• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are Anime Discs Re-released So Much?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heishi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Well, I have no problem with re releases, per say.

Though it is sad to learn the DBZ rereleases are considered inferior quality. I wonder if people complained to Funimation about limited release of the Dragon Box.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I wait for the re-release of 26 episode series so I can have one DVD/Blu-ray case instead of two. I don't have much space to begin with so waiting the extra year or so to save space and money suits me perfectly.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:43 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Tenchi wrote:
not-even-close-to-top-of-the-line-home-theatre-quality 26" (small by modern TV standards) LCD Toshiba that I bought in 2008 and I wish I could own something better because it's a visually beautiful show.

Good lord, 26" is small nowadays?

My desktop iMac computer is 21", because I was too cheap to spring for the 27".
My living room 3D-flatscreen is 38", and that's the smallest size you can get without getting a "kitchen" model.
(Yeah, I know, a 19" color was top-of-the-line luxury when I was a kid.)
Wrial Huden

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I'm not sure if I agree with the basic premise of the question; there are still several anime I didn't get around to buying the first time that I can only pray will eventually get a North American re-release, above all Kimagure Orange Road, plus, to a lesser degree, Marmalade Boy, and there's also Kamichu!, which I do own on DVD but would happily re-buy on domestic Blu-Ray.

Marmalade Boy can be found rather easily on eBay and Amazon. First two sets are reasonable, 3 and 4 may prove to be a challenge.

Kimagure Orange Road, not so much. Especially the TV box set with the opening and closing credits restored to each episode. After about a 5 year search, I finally acquired one a couple of years ago.

But of the two, I would think that KOR has the best chance of being rescued.

Tokyopop's release of MB did not do well, I suspect, because of readily-available fansubs all over the net. I admit, I had a set of fansubbed MB on VHS in the late 90s, but I ditched them when the Tokyopop DVD release came out. But some unethical distros didn't pull their tapes when the announcement was made and then there was the advent or torrents/streaming. Sad
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I like re-releases a lot. The SAVE series has been a godsend, as its let me build up my collection with older shows that i watched many years after they came out(like Bamboo Blade and El Cazador). I also use it to buy series that i couldnt afford at the time or that i liked but werent a top priority(like C and Ga Rei). What I never reallt understood was if the SAVE series where really the ones that didn't make money. I understand stuff like Big Windup but Strike Witches is also SAVE, and Funi had three different releases of it before. Seems odd to release it so many times if it didn't make much money.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:28 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I see the same push with [...] GKids' Studio Ghibli movies.

OK, so color me confused here. For the longest time I thought that that Disney had a lock on all of Studio Ghibli's releases. Then I saw a GKids release of a Takahata film. Does anyone know what the exact nature of the relationship between Disney and Ghibli is?
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:47 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:

OK, so color me confused here. For the longest time I thought that that Disney had a lock on all of Studio Ghibli's releases. Then I saw a GKids release of a Takahata film. Does anyone know what the exact nature of the relationship between Disney and Ghibli is?

I'm not sure whether the deal with Ghibli continued after Arietty or whether Disney renewed it, but Disney can continue to release their own existing dubs of the 80's/90's classics, including the Takahatas like Pon Poko or Yamadas, but more recently they've opened up to letting GKids's international animation line handle the more unsellable art/slice-of-life non-Miyazaki Ghiblis that Disney doesn't want to risk mainstream release on, like Poppy Hill or Marnie.
...Does anyone know the current state of Disney's deal?
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:37 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Not officially but here's my shot in the dark:

-G-Kids has had all of the theatrical rights to Ghibli films, even those previously held by Disney, since 2011

-For home video, Disney might have retained the rights to the ones they already dubbed (Spirited Away, Blu-ray, 2015) but for new releases vets movies based on content & marketability ( The Wind Rises, 2014, but under the Touchstone label) and passes on any that don't interest them

-G-Kids then puts out the ones that Disney doesn't want (The Tale of Princess Kaguya, Only Yesterday)
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:41 pm Reply with quote
kevinx59 wrote:
What I never reallt understood was if the SAVE series where really the ones that didn't make money. I understand stuff like Big Windup but Strike Witches is also SAVE, and Funi had three different releases of it before. Seems odd to release it so many times if it didn't make much money.

