• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are Anime Series So Short These Days?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slashman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Hardgear wrote:
I for one love it when a show is written and planned for a set number of episodes, with the possibility of more seasons down the line. This is much better than how most shows here in the US tend to be made, where they basically keep spitting out episodes until the ratings drop and the show gets canceled. I prefer the story to be well produced and planned with a concrete ending already in mind, seems to make for a much better overall story. At least that way it can end on a high note, as opposed to the whimper of a previously popular show that overstayed its welcome and jumped the shark one too many times.

That's an ideal, but it often doesn't work out that way. What you often get is a show that is either too rushed to do proper story/character development or a show that obviously hasn't put a dent in its main storyline and then that show is never given a second season sometimes despite having done well.

There are a truck load of shows that have literally left viewers hanging for years with no conclusion or continuation to the story. Sankarea for instance.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:54 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
My top ten TV anime series on the other hand are dominated by single cour series. The only outliers are Golden Time and Welcome to the NHK! at 24, and Planetarian at 5.

You have quite a run of two cour and split-cour series right outside that, though, with Shirobako, Silver Spoon, Chiayafuru, Yamato 2199, Attack on Titan, Spice and Wolf, etc.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Have to say I really mourn the near-demise of the 24-26 episode form-factor series as well. Most of my favorite series tend to come from the late-90s to the mid-00s, and a lot of them fit into this mold. It allowed for some largely stand-alone episodes up front to help build the world and introduce the characters, adding in elements of an overarching story over time, with the second half largely progressing things up to the finale. That isn't to say there weren't 13-episode series that managed the same progression fairly well, but the 26-episode ones felt like they had a bit more breathing room to play with. The main issue nowadays is how many of the shorter series out there only exist as advertisements for the manga/novels/whatever, so there's absolutely no thought given to a satisfying conclusion. They just...stop. For someone who doesn't have any interest in manga, it's absolutely infuriating, and I honestly think it fundamentally harms the medium. A good adaptation should seek to stand in its own right, not solely to peddle product.
Hardgear

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Slashman wrote:
There are a truck load of shows that have literally left viewers hanging for years with no conclusion or continuation to the story. Sankarea for instance.

Sure, that's shitty planning on their part. Worst example I have seen is Corpse Princess, they literally left it hanging half way through the final fight. So yeah I won't deny they can screw it up, especially when adapting a long running or unfinished manga. But that seems to be the root of the problem most of the time, adapting unfinished material or stopping at a very shitty location in a much longer storyline.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:00 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:
...but also come censored. It may be annoying for an R rated anime, but it´s also understandable

Of course if a program is broadcast on TV then there are certain rules to be followed regarding what can or cannot be shown. But I can't help but wonder if this isn't also being done in order to sell physical media in the age of streaming & torrents. Sure, you can watch your favorite show on TV for free, but if you want to see the uncensored version then you must buy the DVD/BD.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:01 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:
Quote:
They then pay TV channels to broadcast the show in the early morning hours, which is seen as promotion for the home video release, and whatever other merchandise comes out.

So this may explain why adult series are not only broadcasted in the morning, but also come censored. It may be annoying for an R rated anime, but it´s also understandable

Not that late in the morning. We're talking like 12-3 am or so. I'm not sure that the hour explains the censorship rather than broadcast rules and frankly selling BD/DVD's by offering uncensored nudity for ecchi titles.

rizuchan wrote:
Unfortunately this seems to mean fewer Shoujo shows in general since merchandising is so difficult. Though personally I would welcome the return of Shoujo anime Barbie dolls.

I'm not sure if they do Shoujo but they do make anime dolls. They're not really in a younger audience's price range (~$400-700!) so I'm not sure that's what you had in mind.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:04 pm Reply with quote
It´s hard to make money during the graveyard shift slot that relays on home media to make money, but fear not. US TV got shorter too. The amount of produced content also increased everywhere, yet the amount of personal involved is declining, if anything. Quantity isn ´t quality (not that anime is doing all that hot right now) and i would rather have a tightly plotted 13 ep. show (hello Netflix and HBO!) than syndicated filler, with random clip-shows mixed in. Brevity is the soul of wit. Bebop also ended after 26 eps. + 1 one film.
It´s the amount of unfinished adaptations that gives cause to worry...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I like the new system a lot better, less awkward ending in the middle (ride of into the sunset) and tighter show. Plus since there's many more series to watch it feel like I can pick the show for my taste rather than lower my expectation so they fall in line with the few show available, a lot of what I like seems to be not so popular so I know that if there were less show the one that I'm more interested in would be the cut one.

