• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What's Up With Dollar Store Anime Releases?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Brand wrote:
Here is a good example of how bad some of these can be, this one, is high on the awful.

It didn't start off too bad. I mean, the reflection of the sky in the well water was a nicely artistic touch. Then they started some sort of actual dialog. Shocked Hard to place the accents, but it sounded either German or Russian (though the title card was German). Clearly phonetic readings (the next time anyone makes fun of Engrish, I'm pointing them to this).

I skipped ahead to some scene with the frog and some woodland animals talking, except none of them were talking, just lip flap, while the frog seemed to be falling asleep. I skipped ahead several minutes and the frog was still falling asleep! Skipping several times again, just trying to find out whether they'd completely given up on the dub half way through or not, I finally got some more dialog, but by then I'd had enough. Seriously, that was amazing. Very Happy
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Brand wrote:
My friend collects these DVDs. Some are alright, and some are OH GOD HOW DID ANYONE THINK THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA!!! Some of them might be worth watching with friends while drunk and/or high. Here is a good example of how bad some of these can be, this one, is high on the awful. So, I wouldn't watch to much of it, it might make your brain leak from your nose.

Wow. That's even worse than Dingo Picture's typical quality standards.
kenrobinson1982

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Just going by the name alone, Space Thunder Kids sounds like the best thing ever.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:16 pm Reply with quote
I've seen those DVDs at the 99 Cents Only store. I've seen lots of Inuyasha DVDs and saw some Tokyopop like Reign: The Conqueror. I also a few Kimba the Lion DVDs although they were select episodes. There was also an Area 88 Boxset with volume 1. I've seen Project ARMs, Trouble Chocolate, Yu-gi-oh the Movie and I had the luck of finding volume 7 of Zoids: Chaotic Century/Guardian Force (I quickly snatched that one up)
gwdone

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Brand wrote:
My friend collects these DVDs. Some are alright, and some are OH GOD HOW DID ANYONE THINK THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA!!! Some of them might be worth watching with friends while drunk and/or high. Here is a good example of how bad some of these can be, this one, is high on the awful. So, I wouldn't watch to much of it, it might make your brain leak from your nose.

I've just booked at least a 34 min 47 seconds session of some heavy duty couch time with my shrink to discuss this link situation further. I now have some very serious questions about life in general.
25 thumbs up? Must be those funky far left of the left handed cigs. Thanks for sharing!
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Digiview also released several Korean-produced features from the 80s that were made with cels clearly bootlegged from mecha anime TV series that were in production at the time and partially outsourced to Korea. Given fake American credits and dubbed horribly, these films (given laughably generic names like Space Thunder Kids and Defenders of Universe) were pretty much unwatchable. (I had copies of all of them before selling them on eBay last year.)

Oh wow, I literally just learned about the existence of Space Thunder Kids yesterday. Very Happy The clips I saw featured dubbing that would make even an Odex stinker sound like an A-lister Ghibli dub, and it was downright hilarious seeing blatant Yamatos and Voltrons flying around. I feel like the only reason no one ever got sued for that was because the Japanese production companies probably didn't even know it existed.
gwdone

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:19 pm Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
I've been to a dollar store that sold DVDs of "Tekkonkinkreet".

Wow! As in the Aniplex / Sony version? That's pretty high quality for a Dollar Store shelf.

At a Dollar General or Family Dollar where I live, I saw the live action Blood The Last Vampire in stock as of a week ago. I already had it though.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Brand wrote:

I skipped toward the 30 minute mark and the voice acting and animation were so all off-base from each other it was horrible!

Reminds me of CDi Zelda, but even that at least had the animation and voice acting matching...IIRC.
IanC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Justin wrote:
For a few years these discs lined every dollar store and discount store in the country, and there were also reports of them showing up in the UK.

This may or may not count, but I recall seeing a glut of Salaryman Kintaro box-sets being vended for next to nothing in a small-town shop several years ago. I declined the offer through my suspicions of their authenticity, though I recall they later proved to be genuine.

