• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Where Do Animax Asia's English Dubs Come From?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xchampion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:08 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:

Animax dubs may be inferior to NA dubs vocally, but at least they're accurate.

Ryusui wrote:

"This dish literally tastes like excrement, but at least the chef followed the recipe."

nobahn wrote:

Now, now; there's no need to be harsh . . . . . even if your humor is good! Laughing

I'll allow! Laughing
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Ryusui wrote:
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:

"This dish literally tastes like excrement, but at least the chef followed the recipe."

"Unlike our nationally-known award-winning chef, who creatively added Slim-Jim and a Red Bull sauce to his prize-winning stroganoff recipe, to make it popular for the mainstream!"
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Where can you watch the Toward the Terra dub?
Taskforce

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:02 pm Reply with quote
AceLuffy4Ever wrote:
I had first heard the Fairy Tail Dub from them and it was god awful, i couldn't believe the voices i heard, there are clips on youtube if interested in hearing them, FUNimation dub was vastly superior

And yet the Funimation dub is awful too. I keep wondering what ANN reviewers took before reviewing that dub that made a few of them give it positive reviews. Whatever it was, I bet they felt no pain for at least 3 days.

Everyone remember the Karin dub from Geneon. That was one of those great Odex jobs from the time period close to Geneon closing their doors. Shounen Onmyouji and Zipang as well. And as bad as those dubs were, they sound wonderful compared to Dan-doh (also by Odex.)

But then, I'd also say that The Ocean Group did some dubs for Bandai that were almost as terrible in the past, Saber Marionette for example. Every series had a new cast and they started out terrible and just got worse with each new series.

Anyway, for some, a dub of any kind would still be a welcome addition, some people just don't like to read subs, at one time, I was one of them but I wised up eventually.
JoeOfTomorrow

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Taskforce wrote:
AceLuffy4Ever wrote:
I had first heard the Fairy Tail Dub from them and it was god awful, i couldn't believe the voices i heard, there are clips on youtube if interested in hearing them, FUNimation dub was vastly superior

And yet the Funimation dub is awful too. I keep wondering what ANN reviewers took before reviewing that dub that made a few of them give it positive reviews. Whatever it was, I bet they felt no pain for at least 3 days.

Oh, Jesus. One of those guys again.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Well, their dub for Gundam ZZ wasn't any worse than Blue Water's Z Gundam dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Taskforce wrote:
AceLuffy4Ever wrote:

Yes that has to be one of their worst dubs, up with Binbo-Gami Ga. I don't get how they made Natsu even more annoying then he already was.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:04 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Answerman wrote:
The sole exception so far has been NIS America's release of Card Captor Sakura, which included the Animax Asia dub as a bonus (since it was mostly uncut). Other American publishers have tried to secure these dubs and failed.

You forgot that Nozomi/RightStuf included the Animax dub of Gundam Build Fighters on their recent bluray/DVD release.

This is kind of semantics, but as far as I can tell, that never aired on Animax. It's just another South East Asian dub for local broadcast. In fact, it looks like Animax Asia has pretty much stopped doing original dubs outside of the odd kids show, like Pretty Rhythm or Little Battlers eXperience. I guess a focus on immediacy and the shorter lead times on American dubs has filled a lot of the holes they'd have to do themselves.

That said, there's still a good amount of stuff being dubbed for South East Asian TV. Like I said, while Build Fighters didn't air on Animax, it did air on their Cartoon Network and some local broadcasters like OKTO. OKTO and CN (and Toonami) in particular have a lot of curiosities, from Gon (which was dubbed in Quebec, Canada of all places), English Kamen Rider, Beywarriors Cyborg, Beast Saga and Gaist Crusher ... to things like LINE Town and an alternate Yo-Kai Watch production.

Some of these productions are making their way to the west. The Hong Kong dub of Doraemon airs in the UK (why not the dub produced in the US? No idea), and TOKU in the US picked up a bunch of short series recorded there by Red Angel Media. Hasbro's Chinese co-pro Blazing Team even has its VA work done in Hong Kong.
immblueversion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Listening to the Animax dub of Fairy Tail was equivalent to eating out of a trashcan. There may have been edible bits here and there, but I'd prefer to order out at a relatively decent eatery, thank you. It made the year-long wait for Funimation to acquire the rest of the series after episode 48 all the harder, but it was worth it.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Taskforce wrote:
Everyone remember the Karin dub from Geneon. That was one of those great Odex jobs from the time period close to Geneon closing their doors. Shounen Onmyouji and Zipang as well. And as bad as those dubs were, they sound wonderful compared to Dan-doh (also by Odex.)

