• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are UK Releases Slower Than North American Releases?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:46 pm Reply with quote
albanian wrote:
Can I help it that I'm one of those dinosaurs who insists on having a physical copy on my shelves?

Like wise and a little heads up AmazonJP now ship more stuff internationally and take UK debit cards soooo just cut out the middle man I say.
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There are plenty of shows that come out in the UK first, and sometimes they only come out in the UK!

And since One Piece was mentioned, I can give an example of this. While Funimation has only released movies 8, 10, and 12 of One Piece, Manga Entertainment licensed movies 1-9 directly from Toei and released them subbed (with the Funi dub of movie 8 included as a bonus feature) in 3-pack collections for the UK market.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I really liked the UK-made dub of Xenoblade Chronicles, so it makes me think about how there are probably plenty of promising voice actors in the UK if only its domestic market weren't so small.

veemonjosh wrote:
And since One Piece was mentioned, I can give an example of this. While Funimation has only released movies 8, 10, and 12 of One Piece, Manga Entertainment licensed movies 1-9 directly from Toei and released them subbed (with the Funi dub of movie 8 included as a bonus feature) in 3-pack collections for the UK market.

What happened to Movie 11? (Is that Strong World, or is it that weird 30-minute thing?)
Puniyo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:12 am Reply with quote
The problem here is DVD regions. The reason manga sells so well here is because they just sell the american copies here without any fuss of having to reprint the discs, so releases are timely. It's funny, the reason anime dvds don't sell amazingly here is because they take so long to release (Future Diary took six years. I just don't care about owning it on DVD anymore, it's been too long.), but they take so long to release because the sales numbers aren't high enough...
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:20 am Reply with quote
Also Anime limited seems to have taken over Manga Video for the most part ... and they prefer less sales over more money per unit doing all this limited editions... and for some stuff i don't care much for a limited editions ... also often these U.K Anime limited editions aren't even all that great compared to American releases or other European countries ... they might have a hell of a lot of text to read in a book and come maybe with like one key chain and they would charge lot's of money for it ...
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:51 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
What happened to Movie 11? (Is that Strong World, or is it that weird 30-minute thing?)

Strong World is movie 10. Movie 11 was the 30 minute 3D film "Straw Hat Chase", which hasn't been licensed by either Funimation or Manga yet.
endallchaos

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:51 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Quote:
Where an average US disc release might sell 10-15,000 units, a UK release might have trouble clearing 2,000.
That is a alarming, it makes you wonder how they survive. Is it even making a profit or just breaking even.

In terns if differences, I notice there seems to be more love for films in the UK market. Miss Hokusai and Giovanni's Island have both been released in a bigger way in the UK than the US, the later hasn't even got a US release yet, and the publisher for the former is going ahead with a release independent of Gkids. And there is the kickstarter for a western release of Mai Mia Miracle, and the fact that Anime Limited funded the dub for Cyborg 009.

Oh, man. You don't know how much I want a US company (hopefully FUNimation) to get the rights and release 'Giovanni's Island'.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:27 pm Reply with quote
albanian wrote:
Can I help it that I'm one of those dinosaurs who insists on having a physical copy on my shelves?

You're not alone buddy! Very Happy Laughing

Just Passing Through wrote:
On a very rare occasion, being in the UK can have its benefits, being close to Europe. we did get Magi, and World Conquest Zvezda Plot Blurays after all. Then again, Bakuman turned out to be something of debacle.

Edit: Just remembered, next week thanks to AU's Madman, Manga is releasing Rock Lee And his Ninja Pals, which I believe is unreleased in the US.

Still can't believe Magi was DVD only here...

fathomlessblue wrote:
In any case, it looks like both the US & UK are hedging their bets and releasing G Reco as a complete collection in the hopes that the Gundam title will sustain it. I can't imagine anyone picking up the second set if that was split into two.

Yeah, though it probably helped their decision from having to make a really hard choice that it's only 26 episodes and not 50 like usual.
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Another things that holds back UK releases is the British Board of Film Classification, who take their sweet time, are mandatory, and cost £250 for a 22-minute episode. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:31 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Another things that holds back UK releases is the British Board of Film Classification, who take their sweet time, are mandatory, and cost £250 for a 22-minute episode. Confused

What is the purpose of this body other than to force distributors to take a huge hit to their pockets?
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Kirkdawg wrote:
CatSword wrote:

What is the purpose of this body other than to force distributors to take a huge hit to their pockets?

Putting a little pimple on DVD packaging that says you can't sell Nisekoi to 14-year-olds.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:22 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:05 am Reply with quote
And yet the character shown on the cover of that volume of Nisekoi is 15 years old. I guess you have to be at the age of or older than the characters to safely watch it.

(For those not familiar with Nisekoi, it certainly isn't South Park or any. it's a pretty innocent romance story, albeit one with light harem elements that I'm guessing would make some people uncomfortable who aren't used to the idea.)
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:00 am Reply with quote
In the way the UK are the lucky ones; look at what they have to do in Australia.. The awkwardness of having a title on your shelf with a 15-year-old girl on the cover advising it contains sexual references and animated nudity...

This is why I'm so thankful for voluntary age rating systems in the United States, despite their oddities at times (Sentai, who rates To Love-Ru and Tonari no Seki-kun the same). Makes it much easier to distribute DVDs in the US than any other country.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:27 am Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
In the way the UK are the lucky ones; look at what they have to do in Australia.. The awkwardness of having a title on your shelf with a 15-year-old girl on the cover advising it contains sexual references and animated nudity...

This is why I'm so thankful for voluntary age rating systems in the United States, despite their oddities at times (Sentai, who rates To Love-Ru and Tonari no Seki-kun the same). Makes it much easier to distribute DVDs in the US than any other country.

This was largely due to the industry stepping in to self rate themselves, before the government decided to do so. It's the same reason we have the MPAA and Comics Code.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3