• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Professional Cosplayer Enako Reveals Her Lucrative Income

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:01 pm Reply with quote
{Edit}: Crass and degrading post removed. ~ Psycho 101
OwlBiceps

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Time to bust out the sailor moon suit.
Dextres

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:11 pm Reply with quote
OwlBiceps wrote:
Time to bust out the sailor moon suit.

Can I take pictures?

nah I'm kidding, have fun!
Aphasial
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:12 pm Reply with quote
There seems to be quite the variation among some cosplayers in the US.

Some are doing it purely at a loss as a hobby. Some get enough in financial support from paid events to justify leaving the day job. Some are pulling in $15K/month on Patreon from males, and one or two are now minor celebrities in and of themselves between their endorsements and FHM appearances.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:32 pm Reply with quote
I'd rather see this, than professional "live reactors."
JRPGNATION

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Why was I born ugly!? Evil or Very Mad She cute though Embarassed Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Pure reasons I swear. Rolling Eyes Very Happy Cool Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I do wonder how much photographers make?
NishizawaMihashi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Man, I'm curious. Stage events and various other deals are one thing but like, usually what these cosplayers tend to do, at least from what I've seen both at Comiket and locally, is that they'd sell merchandise of themselves that are typically photo collections. I mean, at Comiket there's cosplayers who sell off saucy material of themselves which would definitely entice a lot of folks, but I dunno, I still can't figure out how you could sell as much till you hit a substantial revenue doing so.
Remington Steele

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:27 pm Reply with quote
She must be really good and in demand. Other wise I can't see her earning 100K a month off cosplaying. A lot of Japanese or Asian female cosplayers are beautiful in their character outfits. It's nice cosplaying is being recognized where it should be. Smile
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:02 pm Reply with quote
So you can make substantially more cosplaying a character than an animator makes drawing said character 16+ hours a day. Interesting if not surprising and another look into how ass backwards this industry is in what it values and the return on investment in relation to actual work put forward in sustaining it.

I know the tone and idea behind all this interest stuff ANN reports is supposed to be sunshine and rainbows and quaint but hard not to think of it in terms of what I stated above instead.
Nephry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
So you can make substantially more cosplaying a character than an animator makes drawing said character 16+ hours a day. Interesting if not surprising and another look into how ass backwards this industry is in what it values and the return on investment in relation to actual work put forward in sustaining it.

I see your point, but unfortunately the industry would collapse if all animators were paid $90,000 every two days. Personally, I don't see a problem with cosplayers making a lot of money...their fans willingly pay them for their product, be it extra Patreon content or live appearances or photobooks. They found something they're good at and learned to make money off it--just like every other creator of content in the world. Good for them!

Granted, animators are underpaid for what they do...but comparing someone who receives a fixed salary in a niche industry to someone who receives an indeterminate amount of money from fans isn't quite fair.
Sparvid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:44 pm Reply with quote
How are the organizers making back that investment? I doubt that many people are saying "Well, I wasn't planning to go to so-and-so event, but now that I heard this particular cosplayer will be among all the other cosplayers there, I'm buying a ticket!"
XerneasYveltal

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:47 pm Reply with quote
This makes me wonder how does one generate a lot of money from all that cosplay.
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Pro cosplayers are like models. Maybe they can pull off normal model jobs if they chose to.
Attractive people making alot money from appearances and photo shoots doesn't seem that surprising.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Damn almost 100k for only two days work and a take home of nearly 10k a month? Man some people have all the luck. Shocked
jesusalcala11

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:28 pm Reply with quote
XerneasYveltal wrote:
This makes me wonder how does one generate a lot of money from all that cosplay.

If you mean the cosplayer, they get paid to show up at events. Enako claims she makes $3000 - 4000 per event. Enako does have a publicity campaign, so she is probably an exceptional case and not the norm.
If you mean the companies, the cosplayer brings attention to the events which brings potential revenue.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3