• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are Funimation And Crunchyroll Getting Married?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chaccide

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

So, if you want SAME state as before announcement, you now get $2 discount. It's even better if you only wanted subs because, before this:
CR ($7) + FUNi (sub only: $5) = $12
now:
CR = $7

Again, the ONLY people who would see negative effects is people who were "FUNi only", for them, you either lose subs or pay $5 more for MORE content than before. So one could argue its STILL a "net win", but its understandable if viewed as a loss if you don't like non-FUNi content.

Except this isn't quite right, because Funi is keeping some of their subs. So right now I pay CR ($ 6/mo) and Funi ($3.33/mo) for $9.33.

To get all the subs I'll have to pay $6 + $6 =$12 (I buy yearly subscriptions.)

So it will cost more.

Now, considering I buy Netflix, Hulu ad-free, and Amazon, it's not going to make me change my mind. But I wanted to point out it's not saving everyone money.

One nice thing I saw in my email from Funi today is that they're refunding excess subscription money we don't use. Very cool. Many companies wouldn't bother.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Justin, thanks for touching on the second part of your article. It was something that I had been thinking about. From a business standpoint in Japan, it wouldn't make sense having one, or two allied companies having a stranglehold on North America, and by extension most English language markets (often as well as Central and South America when it comes to streaming). I'm sure there will be some responses from them to help keep competition going in our market.

I remember hearing and reading that one of the main reasons that Sentai was given it's start was so that Funimation didn't have a near monopoly on the market. It made sense to not only help a new competitor, but to also have it run by people who were already familiar with the market.

Also, another poster said it appears that the R1 businesses hadn't learned anything from the market collapse. However, you have to keep in mind that many of the current companies weren't around at that period. CrunchyRoll got its start as a pirated content site, and only started licensing anime a few years ago after the market recovered. Aniplex and PonyCan are new entrants to the market, while DiscoTek was around at the time but also an extremely small operation with very, very few licenses. Only Funimation and Viz truly survived the collapse. Ledford and company did make it through the collapse, but ADV ultimately was broken up and reformed into smaller companies (Sentai, Section 23, and Anime Network most notably.)

Not to mention, some of the increase in price has been driven not just by Funi, Sentai, and Viz, but by new entrants into the market. In addition to CR jumping in, you've also had Netflix and Amazon take the leap, and the last two were completely unfamiliar with the niche anime market. They were solely looking at these shows in comparison to what their typical shows cost, and anime probably seems like a bargain to them even if they are helping drive prices up to unsustainable levels.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:32 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
It's not going to hit budgets that fast. Heck the fall shows are already at some stage of production. Whatever effect this has on revenues will take longer to affect production than one month or even a few months unless these companies are really badly off.

Precisely why most fall 2016 are already at some stage in production is why they will be affected. Not really romantic to be shown in shirobako, but AFAIK one of the first things they need to do is a budget, "how much will this cost?" is what the production committe needs to know, they do not write blank checks. They obviously know that companies at china and the USA buy streaming rights for big bucks and they pay upfront. So if the anime costs 100 and they expect to get at least 30 in revenue from USA+China, they will fork 70 to pay for the production process. But if due to the crunchy/funi alliance they only get 20 (including what chinese streamers pay), they are getting a budget of 90 instead of 100 and they will probably start to cut corners like crazy. As someone else mentioned in shows like grimgar (and this season qualidea code) there are episodes with plenty of still frames (probably due to some scenes not making it in time), now imagine what happens if they simply can't pay at all for those cuts required for one episode?
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
jsevakis wrote:

Not true. The huge amount of money going into the industry from both the US and China has greatly contributed to the quantity of shows being produced. Now that the revenue is contracting, we can expect production to follow suit. We just don't know by how much.

Anime is still mostly maintained by the Japanese market. Nobody buys anime related products like the Japanese. And in the future anime will be even more dependent of Japanese market. I don't expect to be a big drop of the amount of anime produce as long as the Japanese market stay as is now. Sure there are more money now than ever from streaming abroad, but is that what driving the anime market to the number of shows per year we have now? I don't think so.
Is the Japanese market that are sustain it.

