• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Falling out with anime?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I have not watched a single show for the past four seasons. Possibly the last five or six. At times I wonder why I even consider myself an anime fan anymore. It's not a case of quality. I used to watch a decent amount of SOL, now I avoid all SOL because it's always shipping pandering garbage with obnoxious fanbases, even though the shows have great charadesign, seiyuu, and usually have much better artwork than they used to. The industry has stopped making harems like they used to, het romance basically doesn't exist anymore. Most "action" shows have terrible choreography and animation during action scenes.

And the fanbase of anime has grown obnoxious. Every site feels like it's filled with niwaka who only got into anime a few years ago and have no appreciation of otaku culture. They're ota-cool posers who like anime "ironically" and joke about how they're "weird" when they're normies to the max. They're the kind of people who say "anime was a mistake" and areinfuriatingly insincere. I remember going to my college's anime club--couldn't stand more than one meeting there. Everyone was a bunch of normie posers. I stopped going to cons for the same reason. I just have no connection to these mundane niwaka. Today's anime fans have no idea what it means to be a friendless and suicidally depressed failure of a nerd who watches anime half for the cute girls and half to stave away the thoughts of killing oneself. Honestly, you can't really call yourself an anime fan, or an otaku, if you're mentally sound and have social relationships.

Am I just out of touch with modern anime and its fanbase?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Gosh. So you're telling me some people are watching anime now just because they like the shows themselves and not as some weird surrogate for their staggering personal hangups? What is the world coming to?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Anime fans have always watched anime because they enjoy the shows. But if you look back at old anime fans--especially in Japan, which is far more relevant than secondary fandoms like the western ones--they were always obsessed, weird as hell, and somewhat mentally unstable. The industry was built off their backs. Now it's "hip" and "cool" to be an anime fan and "ironically" talk about fapping to a fanservice scene. People now shit on any male MC in a show and call all harem fans "creepy losers" even though this is [expletive] anime we're talking about.

Now the industry chases their ota-cool dollars with yuri-subtext SOL shit and edgelord original anime. When's the last time a harem was popular? Most anime fans these days cannot even remember the days when a show could have an all-female cast and not suffocate under pandering subtext. KyoAni used to adapt eroge, now they take novels and gut the author's vision so they can pair up the two heroines to make the niwaka squeal and shove yen down their gullet. fudge, even when there's a male MC there's always some girls feeling each other up because niwaka hate heterosexuality for some reason.

Why even watch anime these days when you know it's gonna pander to posers.

EDIT: Huh, 4343rd post. Cool.
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:15 pm Reply with quote
So, you long for the good old days when anime was made for people who were mentally unstable?
Really?

Chagen46 wrote:
Why even watch anime these days when you know it's gonna pander to posers.

Because I'm a poser?

Actually I am not really qualified to comment here because I have not seen anything that was made in the last two years and only ten shows that were made in the past five years.
I have to wonder though, is anime really a lot different now from what it was two to five years ago?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:23 pm Reply with quote
I was tempted to delete this thread as it only serves to invite the abuse of contemporary anime fans, but I'll lock it for the moment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1