• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Precure Singer Mayu Kudou Announces Marriage, Retirement in April 2017

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:41 am Reply with quote
Wow, it seems being a traditional housewife is desired by Japanese women. If I were marrying her, I wouldn't mind her continuing voice acting. I'd probably encourage her to keep at it and not stop on my account. But that's just me.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:46 am Reply with quote
More than desired, I'd say "forced". Quite a few of the female Japanese teachers I had over the years while studying the language kept mentioning people pressuring them to leave work and be a housewife.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:02 am Reply with quote
Even if she was forced to retire, maybe the housewife-type life just suited her more.
goatnuke

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:08 am Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:
More than desired, I'd say "forced". Quite a few of the female Japanese teachers I had over the years while studying the language kept mentioning people pressuring them to leave work and be a housewife.

Yeah, this makes me sad every time I see one of these articles. I imagine cultural stigma forces many of these women to retire at such a young age. Maybe there are cases where that's not true but you start to notice the same PR spin language among these articles after a while.
KH91

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:56 am Reply with quote
Congrats to her. I'd like to thing she's a smart individual and knows what she is doing. If she's being forced to be a housewife, it's not hard to say "screw the rules, I have money(I don't know her income. Lol)."
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Topgunguy wrote:
Wow, it seems being a traditional housewife is desired by Japanese women. If I were marrying her, I wouldn't mind her continuing voice acting. I'd probably encourage her to keep at it and not stop on my account. But that's just me.

In all fairness, looking at her works shows that she's really barely done anything in recent years. Her life in terms of career is probably barely changing. Maybe she did some concerts and such things, idk...but voice acting she hasn't done anything in years.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:21 pm Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:

Some Japanese men are still a little old-fashioned, unfortunately. Pressuring women to get out of the workforce and start raising families sounds like the norm over there. On the other hand, maybe it could be because of the low birthrate and some Japanese women somehow feel obligated (though they shouldn't) to help circumvent that. Does anyone have any clear statistics on that?
JDude042

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Either this is a case of her man wanting her to get into the kitchen in a non-literal sense, or she's grown tired of doing what she's been doing and wants to settle down and live the life of a housewife, or maybe a bit of both. I'm not really familiar with this person.
Temuthril

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm certainly no expert on the topic, but with a quick Googling I found the following article:

https://www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/1-in-3-japanese-women-want-to-be-housewives-poll
ryoukosan245

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:10 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
ximpalullaorg wrote:

Some Japanese men are still a little old-fashioned, unfortunately. Pressuring women to get out of the workforce and start raising families sounds like the norm over there. On the other hand, maybe it could be because of the low birthrate and some Japanese women somehow feel obligated (though they shouldn't) to help circumvent that. Does anyone have any clear statistics on that?

That's the case fot the eastern world in general, not just Japan. You do realize that in Japan women are not forced but expected to quit their jobs when they get married ,because it shows how dedicated and loyal she is to her family. Also I think it's wrong to judge another culture ,by the values and beliefs of your own culture. Funny how you say ''Some Japanese men are still a little old-fashioned, unfortunately. Pressuring women to get out of the workforce and start raising families sounds like the norm over there.On the other hand, maybe it could be because of the low birthrate and some Japanese women somehow feel obligated (though they shouldn't) to help circumvent that. Does anyone have any clear statistics on that? '' when you find that the women also agree with this point of view, and low birth rates have nothing to do with it.

Last edited by ryoukosan245 on Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:12 pm Reply with quote
I hope it was her decision alone and not a possessive husband (the most likely culprit), they can be worse than tyranny at times.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:14 pm Reply with quote
ryoukosan245 wrote:
Also I think it's wrong to judge another culture ,by the values and beliefs of your own culture.

It's just what I've seen and heard from some places and via my overseas friend in Japan. I'm not judging it "by the values and beliefs of my own culture" as you put it, which for the record I doubt you know anything about.
ryoukosan245

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:31 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
ryoukosan245 wrote:
Also I think it's wrong to judge another culture ,by the values and beliefs of your own culture.

It's just what I've seen and heard from some places and via my overseas friend in Japan. I'm not judging it "by the values and beliefs of my own culture" as you put it, which for the record I doubt you know anything about.

I know enough to know that's what you were doing and if you weren't doing that, what did you mean by this: ''Some Japanese men are still a little old-fashioned, unfortunately. Pressuring women to get out of the workforce and start raising families sounds like the norm over there.On the other hand, maybe it could be because of the low birthrate and some Japanese women somehow feel obligated (though they shouldn't) to help circumvent that. Does anyone have any clear statistics on that? ''
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:40 pm Reply with quote
ryoukosan245 wrote:
I know enough to know that's what you were doing and if you weren't doing that, what did you mean by this

I doubt that, because again, you don't know anything about my values and beliefs. It's not as if I have any obligation to explain to you nor do I wish for this to carry on into an exchange of constant posts. It honestly sounds like you're trying to start something here. Besides, I just stated previously that it was hearsay, not a collectively objective analysis on the entirety of Japan's population.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:45 pm Reply with quote
The article says "she will retire from the public entertainment industry"; She could simply be moving onto a more private, less strenuous, career.

All the luck to her in her next step.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2