• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Don't Promotional Anime Cafés Last Longer?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
While these restaurants might sound really elaborate and exciting, like a theme park experience, the reality isn't quite so impressive. These cafés are usually quite small, and the food is usually overpriced and not so great. The special merchandise is often just small souvenirs like collectable coins. Most of these events involve simply putting up some poster and standees, and maybe playing some footage on a monitor.

I went to quite a few cafe's on my last trip with some friends and I can agree wholeheartedly Justin here. After you've been to one, unless you really want something they're giving away / selling, you can probably find something better to do.

At least the more permanent / semi-permanent ones like Baratie or Artnia have a nice setup / displays and are good for photos and shopping but the smaller, very temporary ones are unfortunately lacking.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:19 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:
(And ftr, the chocolate-strawberry Batman cereal was tastier than the caramel Superman cereal, but it was close.)

I prefer the Superman cereal, but that's probably because semi-sweet chocolate has never been my thing. But I think they're best off mixed together. (A subtle message told through edible merchandise!)

...Now you tell me. Smile But I'm the type who usually only buys one cereal at a time.

Quote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:
First I'm hearing about this cereal.

The next thing I know, you're going to tell me you've never heard of the Avengers: Age of Ultron cereal, or the Frozen cereal, or the Yu-Gi-Oh! cereal (which is, frankly, the most boring tie-in cereal I've ever seen), or the recent Star Wars cereals that come in Yoda and Kylo Ren.

Am I old for remembering a Prince of Thieves cereal, with crunchy arrows and marshmallow targets? No, really. Shocked
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:07 am Reply with quote
I was lucky enough to get to go a Love Live cafe just a day or two before the Final Live. It was an amazing experience. The walls were completely decorated in screencaps from the show, PVs were playing, there was a giant chalkboard where you could write a message to u's, and a full set of cut outs from Snow Halation. The food was actually really good, and was modeled after Snow Halation and Sunny Day Song. The merch you could buy afterwards was amazing. Fancy plates of unidolized White day, Snow Halation wall scroll, pillow cases, cookies and candies, etc etc. I think I spent nearly $200 and that wasn't even half of the merch they offered.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:59 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

In a way, American businesses do these sort of things sometimes too, like a few 7-Eleven stores becoming Kwik-E-Marts for The Simpsons Movie, complete with RC Cola sold there relabeledas Buzz Cola, Budweiser relabeled as Duff Beer, serving Homer's signature pink-frosted sprinkled donuts, etc; or various Westfield malls retheming themselves around Pokémon Black and White. Unofficial ones are very rare though, due to how active some of these lawyers are.

The Pokemon Black and White Tour was pretty fun! Lots of stuff to do, and a sort of event you don't normally see in America (especially for Pokemon at that time!)

Speaking of pop-ups though, there IS the Hello Kitty Cafe in Los Angeles. It's opened this year and apparently will close next year. Looks like they also have a van that drives around the country too, as a promotional thing. I hope to go there at least once before it closes, for the novelty.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:40 am Reply with quote
Is that Hello Kitty Cafe official?

I'd guess that part of the reason these cafés can exist in Japan is related to the whole pseudo-legality of doujinshi: That if the copyright holder doesn't take legal action, neither will anyone else. Whereas in the United States, unofficial ones would be likely to get cease-and-desists.

But yeah, I loved that Pokémon Black and White event too. Almost got a Zorua plush because Zorua is so cute, but I got...something else instead, forgot what. (And Zorua would be a common plush anyway.)
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:09 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

I tried looking into it too, but I couldn't find anything actually confirming it. I'm pretty sure it is, though. Not sure why Sanrio would allow an unofficial van branding "Hello Kitty Cafe" to tour the country. It made stops to places like ComiCon and such, too.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:

I tried looking into it too, but I couldn't find anything actually confirming it. I'm pretty sure it is, though. Not sure why Sanrio would allow an unofficial van branding "Hello Kitty Cafe" to tour the country. It made stops to places like ComiCon and such, too.

Huh, all right then. If it's gone to Comic-Con (I'm guessing San Diego), then I'll guess it's official, as otherwise, it'd have to be done without Sanrio finding out.

I've seen ice cream trucks with obviously unofficial, badly drawn illustrations of SpongeBob, Olaf (the snowman), Lightning McQueen, but I think that's something else entirely.
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:05 pm Reply with quote
When I was young, I remember coming across an ice cream truck with a Super Mario Bros. paintjob. Amongst its selection was, in fact, Mario-branded(and shaped!) ice cream; assuming the ones you mention sell branded goodies as well, I'm not so sure they can be easily stopped(since them selling it means somebody has a license to make it).
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Well, it wouldn't be the ice cream truck driver or owner who has the rights to make those licensed brand ice cream pops, but the manufacturer, who then distribute to the ice cream truck businesses.

Licensed brand ice cream is pretty much the bread-and-butter of these ice cream trucks. They absolutely must have the Tweety Bird pops, the Super Mario pops, the Sonic the Hedgehog pops, the Bugs Bunny pops, and the Ninja Turtles pops. Of course, having a license to SELL these has nothing to do with having a license to paint these characters on the walls of the ice cream trucks. Might be distantly related to having permission to put those stickers on the sides of the ice cream trucks showing that they sell them though.

I'd guess the entire ice cream truck industry is in a legal gray area, though, if the companies allow their drivers (or whoever paints them) to draw licensed characters without getting legal permission to do so. Seriously, like half of the ice cream trucks I see are like this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2