They were legit, iirc.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:57 pm Reply with quote
magnus4001 wrote:
Just going by the name alone, Space Thunder Kids sounds like the best thing ever.

Well then, just you go ahead and watch it, it's available in all its glory on YouTube. I refuse to be held responsible for any medical expenses you may incur for brain damage.

Space Thunder Kids was actually created when Joseph Lai took 5-6 of his previously released Korean knock-off cartoons, threw all the footage in a wood chipper, picked up random pieces of film and taped them together. He then redubbed the whole mess but only did so to change some character names, making no effort to change the "plot" of any of the segments to make this any more coherent.

There is one scene that must be seen to be appreciated (it is repeated). If you do watch it you will know it when you see it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Don't be coy, give us a time code. Smile
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:10 pm Reply with quote
gwdone wrote:
revolutionotaku wrote:
I've been to a dollar store that sold DVDs of "Tekkonkinkreet".

Wow! As in the Aniplex / Sony version? That's pretty high quality for a Dollar Store shelf.

At a Dollar General or Family Dollar where I live, I saw the live action Blood The Last Vampire in stock as of a week ago. I already had it though.

Yes, it was the Aniplex/Sony version. I was very surprised that the dollar store was able to sell a whole bunch of them for $1 each.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I know that Big Lots used to sell off overflow inventory of single DVD volumes and movies. I stopped in there once or twice after learning about it (turns out shopping there is an...experience), and I managed to score both Tekkonkinkreet and Steamboy for next to nothing.
chaccide

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Brand wrote:

Now that was worth a dollar!

I wonder if these are now streaming on those crappy free cartoon/movie channels on Roku that show D-grade shows.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:23 pm Reply with quote
From my perspective, I didn't know discount DVDs were becoming rare. I still see them at every Big Lots I've visited, and even the Wal•Marts still have a rack of mockbusters up at the front. I do notice titles come and go though. I'm glad I nabbed Santa Claus Conquers the Martians when I could, but I foolishly passed on the Mexican film simply called Santa Claus.

Triltaison wrote:
-Although Mondo TV genuinely confuses me as to why they started doing this process a year or two ago exclusively in Walmarts (although it apparently failed because they're all gone from stores now). It's the only way to get any copies of some shows like Tatsunoko's Cinderella Monogatari and Robin Hood no Daiboken at all. It used to be the same for Jungle Book: Shonen Mowgli, but Shout! Factory did a set for that. I keep my fingers crossed that they might do some of the old Tatsunoko stuff, too.

Shout! Factory is a godsend if you're looking for TV shows no one else is willing to sell on home video. I got my complete sets of The Super Mario Bros. Super Show! and The Legend of Zelda when I could. Too bad some of the episodes were missing their live-action segments. I presume this is because they had celebrity guests and getting permission would've been too cost-prohibitive.

Brand wrote:

I have a guess regarding Der Froschkönig. Assuming that it was originally made in Germany, this was most likely made to take advantage of a project from the German government, where they would provide a bunch of money to any German person who made a movie. The idea was to incentivize domestic German filmmaking under the idea that there must be some talented filmmakers in Germany who are hamstrung because they can't afford to make one. What resulted instead was brain cleaner like this, where they'd put something together as quickly and cheaply as possible so they can get more money out of this government program than they spent making the movie. That is, movies like these were sold to the general public only to fulfill the requirements the German government had to receive that money.

I am certain Der Froschkönig is one of those productions, because there are a lot of moments meant to just kill time so the runtime can be longer than 30 minutes, like the four minutes straight of that princess walking down the path telekinetically moving that ball around before dropping it.

This program also created Uwe Boll's career. Remember him?

CatSword wrote:
For some reason I see a lot of the Marvel anime (Blade, Iron Man, etc) at dollar stores.

Same here. For a year or so, also, Tales of the Black Freighter flooded these bargain DVD shelves. (That was the animated companion movie to the live-action Watchmen.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3