• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are UK Releases Slower Than North American Releases?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:32 pm Reply with quote
It is fair to say that the love shown towards the BBFC is somewhat muted from local fans of niche content. Despite the fact that American markets are, in general, no less conservative than British ones, the MPAA's voluntary system has proven to be adequate for curtailing harmful effects on younger viewers. This suggests that a mandatory film board is somewhat of a historical relic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Puniyo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:14 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
It is fair to say that the love shown towards the BBFC is somewhat muted from local fans of niche content. Despite the fact that American markets are, in general, no less conservative than British ones, the MPAA's voluntary system has proven to be adequate for curtailing harmful effects on younger viewers. This suggests that a mandatory film board is somewhat of a historical relic.

The best thing is, despite their moral superiority of being a mandatory ratings board, they purposefully lower the age certification on stuff they know will sell well.
The most well-known examples I can think of are that the live-action Tomb Raider movie was rated 12, and Deadpool was rated 15 (No stranger to Deadpool, but I didn't expect that much on display for a 15-rated film Razz)
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:14 am Reply with quote
endallchaos wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Quote:
Where an average US disc release might sell 10-15,000 units, a UK release might have trouble clearing 2,000.
That is a alarming, it makes you wonder how they survive. Is it even making a profit or just breaking even.

In terns if differences, I notice there seems to be more love for films in the UK market. Miss Hokusai and Giovanni's Island have both been released in a bigger way in the UK than the US, the later hasn't even got a US release yet, and the publisher for the former is going ahead with a release independent of Gkids. And there is the kickstarter for a western release of Mai Mia Miracle, and the fact that Anime Limited funded the dub for Cyborg 009.

Oh, man. You don't know how much I want a US company (hopefully FUNimation) to get the rights and release 'Giovanni's Island'.
It's weird that GKids spent money dubbing it, but haven't bothered releasing it.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:57 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
This was largely due to the industry stepping in to self rate themselves, before the government decided to do so. It's the same reason we have the MPAA and Comics Code.
The MPAA exists because the old Hays Code was causing Hollywood movies to have trouble competing with foreign films; there wasn't any government bothering causing them to do so. Both its and the ESRB's ratings are legally unenforceable on first amendment grounds. I'm not sure about the comics code, other than it was used to conveniently run competitors to DC and Marvel into the ground.
Nilrem

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Puniyo wrote:
Zin5ki wrote:

The best thing is, despite their moral superiority of being a mandatory ratings board, they purposefully lower the age certification on stuff they know will sell well.
The most well-known examples I can think of are that the live-action Tomb Raider movie was rated 12, and Deadpool was rated 15 (No stranger to Deadpool, but I didn't expect that much on display for a 15-rated film Razz)

I'm not sure they lower the rating, but the distributors and production companies making content aimed at the UK market know the ratings limits, and it's surprising what you can get away with now compared to 20-30 years ago.
Although it's worth noting that even 20 years ago you could have brief nudity in a 15 (or less I think) depending on the context, whilst they've loosened up on a lot of things, for example Mad Max was originally an 18 with cuts, after several re-submissions over the years it's a 15 uncut now.

The BBFC have some interesting podcasts and pages explaining how the ratings system works in relation to certain genres and has in the past (usually on the anniversary of it's release or when a sequel is due out) gone into quite some detail about how and why they gave an older film a specific rating at the time, and how and why it's got a different one today.

It's fun reading the BBFC's reasoning vs what the likes of the papers were saying at the time, and learning about the sort of political/public pressure they may have been under (if my memory is working they mention a couple of times when they bucked pressure from the government because it was going against their agreed rules and guidelines).

At least one of their podcasts covered how they deal with anime and the differences with it compared to live action, from memory they mentioned that they have to take into account it's often more obviously fantasy (and very obviously not real) but also possibly more likely to be assumed to be ok for children.

Think how things like Teenage Mutent Ninja Turtles was dealt with in the 90's and compare that to how anime is at the moment and the change mirrors what has happened in live action.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
The MPAA exists because the old Hays Code was causing Hollywood movies to have trouble competing with foreign films; there wasn't any government bothering causing them to do so. Both its and the ESRB's ratings are legally unenforceable on first amendment grounds. I'm not sure about the comics code, other than it was used to conveniently run competitors to DC and Marvel into the ground.

The difference between the MPAA and ESRB and the CCA is that the MPAA and ESRB are content ratings, whereas the CCA is a series of rules. The content ratings allow people who make movies and video games to put whatever they want and submit it to the ratings board, and then the board hands back the rating. The CCA, however, outright bans particular content (and, until the mid-80's, were very anal about it, to the point where artist Marv Wolfman couldn't have his name in comic books because it contains the word "wolfman").

The MPAA and ESRB can restrict where certain movies and games can be advertised if they get an NC-17 or an AO, respectively, but that's about it.

Also, a third company had a heavy hand in the CCA's creation and may have been at the center of it: Archie Comics. Archie's content is drastically different and way more family-friendly than even DC and Marvel, focusing solely on sitcoms and Scooby-Doo type mysteries until Sonic the Hedgehog, and they were well-protected within the CCA. I think it's no coincidence that Archie was the last major comic book publisher to do away with the CCA, and by then the company was in financial trouble (with Ken Penders in a good position to win the copyright case against Archie).

Nilrem wrote:
The BBFC have some interesting podcasts and pages explaining how the ratings system works in relation to certain genres and has in the past (usually on the anniversary of it's release or when a sequel is due out) gone into quite some detail about how and why they gave an older film a specific rating at the time, and how and why it's got a different one today.

It's fun reading the BBFC's reasoning vs what the likes of the papers were saying at the time, and learning about the sort of political/public pressure they may have been under (if my memory is working they mention a couple of times when they bucked pressure from the government because it was going against their agreed rules and guidelines).

At least one of their podcasts covered how they deal with anime and the differences with it compared to live action, from memory they mentioned that they have to take into account it's often more obviously fantasy (and very obviously not real) but also possibly more likely to be assumed to be ok for children.

Think how things like Teenage Mutent Ninja Turtles was dealt with in the 90's and compare that to how anime is at the moment and the change mirrors what has happened in live action.

That's really cool that they publicly explain their reasons like that. It means they're open to public discussion about how things should be rated and why. The MPAA is notoriously closed off, and while the ESRB is still something I have a lot of respect for due to their detailed reasonings on their website, I don't think there are enough game historians or pop culture scholars at the ESRB to do a podcast like that.

EDIT: Wait, what happened? The ESRB website used to have a full paragraph explaining exactly the things in a game that might be age-inappropriate or otherwise offensive. I don't see them anymore. Some do, and some don't. I looked upSkullgirls and now it seems to be missing, whereas No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle has two large paragraphs.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Sometime back there was one game that got a puritanical rant in the description instead of the disinterested one it was supposed to have. They might be a little more reticent after that.

But the ESRB's main strength is that government rating boards almost always have the power to ban movies and games by refusing to classify them. I don't recall the ESRB refusing to classify games, but the AO rating they give out does inspire a lot of self censorship: any game that gets that sweet kiss of death tends to get hacked up until they're satisfied and give it an M since most places won't sell AO games, no matter the reason for the rating.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:46 pm Reply with quote
In the case of One Piece IIRC there was a specific reason for it taking a long time, in that Toei wanted TV exposure and couldn't understand how difficult and expensive that would be.
Re the Hokusai dub, there an Anime Limited podcast (featuring some yank called Justin or something) where they go into detail of why they specifically decided not to dub it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3