• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Survey Asks Fans Which Showa-Era Anime They Want to Reboot

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:49 am Reply with quote
They shouldn't reboot shows which were well adapted, and I've heard Galaxy Express 999 is great, and Macross was an original story. With Hunter X Hunter and Ushio to Tora, their previews adaptations weren't all that good and also incomplete, so there was reason there.
Narutofreak1412

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:29 am Reply with quote
I would love to see a remake of Ashita no Joe with lots of awesome animation like in Ippo and many episodes with an emotional atmosphere.
Without the fillers and when you leave out some of the not so important arcs like the Harimau arc, they could make a pretty decent 4-season anime.

angelmcazares wrote:
I would love to see a remake of the Rose of Versailles that condensed the story into 25-26 episodes. I consider the anime we got great, but its first half is bloated and feels too long; the second half is way better paced and written

It's because from episode 19 onward the series director changed to Osamu Dezaki, a well-known and talented veteran, who had experience with series that target an older audience.
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:07 am Reply with quote
How is it Gunbuster HASN'T received another sequel yet? For all it's shortcomings, Diebuster was EXCELLENT and another follow up would be a most welcome in the canon.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:34 am Reply with quote
Hell yeah, I'd be all in for a GE999 reboot/remake. Give it to the team doing the Space Battleship Yamato reboots, and it would be great.

Not sure about some of the others on that list. Cobra I could see; Macross perhaps (tho I think I would much rather see a true sequel with a post-Macross Hikaru, Misa, et al); don't really care much about Dragonball or Sherlock Hound (sorry, never could get into those); Gunbuster would be cool if only to see at last the huge final battle they originally planned to do; and any love for more SPT Layzner is okay with me.

Shows I think could do well with modern reboots: Urusei Yatsura, Ranma 1/2 (or at least, finally do the series finale!), Dirty Pair (original versions), Aure Battler Dunbine, Stop! Hibari-Kun... probably a few others if I look back far enough.

ADDENDUM; Add Bubblegum Crisis and Rose of Versailles to my list.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:15 am Reply with quote
I would be totally delighted if Cyber Team in Akihabara got a remake like Saber Marionette J is getting.
Nyron

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:20 am Reply with quote
It would be swell if Harlock got the 2199 treatment. The CGI film is dumb and Endless Odyssey was... abstract. I just want a nice-looking, long-form series about a legendary space pirate.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:52 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
After Macross Delta was a big disaster, I'd rather they not touch it again unless they restaff.

Amen to that!

I'd be happy with seeing further Matsumoto titles getting reissues, Harlock, 999.. etc.
And of course if SDF Macross was done as well as the Yamato reboot then I'm game.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:05 pm Reply with quote
The lack of Gundam 0079 is disturbing. The Origin is not counted because it is adapted from manga and what we want is a TV series not OVA.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:06 pm Reply with quote
If we must take some member berries and reboot anything, I'd like to see a reboot of Mad Bull 34. Four episodes of narm wasn't enough.
TheWolfhart

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing most people here are just considering Dragon Ball Z when thinking about the possibility of a remake.

I'd love to see a remake of the original Dragon Ball, but I don't trust Toei to make a good one.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
After Macross Delta was a big disaster, I'd rather they not touch it again unless they restaff.

Totally agreed, but they need make sure they don't go nuts trying use music as main means of making profit off it. That was part problem with Delta. What disaster that was indeed.

I find it funny they want a reboot Macross in Japan, I'm hoping they'd do Votoms.

I personally won't trust current industry in Japan to make a sequel to any of them until they figure out how they'll fund it without botching up franchise for sake of money. Making money fine unless you screw up franchise in first place.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Seeing that Cobra already has Cobra: The Animation and the upcoming Cobra : Return Of Joe Gillian, I think the series is still relevant with new modern material.

I feel like anime remakes should happen if the original was not very adapted (Hellsing) or ended not competed when the original anime was airing (Ushio and Tora). I only want a Fist of the North Star remake because I want the series to be relevant again. When I see fans see big muscular characters, they just think only of Jojo Sad.
JWagnesh8

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:33 am Reply with quote
Well, I want all my childhood shows rebooted! Get Mutsumi Inomata out of retirement and make a new Leda and a new Windaria! A new Creamy Mami and Fancier Lala with character designs from Akemi Takada! A new Paul in Fantasy Land! Tico of the Warmer Seven Seas! Cooking Master Boy in glorious 3D! A remake of The Last Unicorn movie! A New Flight of Dragons! I command it! *evil laughter a la Ommadon*

But never ever touch the original Nausicaä movie. I don't care if they somehow make a continuation. I believe the last line in the translated manga was "We must live . . . ." and I wouldn't mind them taking that to heart. But change not a cel in the original one.

By the way, didn't Kawamori and Mikimoto say before they wouldn't revisit the original Macross since the death of Hikaru's voice actor?
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:30 am Reply with quote
JWagnesh8 wrote:
By the way, didn't Kawamori and Mikimoto say before they wouldn't revisit the original Macross since the death of Hikaru's voice actor?

I vaguely remember something about that. But in the entertainment industry, that promise rarely holds true, given enough time and incentive. The Yamato 2199 people did well in matching voice actors that sound much like the original Yamato crew, so it shouldn't be too difficult to do the same.

Besides... there already is talk of a Robotech movie based on Macross. Granted, its been in development hell for a decade, But if it ever gets beyond that, the pressure to revisit the original series characters would probably make it inevitable.

ADDENDUM: Did some searching on the 'net, and it appears they've already replaced Hikaru's voice actor in some of the Macross games. Kenji Nojima is the "current" voice actor to play the role.
JWagnesh8

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:14 am Reply with quote
I see. I already heard of the Robotech movie, but know dang-all about the current state of the Macross franchise (except that Delta didn't interest me for some reason). Games is games, though--I never lumped them in together with animation per se.

I suppose my dream of having them remake some title without fiddling with it is a 100% sure no-go. I sure would like to see some of the oldies reanimated, though, like Tokimeki Tonight.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4