• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: SILVER LINK Announces Original Anime Project For 10th Anniversary

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:16 am Reply with quote
Usually I would be interested, at the very least the show will have a completed story, unlike a lot of adaptations. But Silver Link must be one of the worst studios out there, the things people complain about Anime, this studio is basically that. The only thing they've made that looked different is Alice in Borderland, which is only 3 episodes, and Yurikuma Arashi.
BlackPoint.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:26 am Reply with quote
Original......hope its atleast somethin good.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:28 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Usually I would be interested, at the very least the show will have a completed story, unlike a lot of adaptations. But Silver Link must be one of the worst studios out there, the things people complain about Anime, this studio is basically that. The only thing they've made that looked different is Alice in Borderland, which is only 3 episodes, and Yurikuma Arashi.

Funny, I would consider them one of the better anime studios since they don't botch adaptations. The Fate Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya series has been fantastic for 4 straight seasons, and they're doing a big budget movie for the best arc of the series next year.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:58 am Reply with quote
Catsplay wrote:
Funny, I would consider them one of the better anime studios since they don't botch adaptations. The Fate Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya series has been fantastic for 4 straight seasons, and they're doing a big budget movie for the best arc of the series next year.
Well it's not really the quality of the adaptations, though I've never personally been impressed from an animation and design standpoint. It's more of what they adapt, nearly all their catalogue of work is; slice of life, harem, romcom or a mixture. And while most studios may well have some of those titles as well, even good ones, it's more than that. With Silver Link, it's mostly just that. So whenever I hear anyone say "I hate Anime, it's all slice of life and generic harems" I think of Silver Link, as most of it seems to come from this one studio. They're like the Compile Hearts of Anime.
+ 光

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:17 am Reply with quote
I'm going to withhold judgement until I see what this is actually going to be about. Tanaka-kun is Always Listless is one of my favorite shows from Spring 2016, and I've heard good things of Kokoro Connect and Non non biyori. I haven't really paid attention to anything else by them.

What I do know of Silver Link is that their animators are everywhere: They do in-between animation and those nitty-gritty things for A LOT of shows.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:30 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
It's more of what they adapt, nearly all their catalogue of work is; slice of life, harem, romcom or a mixture. And while most studios may well have some of those titles as well, even good ones, it's more than that. With Silver Link, it's mostly just that.

All hail Silver Link!
Not like they get much of a choice.
joac101

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:04 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Catsplay wrote:
Well it's not really the quality of the adaptations, though I've never personally been impressed from an animation and design standpoint. It's more of what they adapt, nearly all their catalogue of work is; slice of life, harem, romcom or a mixture. And while most studios may well have some of those titles as well, even good ones, it's more than that. With Silver Link, it's mostly just that. So whenever I hear anyone say "I hate Anime, it's all slice of life and generic harems" I think of Silver Link, as most of it seems to come from this one studio. They're like the Compile Hearts of Anime.

Well Rakudai Kishi was one of the best harem magic school academy I've ever watched, way better than animes like Saijaku Bahamut and Asterisk and Hentai x Hentai and Absolute Duo and many more
Catsplay

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:24 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Catsplay wrote:

They just did an entire season of nonstop action in Prisma Illya 3rei <_<
7jaws7

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:04 am Reply with quote
Sweet! SL is one of my favorite studios, can't wait to see what they come up with!
SejinPK

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:20 am Reply with quote
I think the only things I've seen from Silver Link are Yurikuma Arashi and WataMote. IIRC, WataMote used a lot of visual techniques to reinforce Tomoko's isolation, as well as to express her mentality and feelings.

I'm not a fan of the studio or anything, as I've only seen two shows they've produced, but if these two shows are indicative of their ability, I'll be pretty curious to see what this original anime will be.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:57 am Reply with quote
joac101 wrote:
Well Rakudai Kishi was one of the best harem magic school academy I've ever watched, way better than animes like Saijaku Bahamut and Asterisk and Hentai x Hentai and Absolute Duo and many more

Not setting the bar too high are we?
It's still probably the worst I've seen from them, at least for the two episodes I could stomach. That said, most of that blame doesn't fall onto Silver Link.

SejinPK wrote:
I'm not a fan of the studio or anything, as I've only seen two shows they've produced, but if these two shows are indicative of their ability, I'll be pretty curious to see what this original anime will be.

I wouldn't count Yurikuma as a representative example, as that one was all about the special director they brought for it. Silver Link was more of a support team for Ikuhara.

Watamote, however, together with shows like Anne Happy (as a recent show) are perfect examples... of Oonuma Shin's style. When he isn't the main director, it's harder to pinpoint Silver Link in style. Although their quality tends to be well above average, so there's that (although low-quality stuff like Girlfriend does exist).

All that said, I'm still salty about how they switched Stella no Mahou from its unique style to one of the most generic, uninspired and boring styles I've ever seen... already with some shots that look off-model.
I hope direction and source material hold up.
jesusalcala11

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:05 pm Reply with quote
SejinPK wrote:
I think the only things I've seen from Silver Link are Yurikuma Arashi and WataMote. IIRC, WataMote used a lot of visual techniques to reinforce Tomoko's isolation, as well as to express her mentality and feelings.

As Yuvelir has stated, Yurikuma is indicative of Ikuhara and Watamote is indicative of Shin Oonuma. Unlike Shin Oonuma's past at Shaft, Oonuma's Silver Link does not maintain a noticeable style across directors. I really liked Watamote's art style, so I hope Shin Oonuma is this anime's main director and he applies his art style.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:01 pm Reply with quote
jesusalcala11 wrote:
SejinPK wrote:

As Yuvelir has stated, Yurikuma is indicative of Ikuhara and Watamote is indicative of Shin Oonuma. Unlike Shin Oonuma's past at Shaft, Oonuma's Silver Link does not maintain a noticeable style across directors. I really liked Watamote's art style, so I hope Shin Oonuma is this anime's main director and he applies his art style.

I would hope, and imagine, that this will be an Oonuma project. He is more or less the only talent they have. And probably the only one who could come up with an idea worth building a series off of. I don't know though, maybe they hired some writers or something the help them create something new and cool. I'm interested.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Will it have a semicolon in the title?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I gotta say that Silver Link has gotta be my favourite anime studio this decade for two fantastic seasons of Non Non Biyori, plus the great spring series Tanaka-kun is Always Listless and the aforementioned WataMote, and I also enjoyed Baka and Test to some degree.

I really only watch a few shows a season, so one anime studio putting out 4 shows (or 6 cours depending on how you're counting it) that I have enjoyed over the past 6 years or so is actually quite remarkable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2