I wonder with the rise of streaming if things won't change again. I find it hard to justify buying a set box since I know I already watched the show and if I want to watch it again I can probably find it on one of the many streaming service that I'm potentially already subscribed to. On the other hand if I want to buy a merchandise I don't have any other choice, so I'm queasy about spending 60$ on a BR set but I have no problem spending close to 1000$ on gunplas.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:50 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
i would rather have a tightly plotted 13 ep. show (hello Netflix and HBO!) than syndicated filler

Agreed. I think that's why I like so many of the OVAs from the 80's and 90's: there was often no goofy filler, edited "recap episodes", nor was the show stretched or compressed to make it fit into a certain number of equal-length episodes. The show was as long or short as it needed to be to tell the story properly.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:56 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

I wonder with the rise of streaming if things won't change again. I find it hard to justify buying a set box since I know I already watched the show and if I want to watch it again I can probably find it on one of the many streaming service that I'm potentially already subscribed to. On the other hand if I want to buy a merchandise I don't have any other choice, so I'm queasy about spending 60$ on a BR set but I have no problem spending close to 1000$ on gunplas.

Don't think it will change anything at least for a while. In anime main market, Japan, the people buying the expensive BD's are the otaku collectors and they want to own the BD's. They don't care the least about streaming services.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:56 pm Reply with quote
Justin Sevakis wrote:
The production committee system can still go awry in strange and terrible ways (there have been a few incidents where the committee becomes dysfunctional and literally can't get anything done), [...].

What I wouldn't give to hear the grim and ugly details of those incidents!
Shiflan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
But why is so much of anime seemingly aimed at teenagers then? They're neither interested in toys, nor have the kind of money you need to buy BDs/DVDs.

I can't speak for everyone of course, but I had quite a lot of disposable income as a teenager. I lived at home so I didn't have to pay a single cent for rent or food. Whatever money I made doing odd jobs (mowing lawns, washing cars, pet-sitting) was 100% disposable income. When I turned 16 I got a part-time job & bought a crappy used car. I had to set money aside for gas and insurance, but even then I had a lot of extra money to spend. Teenagers (well, most of them anyway) don't have to pay rent, support a family, or otherwise pay for a lot of things that are standard for adults. Pretty much all the money they make is freely spendable on hobbies.
epicwizard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The planning company would decide what to adapt (or create) and try and find a sponsor. The sponsor would supply the money in exchange for product placement and commercial slots

Oh, so that's the meaning behind this: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/x6OtVRK4O4Q/hqdefault.jpg

MarshalBanana wrote:
I do miss when 26 episodes was the standard(from around the mid 90s to late 00s), now it is usually 13 episodes, if it 26 episodes, then it's broken up into 2 seasons. I think the only new shows in the 10s to go over 100 episodes have been Toriko and Hunter x Hunter(JoJo of you combine all parts).

There's also Yo-kai Watch, Hana Kappa (this one has a whopping 448 episodes so far!), Wasimo, and Future Card Buddyfight (if you combine all the series together).
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Have to say I really mourn the near-demise of the 24-26 episode form-factor series as well. Most of my favorite series tend to come from the late-90s to the mid-00s, and a lot of them fit into this mold. It allowed for some largely stand-alone episodes up front to help build the world and introduce the characters, adding in elements of an overarching story over time, with the second half largely progressing things up to the finale.

It is certainly true that there are enriching moments only possible in multi-cour series, attained by slowly endearing a cast to the audience to the extent that we view their plights as those of close friends. But reaching such moments certainly makes demands on viewers' patience, something that is acutely felt when there are plenty of series vying for our attention nowadays.

Not to mention, with the current trend for 12-episode streaming anime in this day and age, we can increase our MAL series counts at twice the previous rate!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:11 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
Justin Sevakis wrote:
The production committee system can still go awry in strange and terrible ways (there have been a few incidents where the committee becomes dysfunctional and literally can't get anything done), [...].

What I wouldn't give to hear the grim and ugly details of those incidents!

Better still, they should make an anime series (kurobako anyone?) with the recollection of all those trainwrecks, shirobako barely touched the surface when they talked about that series jiggly jiggly watchamacallit and that other racing series with out of place fanservice.

IMO the burst of japan's economy bubble in the 2000s is the BEST thing it could have happened to the anime industry. No ands, ifs or buts. People bemoan how 26-52 episodes series would be better (I am still praying for another 26 episodes of spice and wolf), but they forget that if the prior system was in place, it would prioritize animes that sell toys, cards games or smart phone games (aka mostly kiddie stuff) with more filler/abrupt endings (hana yori dango, I am looking at you), there would be a few good series (but not of every genre) and everything else would be OVAs of 6 episodes (at best).

You do not have to believe, take a look here to see how fall 1996 looked like:

http://anichart.net/archive/fall-96

and compare it with fall 2016:

https://www.livechart.me/fall-2016/tv

As they say "Quantity has a quality of its own".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8