That runs counter to everything we've seen over the last half decade, as well as every ounce of common sense most people should have at this point. The anime industry is becoming more and more global and international every year. Justin already said in this Answerman that some shows are reaching $200k per episode. That literally nearly pays for some shows by itself! And then you have Amazon putting down, according to Justin, multi-millions(over $5m, if I remember right) for the Noitamina deal. You also have Netflix co-producing a new show, and Toonami co-producing a new show. Oh, and then you have China, which is reportedly seeing streaming numbers on their legal sites of literally 10 times what some shows are getting in Japan. And they are working with Japan to produce several China/Japan collaborations. Maybe they'll eventually make their own thing entirely, but they seem pretty happy working jointly at this point. But anyway, the market is moving more and more international. Japan is still the heart, but they are not where the future of anime is, not in the slightest. Especially not if they don't start having more babies.

{Edit: Please refrain from excessive quoting.. I edited your post for you. ~ Psycho 101}
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I was considering some Funimation shows, but they make a lot of choices in how they bring things over that I haven't liked. But if they're gonna give it to me within my Crunchy sub, I can make do.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:46 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Precisely why most fall 2016 are already at some stage in production is why they will be affected. Not really romantic to be shown in shirobako, but AFAIK one of the first things they need to do is a budget, "how much will this cost?" is what the production committe needs to know, they do not write blank checks. They obviously know that companies at china and the USA buy streaming rights for big bucks and they pay upfront. So if the anime costs 100 and they expect to get at least 30 in revenue from USA+China, they will fork 70 to pay for the production process. But if due to the crunchy/funi alliance they only get 20 (including what chinese streamers pay), they are getting a budget of 90 instead of 100 and they will probably start to cut corners like crazy. As someone else mentioned in shows like grimgar (and this season qualidea code) there are episodes with plenty of still frames (probably due to some scenes not making it in time), now imagine what happens if they simply can't pay at all for those cuts required for one episode?

Even if that is how much they get percentage wise from the US streaming, this is not how companies that are not on the verge of bankruptcy budget. They should have at least enough money to cover marginally less revenue for like a quarter. Unless they are really poorly off, they have some money. They will not immediately have no money to do it. You're really in trouble if you can't cover in-progress projects with money you already have. Basically, if you are basing wholly 30% of your budget on money that you don't even have yet or even negotiated for, you going to be in deep deep trouble sooner or later.

Plus is much of this money even going to the studios? Cause if it's going to the production committee, that does not affect the budget of the studio. That just will change the calculus of the companies involved in production committees on how many anime they can feasible make. That will take longer than one quarter let alone one month to take effect.
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:55 pm Reply with quote
ANN wrote:
I'm sure some licensors will want to work with them more in order to prevent CrunchyMation (FuniRoll?) from having a total monopoly.

I see you guys deleted my comment, which was the first to mention what's stated in the bold, in the CR/Funi partnership announcement article, just so you wouldn't have to source me and can claim that as your own. Well done.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:11 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Oh my god! Things are way, way crazier than I anticipated. I guess companies learned nothing from the last anime bubble. I want to believe that those insane fees only apply to the My Hero Academias and One-Punch Mans. Because if those fees are close to the standard across the board, NISA will never publish anime again and Sentai will soon be forced out of the market.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking--aren't some of these anime producers the same people as during the anime bubble several years ago? One could say that international markets were not a big concern back then, but international sales are becoming increasingly important for the anime industry as it continues to be increasingly niche.

samuelp wrote:
The bubble in licensing isn't solely because of Netflix, Amazon, or Funi/CR competition over licenses, it's also because of the rise of China and Chinese streaming companies coming in and paying 6 figures themselves, just for asian rights.

But China's population is a lot bigger than all of North America combined, and bigger than North America and Europe combined, for that matter. While the proportion of people in China able to stream is lower than North America or Europe, the audience is still tremendous and potentially the largest. So I would think it'd be logical to charge licensing fees proportional to the predicted size of its audience. No sane businessperson would charge six-figure sums for a foothold in St. Vincent and the Grenadines, for one.

Psycho 101 wrote:
The problem is FuniRoll could do the same to NA fans. Buy these titles at this price or you get nothing. We've got 90% of all the titles you want so you gotta pay what we say. Hopefully they don't do that because if they did start gouging prices themselves they would cause more people to go back to more illicit ways of getting their anime.

If businesses are partnering up or otherwise consolidating because of a shrinking market, they will not jack up prices. When an industry gets to a point where companies either drop like flies or huddle up for survival, they will keep their prices competitive even if one company remains, because the last thing they want is to kill themselves.

