• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Merging Manga & Novels Forums

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:41 am Reply with quote
Bad mod posting consecutive posts. I'm a bad boy. This is a different topic though so I'm rolling with it. With the Anime Series/Disucssion topic settled for the most part I wanted to get opinions on another. Merging the Manga and Light Novel sections. Neither gets much foot traffic compared to the Anime & Talkback sections. Often times series also have a LN and Manga series running concurrently so a lot of possible discussion might get repetitive. So I was curious what users, and admin, thought of merging the 2 areas.
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:54 pm Reply with quote
^
As a user who reads both manga and novels I am in favor of combining them into one forum.

It would be nice to have some comparisons of the manga and novels for franchises that have both.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:13 pm Reply with quote
I think it's probably worth combining them too as long as it's clear that threads are for just manga, just novels or both.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Sounds good to me. I agree with st_owly that the threads need to be clear as to what we are discussing, otherwise I think it will help.

I just noticed, the Neon Alley forum is gone. Cool
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm against it personally.

Initially I was against this, but seeing that the top 7 threads of the novel forum would still make it onto the front page of the manga forum, I'm okay with it.

It might even be good for the novel topics, by exposing them to more readers.

I'd like to see how users of the two forums feel.
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I think that it would be a good idea to try to reduce the number of sticky threads in the Manga forum. Right now I need to scroll down to see any new post that is not in a sticky thread.
Any discussion about this should probably be done in the Manga forum, but I wanted to mention it here because it seems relevant and might, possibly, be a reason for some people to not want the novel discussions mixed in with the manga discussions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:38 pm Reply with quote
So I voted yes; but I certainly won't cry into my (root) beer if the status quo obtains. I'm not certain that that this is a big issue; only 3 people have voted as of this writing.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:01 pm Reply with quote
I think the absence of votes is telling. Neither forum gets a lot of traffic. In both cases it is the same reason, the inverse of why the anime forum was split. With anime, now that we have streaming most people who want to discuss a series will have watched it within a day or so of its being posted. For both manga and novels, this is not practical since not only is the manner of delivery different, but people read at different speeds. Most of the discussion of specific volumes occurs in the Talkback Forum when there is a review.

Both manga and anime involve reading. Based on this I think there is more overlap in the audiences then between either and anime. Since the novels discussed are supposed to be ones that have manga or anime adaptations, often the same title will be offered in both manga and novel versions.

Courtesy of Yen Publishing, the output of novels is now sufficient that they will not be submerged in the manga discussions. I find it significant that our one remaining bookstore B&N shelves both manga and light novels together (which may be a bit confusing to some people). If it the same title, they will be side by side. Diamond Previews also intermixes the novels and manga as they come from the same publishers.

I'm not sure I see a down side to combining the forums. It is possible having both together will precipitate additional discussion. It is worth a try.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:30 am Reply with quote
Did I miss a poll or something? Confused by Alan saying the lack of votes is telling and nobahn saying he voted yes. So did I miss a poll or are we referring to posts here as "votes"?

Personally I vote yes. Should be obvious as I brought the topic up lol. As for your point Alan about the Stickys I agree. I would suggest the following do not need to be a sticky:

Underground/Alternative discussion thread - I think it would be fine on its own without being a sticky.

Harder & Harder to find Manga - same reason as above. Would do fine simply as a normal discussion thread

Meet ANN Manga Style - I'm all for unstickying my own thread. We have the main one in the Anime section and this one gets hardly any posts.

Read Manga Online - I am on the fence here. It's useful to have the site listings but does it need to be a sticky given the lower traffic volume of the manga/LN sections?

I would also ask if we need the old welcome to the manga section announcement any longer.

Edit: Nevermind, just saw the poll in the LN section. Completely missed it.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:59 am Reply with quote

I would suggest that that any threads that get unstickied should have links to them placed here.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:30 am Reply with quote
I would also suggest that the Identifying Manga and General Questions threads be merged, as they are combined in the anime forum.
Brand

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm also all for these two being combined into one. It makes a lot of sense.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Did I miss a poll or something? Confused by Alan saying the lack of votes is telling and nobahn saying he voted yes. So did I miss a poll or are we referring to posts here as "votes"?

this is the poll
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:26 pm Reply with quote
So it's been a week since the poll went up and there's been a grand total of . . . . . *drums roll* . . . . . eight votes?! Such an overwhelmingly underwhelming interest indicates (to me, anyway) that that you could combine the two forums and no one would seriously care.
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:22 pm Reply with quote
^I agree. Especially considering that only one of the eight votes was against it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1