs are very similar, and the very thoughtful approach, but I feel that there is a big gap in quality between the two. Both are pretty low energy, one being about dictionary making and the other Rakugo performances, but Rakugo seemed to actually excel in those story moments where the camera was very much not static.

The animation in Great Passage though was pretty lacklustre, there was not an incredibly lot that was interesting, and when it tried to do its floaty words thing it actually felt a little intrusive. And I will note that one episode where the focus of the animation and art shifted where the art was a mess with increased animation, but was unnecessary. I actually think there might have been a bit of a problem with focus, like which character it was and what it wanted said. While it was really sweet and nice surprise that we saw Nishioaka in dad mode at the last episode, it was kind of late in how the series had brought us to want answers on that part which we only got at the very end. And the two halves of the series are kind of disjointed where it feels like we got the starts of arcs that got skipped with the time skip. Maybe one could claim that the relationships were not important, but that was actually part I was kind of invested in. I did not buy that some awkward stuttering thinking that she was beautiful without really being able to talk to her, was some sort of true love that was worth being invested on before they connected as people.

The show is not bad, it is a lovely time, but knowing what could be done makes me feel like it was flawed. Although it might really be just a victim of its funding, that they did the best with what they had, but it was also missing a sense of fun that maybe could have had me forgiving that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8