The one remaining company is not really a monopoly because it faces competition from other industries. Chuck E. Cheese's faces competition from the console, computer, and mobile game markets, for instance (but got direct competition not long after in the form of Dave & Buster's). Barnes & Noble has to compete with digital readers. Toys R Us has to compete with general retail stores, both online (like Amazon) andbrick-and-mortar (like Target).

It's a different case when an industry is thriving and only a few companies remain.

I don't think the anime industry is at either of these two extremes though. I see the FUNimation-Crunchyroll partnership as just that: A partnership and nothing more. I see it as closer to the merger of Price Club and Costco, or the Star Alliance (comprising of dozens of smaller airline companies), whose purposes are to play to each other's strengths and negate each other's weaknesses.

angelmcazares wrote:
I don't see much problem with 1-2 weeks delays of simulcasts and physical released being pushed back 2-3 months. That will not be the ideal situation, but I will happily take that over the N.A. anime industry going up in flames, trying to outbid China's deep pockets.

I hope N.A companies are smart and that they don't let themselves be bullied by greedy Japanese companies.

They will lose the "keeping up with the Joneses" crowd though, the viewers who watch to keep up to date and not get lost in their friends' conversations. Once a week has passed by, it's become old news.

As successful Viz's Weekly Shonen Jump is, they are still deeply hurt by the fact that they are 4 to 5 days behind the speed-scanlators. By the time Viz's version comes out, the topic of the schoolyard/college grounds/water cooler has already moved to something else.

peno wrote:
If it was just a week or two, it wouldn't be that big of a fuel for piracy. I still remember the fansubbing era and mostly if you got the episode in two weeks from Japanese airdate, it was small miracle. Of course there were some fastsub groups, who could produce a sub within a days of Japanese release date, but their subs were usually really bad. And not only subtitle-wise, sometimes even the video and/or audio quality was bad (I remember Naruto Shippuden fansubs, who used letterboxed SD video). Not to mention you never knew if the group will actually finish the show you started to watch. So, if it was only a matter of week or two to wait for episode being done in quality subs and have the peace that the show will eventually be finished, I guess many people would still go with it, even though they may not be happy about it. If it was anything more then that, however, that may really be problem. Still, let's hope that we will not get even to those 1-2 weeks era.

From my experiences, it was always a race to keep up to date with popular shows. If you didn't see it the day the fansub came out, you were that kid who didn't see the latest episode of that show. Some of them did watch the better fansubs that came out later, but most of the people I knew in high school and college who watched anime didn't care about the quality, only that they got to see it as soon as possible and be familiar with what went on in the episode.

Even now, you still have some groups that are mostly fansub-watchers and scanlator-readers, like One Piece. I've been seeing increased usage of official English-language phrases like "Seven Warlords of the Sea" versus "Shichibukai," or "Gum-Gum Fruit" versus "Gomu Gomu no Mi" though, so maybe the official translations are gaining ground there. (It is weird that the One Piece Wikia is the only one among WSJ titles that use only scanlation terms though.)

Lemonchest wrote:
I imagine the two sharing catalogues also helps protect against losing subscribers to each other, since now users will have less reason to switch between providers. One question that raises, though, is whether it means subscriber numbers are plateauing, requiring CR & Funi to move to protect the users they have as much as attempt to attract new ones. Which makes one wonder, depending precisely on how this deal plays out, if they're in danger of falling foul of anti-trust laws; not that any regulatory body is likely to care about anime.

They won't. This partnership faces competition from services like Netflix and Hulu, which have other TV shows. Anime only makes up a small part of all TV shows made after all.

You only bring in the anti-trust hammer if the entire field is getting crushed under one company and there are no similar alternatives. The question is: Does the consumer have a choice of not using the company's products or services? That's why Standard Oil was struck with an anti-trust case where Wacom was not.

Jonny Mendes wrote:
Right now are more money coming from China but that will become less and less relevant because China is know for first buying everything from abroad until they start making their on versions later. Soon or later there will be a flood of Chinese anime-like cartoons and anime will have difficulties not only with keeping the China market and others markets too, because for sure they will be allot cheaper to license than anime.

As a consumer, as far as I'm concerned, that's more entertainment for me.

Of course, the big thing is if the Chinese will be able to produce good writing for their animation. The Koreans have been struggling at this for decades despite close proximity to Japan and doing outsourced animation for both Japan and North America.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:01 am Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
ANN wrote:
I'm sure some licensors will want to work with them more in order to prevent CrunchyMation (FuniRoll?) from having a total monopoly.

