• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of Sep 16-22

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
^I think there wasn't enough baseball, the MC proved too unlikable, and the main metaphor was too subtext for most people (including me) to catch on unless it's spelled out point by point (I mean, I picked up on the BL elements, but not their actual purpose). Basically, it didn't really get its point across and it was frustrating.

It sounds like beyond the premise, there is literally nothing to suggest BL in any way, implicit or otherwise. Plus, apparently very little happens in the show in general. I was planning on picking it up after it finished, but I have yet to hear anyone give it a positive review.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Well, this (extremely long but worth the time) reddit post linked in the Review thread shows that it's all over the place, but it's just too oblique for most people to see. I think I would've enjoyed the series more if I'd read that before watching, actually, because while I didn't hate it, I just didn't get it. That said, I still don't think it's a great series, but I do think it's better than a surface understanding of it would suggest.
jaykayjk10

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:19 am Reply with quote
Art Club is such an underrated show imo. Absolutely enjoyed the series.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:38 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
^I think there wasn't enough baseball, the MC proved too unlikable, and the main metaphor was too subtext for most people (including me) to catch on unless it's spelled out point by point (I mean, I picked up on the BL elements, but not their actual purpose). Basically, it didn't really get its point across and it was frustrating.

It sounds like beyond the premise, there is literally nothing to suggest BL in any way, implicit or otherwise. Plus, apparently very little happens in the show in general. I was planning on picking it up after it finished, but I have yet to hear anyone give it a positive review.

Nah it was extremely heavy on the BL subtext, and not just subtext actually. I mean every single sentence a certain character utter is along the line of "your in love with that other boy". Heck there's even a scene that's like 90% rape scene, with just a few cut and maybe a blur here and there you could transform it into a genuine rape scene.

Other than that, it was excruciatingly slow and the baseball was not very good. Personally I picked it up cause I actually liked the main character attitude, but he got "better" (i.e. boring) over time.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:43 am Reply with quote
Does the ranking system take into account how many people vote on a show?

For example if only one person ever ranked the episodes of Anime X, but they gave it perfect 5s across the board, would it be the #1 anime on the chart?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2