Who says it didn't make that much money. It is one of the few titles that actually makes it on physical retailers shelves. I know Strike Witches is well represented on the shelves of many a military exchange around the U.S. and U.S. military bases overseas.

Also, Funimation may be keeping it on the shelves in preparation for the Strike Witches movie release.

-------

Also find it funny that someone is complaining about rereleases, when we have a major publisher going for scarcity and expensive limited editions with no plans for mass market releases in the future.

Last edited by TarsTarkas on Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:33 pm Reply with quote
@Tars Tarkas
The idea that S.A.V.E. releases are things that Funimation could not sell at regular price seems to be one of those things that "everybody knows" on the Internet, and like most things that everybody knows it is not entirely true.

I know that Funimation has said that not all S.A.V.E. releases were poor sellers and some of them, like Strike Witches, had performed very well. Unfortunately I do not have a citation for that. I will try to find where I read it, but maybe somebody else has a source for it.

And as others have said the S.A.V.E. line is an example of how having more releases can be a good thing for consumers.

Last edited by Touma on Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:13 am Reply with quote
For most people, it's probably more of them noticing all of these re-releases in comparison to western media. A lot of people forget that anime licenses can and do change hands, new material gets made, materials get upgrades, etc... while most western media stays with its company for long periods of time (if not forever), gets one or two re-releases per home video format (more depending on popularity and size of franchise), etc., which is comparatively less than anime.

KarmaRocketX wrote:
*list of legitimate complaints about how Funimation has treated it's golden egg.*
I agree with you. I understand why Funimation has made every decision it has made in regards to how it releases the Dragon Ball franchise, but I do not agree with most of them. Nothing would please me more than to see the entire franchise (Dragon Ball, DBZ, everything else) remastered, uncropped, uncensored, on bluray. I would even pay a significantly higher than normal price for it, even if it was only for this release, and they still intended on using the cropped master for all of their streaming stuff. I'd do it. I cannot personally justify buying a lesser product when I know the materials already exist for a vastly superior one.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:03 am Reply with quote
For non-anime, a prominent example is the amount of time the original "Star Wars" trilogy has been re-released.
Uter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:11 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:

The information about the retailers is interesting. I didn't realize that physical stores were still that much of a factor.

This is what has me baffled about the whole article. Aside from a couple classic titles and some first-time releases, what anime makes it into physical stores? The Best Buy near me, the last store to carry a decent selection of new discs, narrowed their entire disc section (everything, not just anime) down to a couple face-out shelves years ago. The only other places I know of that sell discs still are used shops, which obviously don't play into new sales numbers. So where are people supposedly buying all of these new titles, if not online?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:44 am Reply with quote
@Uter

What you say is also true for my area. However, from comments seen here, it is apparent that many of the major metropolitan areas still have physical stores selling anime. Since this is where the bulk of the population resides they still play a significant role. The rest of the country is dependent on online sales.

I can't say I mind. Even when our local Best Buy had a good selection of anime titles tended to arrive long after street date. Online is much more consistent and cheaper.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:03 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Uter

What you say is also true for my area. However, from comments seen here, it is apparent that many of the major metropolitan areas still have physical stores selling anime. Since this is where the bulk of the population resides they still play a significant role. The rest of the country is dependent on online sales.

I can't say I mind. Even when our local Best Buy had a good selection of anime titles tended to arrive long after street date. Online is much more consistent and cheaper.

I live in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, while not a major metropolitan area, it does have several military bases around. The Norfolk Navy Exchange has an excellent selection of anime, while the Little Creek Amphibious base and the Oceania Air Base have very little. Our local Best Buy's selection of anime has been increasing of late, and they have begun placing new anime in the new release displays at the front. FYE and the few Suncoasts that are still left, still have plenty of anime available. FYE's main problem is that they still don't know how to properly display their discs for sale. That is what made shopping at Circuit City so painful too, might have killed them also.

Don't know if Best Buy still has a problem with anime release dates, but I remember several years ago, having to run to FYE, cause Best Buy didn't have Squid Girl yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5