I see you guys deleted my comment, which was the first to mention what's stated in the bold, in the CR/Funi partnership announcement article, just so you wouldn't have to source me and can claim that as your own. Well done.

Excuse me? For starters are you saying you are the anonymous person who asked the question? Because if so are you seriously claiming that ANN tried to steal your thunder on a nickname? Really? Yes, we go around stealing nicknames, hashtag jokes, and memes to garner more internet street cred. Rolling Eyes

If you're talking about your comment in this thread that was removed then you said no such thing. Your comment was exactly, "Funimation and Crunchyroll are doing big things. Nice." followed by you saying laughing at a rude/trollish cancer joke. Your post was deleted because it was a pointless quote of a rude post that was deleted and also a one liner. Just like how I already deleted one of your other posts tonight for being rude to another poster.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:12 am; edited 2 times in total
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:10 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
But even if CR and FUNI are allowed to jointly acquire licenses, can't the Japanese licensors say "since you are now partners with more resources combined, you pay us $350,000 per episode"?

I think Crunchymation has pretty big leverage in saying "well what if we, the largest anime streaming service and publisher respectviely, decide to just not air/publish your show?" That can probably be very damaging for the proceeds of the show in the US. Before, when the Japanese companies could get Crunchyroll and Funi to bid against each other, it was easier to drive the prices up by threatening to go to the other company. Without that competition, FuniRoll has an easier time setting their own prices --- I'd think the Japanese companies stand to lose more by going with much lesser known alternative streaming services/publishers, than they would from taking what they can get from Crunimatoll.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:07 am Reply with quote
Razor/Edge wrote:
Aniplex has plenty of titles on Crunchyroll (including dubs). I wonder how they will respond to this. TBH, i'm surprised they haven't tried to force people into using Daisuki and putting their shows exclusively on that platform. I do worry that Sentai is going to be in trouble. Several of their titles are only on Hulu now and Hulu doesn't seem that interested in anime. Will they turn into Discotek and Media Blasters and stop being able to license newer shows? As a precaution, i'll probably start focusing on buying up their series that I want, just in case the worst happens. I was excited when I read about this yesterday, but now it seems like there could be downsides to it as well. Japan won't be happy about lower licensing prices, and that might make another Japanese company try to enter the American market to cut out the middle man and get the all the profits themselves. The anime market is definitely going to be different now, and only time will tell if it's a positive or a negative.

Aniplex, and Sentai both stream their titles in a number of locations. Now whether they pull their shows from CR remains to be seen. Aniplex titles are available just about everywhere, including many shows on Netflix. Sentai and Viz have also expanded their streaming to TubiTV, which is available on most streaming boxes and online. Sentai also streams nearly all their subtitled shows, and many of their dubbed shows on Anime Network in North America (and select titles also stream in Latin America). Not to mention, many of their titles that were set to be purged from Hulu in July and August are still streaming, so it's possible that they've secured longer deals for those.

However this, at least in the short term, could affect their access to newer titles. However, it seems the skyrocketing costs of licenses was already doing that. When you can easily spend $2 million on a license, it can also cut into the money you can spend on packaging, marketing, and dubs. This is probably the single biggest reason we've seen Sentai cut back on thei number of dubs they are producing each month, and probably has contributed to Fun's increase in subtitled only releases.

Although, if this does eventually cause licensing prices to drop, it could have ultimately be a positive for them as far as acquiring new shows goes. While they will still have to compete to against the combined power of Funimation and CR, they will only really be bidding against one entity for all practical purposes. This could cut down on the back and forth over licensing fees, as one less step may be required.

That being said, it does have the potential to over saturate the market with physical releases. Each anime fan only has so much money, and with so many potential titles coming out at the same time, it could eat it into everyone's home video profits. Funimation and Sentai in particular are going to have to careful about how many releases they put out each month, and how many news releases are hitting the market each week.

Funimation has a much bigger B&M exposure, due to their use of Universal for distribution. While this allows them to get more releases in more stores, and potentially more sales, it also opens them up to the possibility of high retailer returns. This is particularly a concern if they are over flooding the market with releases. They will have to be smart and careful not to get bit in the ass.

Sentai does have some B&M sales, but the vast majority of their sales seem to come from online sites. Since most websites strive to keep a good assortment, there is very little, and often no retailer returns from them (other than defective products or customer returns).