At least there were some tolerable performances in Karin and Zipang. Their dubs are still a mile above the ear-bleeding awfulness that are the Fantastic Children and Green Green dubs.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Taskforce wrote:
And yet the Funimation dub is awful too.

The Funimation dub of Fairy Tail sounds fine to me. It has a rather typical, and solid, Funimation dub cast. Those people are all good at what they do and, as usual, they made me believe that they were having fun with it. Until I read this thread a did not realize that anybody had problems with it.
It really is just personal taste and preference.

Taskforce wrote:
Everyone remember the Karin dub from Geneon.

I remember enjoying the show enough to watch it three times.
I do not remember disliking anything about the dub.

I do not think that I have heard any Animax dubs.

Last edited by Touma on Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I've watched Animax's English version of Maid-Sama a while back. The show had some issues with audio-syncing around Episode 6 and the music for the half-time break was, for some unknown reason, stripped out. Then there's the mispronunciation of Aoi's first name (the A was pronounced as the letter A instead of "ah")... Overall, I found it to be mediocre, but I did find myself laughing hysterically whenever Misaki threw a fit, particularly on the first two episodes! Laughing

As for Animax's English version of Cardcaptor Sakura (which I'm in the midst of watching)...It isn't the best in the world, but it is, overall, much better than Nelvana's Americanized version of the show. The voices of the kids, most notably Sakura, sound more their age (Takashi Yamazaki being the exception, although in fairness, his voice was from a mature actor in the Japanese version). Plus, all of the scenes that were cut out of the Americanized English version of CCS, including Kero's Corner (Leave It To Kero-chan), were left untouched. So, yes, I'm having a swell time watching Cardcaptor Sakura from Animax. Cool
epicwizard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:39 pm Reply with quote
From the little I've seen of the Animax dub of Sgt. Frog, it's definitely not as good as the FUNimation dub. The voice acting quality in the former dub is pretty low and has the same quality as the UK dub of Doraemon (oddly enough, that dub was actually recorded in Hong Kong at Omni Productions rather than an ADR studio in the UK).
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Ryusui wrote:
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:

Absolutely agree! If accuracy was all that mattered, why even have a dub. I'll take the Nelvana CCS dub over the Animax one any day.

EricJ2 wrote:

Sgt. Frog's Animax dub is a little rough around the edges (you can tell four or five actors are being used to dub a dozen characters), and Keroro's cute scratchy-Pokemon-kid-actress voice takes a little getting used to after Todd Haberkorn's nerdy-ADD...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbCo6EegIo4
But so on the mark for translating the proper gags to script, that back during the "war", we original-show defenders used to search out the remaining Animax-dub episodes on YouTube, and RUB them into Funimation's face with sandpaper to show that it wasn't so "impossible" to translate the original show's sub-script gags into Western-humor context after all. So much for that alibi.

Funimation's plan was never to just translate it. They were intentionally trying to adapt it as a gag dub that appealed to an older audience.
I've seen a few episodes on Dailymotion and it's really awkward. At one point Tamama says "This is ungood!".
http://www.dailymotion.com/luciferspear

Taskforce wrote:

Anyway, for some, a dub of any kind would still be a welcome addition, some people just don't like to read subs, at one time, I was one of them but I wised up eventually.

Pretentous dribble is pretentious.
immblueversion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Taskforce wrote:
And yet the Funimation dub is awful too.

The Funimation dub of Fairy Tail sounds fine to me. It has a rather typical, and solid, Funimation dub cast. Those people are all good at what they do and, as usual, they made me believe that they were having fun with it. Until I read this thread a did not realize that anybody had problems with it.
It really is just personal taste and preference.

I do not think that I have heard any Animax dubs.

Animax dubs are a real mixed bag, as people have already brought up. Some, such as the Cardcaptor Sakura dub, are perfectly serviceable. Here's a comparison video; the Animax version starts at 0:44.

But then we have the Fairy Tail dub, which not only sounds like it was made by a totally different group, but...well... Let's just say that it helped me appreciate Funimation's attempts to make the actors speak like actual human beings all the more. Sample this and this, if you dare.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6