Sentai still has a pretty big catalog of titles that haven't been released yet. They still have several simulcast titles left in their queue, the Sunrise titles, plus any catalog titles that they haven't announced yet. It's not unusual for us to not know about an acquisition of an older show from them until it's just a few weeks before its solicitation. So it's really hard to say exactly how many shows they have that are still awaiting release. Regardless, they definitely have enough work to keep them going for a while, and they should be able to ride out what will hopefully be a short term storm.
NimbusRain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:23 am Reply with quote
Does this mean Funimation can finally get rolling on a Dragon Ball Super dub? From the sound of things, the reason it hasn't happened yet was due to negotiations involving the licensing. With their biggest competitor out of the bidding, surely there is no one else to get in the way of Funimation acquiring the rights to Super now, right?

It just boggles my mind that in the era of simulcasts, Funimation (the guys who were literally built on DBZ) have taken over a year to secure the rights to a new Dragon Ball series!
aereus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:58 am Reply with quote
The profitability in the NA market is similar to that of Japan: The premium sets make the money, and trying to race to the gutter on pricing doesn't work. Japan settled on the pricepoint they did for a reason. Similar is true of the NA market: The ones making a comfortable profit are ones like Aniplex and Pony Canyon that offer 1-cour premium sets around the $150 pricepoint.

Most people don't want to buy anime media at any price. Those that do will pay the premium for the series they love.

IMHO this whole CR thing, other than lining their owners pockets after cashing in on their piracy and using slave, I mean free labor, is a mixed bag. It's good for legal access for fans, but bad for the market overall. Too many now just pay a subscription and sit back thinking they're saving the industry or something. This is why anime and manga sales are still in the gutter. Japan is just hoping that the aggregate pennies from the huge international streaming market can offset nobody buying media anymore. Only problem is they're getting greedy and running the market into the ground like in 2005 all over again. Guess some things never change.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:31 am Reply with quote
aereus wrote:
The profitability in the NA market is similar to that of Japan: The premium sets make the money, and trying to race to the gutter on pricing doesn't work. Japan settled on the pricepoint they did for a reason. Similar is true of the NA market: The ones making a comfortable profit are ones like Aniplex and Pony Canyon that offer 1-cour premium sets around the $150 pricepoint.

I can't speak for the anime industry, but if this is true for other businesses, you'd see nothing but luxury cars and fancy restaurants.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:51 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

That runs counter to everything we've seen over the last half decade, as well as every ounce of common sense most people should have at this point. The anime industry is becoming more and more global and international every year. Justin already said in this Answerman that some shows are reaching $200k per episode. That literally nearly pays for some shows by itself! And then you have Amazon putting down, according to Justin, multi-millions(over $5m, if I remember right) for the Noitamina deal. You also have Netflix co-producing a new show, and Toonami co-producing a new show. Oh, and then you have China, which is reportedly seeing streaming numbers on their legal sites of literally 10 times what some shows are getting in Japan. And they are working with Japan to produce several China/Japan collaborations. Maybe they'll eventually make their own thing entirely, but they seem pretty happy working jointly at this point. But anyway, the market is moving more and more international. Japan is still the heart, but they are not where the future of anime is, not in the slightest. Especially not if they don't start having more babies.

I understand your point but remember that we are talking about Japan. Do you think people in the rest of the world are going to buy anime related products like in Japan?
Almost all anime are made for advertising of other products for the Japanese market.
How many of this season anime is a original anime?

Sure the numbers for streaming are amazing, but that will not go forever, more when China enter the market of making anime-like animation.Then the price will drop like a stone.
Internet is know to be very unstable.The market go up and down like a roller coaster.
Japanese like stability, and noting is more stable than the Japanese market.

Yes the Japanese population is decreasing. But is expect with some government support at family and labor level that the numbers will stabilize around 100 000 000 with a fertility rate of 1.4 to 1.8. Japan is suffering from the same problem that most developed countries have but in a accelerated scale. There was a baby boon after WW2 and until the population don't come to normal sustainable levels, there will be a decrease of population. This will happen is developed countries, just not at the same rate as Japan.

leafy sea dragon wrote:

Of course, the big thing is if the Chinese will be able to produce good writing for their animation. The Koreans have been struggling at this for decades despite close proximity to Japan and doing outsourced animation for both Japan and North America.

I have read some of the available Chinese Web Novels and some have pretty good stories, so the talent is there. Lets see if is good in animation too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7