• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2016 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pikrodafni

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
If it wasn't for the brother-sister relationship then Girlish Number would probably be my favorite first episode of the season. It's absolutely dripping in cynicism, sarcasm, and the dog-and-pony show that seiyuu live events have become. The reaction Chitose had when she met the light novel author was simply perfect. If it wasn't for her brother being her agent then I'd say that this is just the sort of idol-esque show that I'd love to watch. No irritatingly squeaky-clean image of the industry here, several times various characters point out just how messed up it is. I love it. Just, please, please, do not slip into Oreimo-style situations because I really want this to be a solid and entertaining critique of the industry.

What brother-sister relationship?Just because the series has 2 siblings it means automatically that there will be something romantic about it?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:57 pm Reply with quote
In case English is not your mother tongue, "relationship" does not have to imply romance. In this case, I feel it would have been a much stronger setup by just having some non-related overworked talent agent instead of her blood brother. That said, if it doesn't veer into Oreimo-territory then I'm willing to overlook that aspect of the show.
pikrodafni

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I actually like that he is her brother because she can be more relaxed and herself around him.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Certainly wasn't on my radar, but Gi(a)rlish Number looks like a keeper (why is there an (a) in the title?). Especially good was the conversation in the bar where no one actually said anything. We won! I wonder how this will go down in the otaku community, not to mention the industry. Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Based on Girlish Numbers first eppie, I'd say there is zero chance of the siblings going within 10 billion miles of OreImo territory. And the fact they are siblings lends credibility to the situation, imo. I get the sense that the ONLY reason he has her as a client is that they are related and even then she's fortunate he isn't more successful.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Watari doesn't really go beyond very light subtextual sis/brocon so I doubt it will go that direction.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Certainly wasn't on my radar, but Gi(a)rlish Number looks like a keeper (why is there an (a) in the title?). Especially good was the conversation in the bar where no one actually said anything. We won! I wonder how this will go down in the otaku community, not to mention the industry. Smile

Probably not gonna sell much since the show's telling otaku that their LN anime is actually seen as moneymaking garbage by the industry, that idol shows are just soulless moneygrabs, that everything they love is just about the hard cold cash, and that their waifu seiyuus kinda hate their jobs
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Really Chapman? SNAFU was an extremely divisive show? Every show has critics, but SNAFU was one of the best received shows by fans and critics alike last year. Try not to present your own biases as facts.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:55 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
Really Chapman? SNAFU was an extremely divisive show? Every show has critics, but SNAFU was one of the best received shows by fans and critics alike last year. Try not to present your own biases as facts.

It's hard to really gauge how a show like SNAFU was received based on fan and critical responses to its second season; quite simply put, everyone who couldn't stand the show already checked out of the franchise well before the second season was even announced. If you want to get a better idea of how "divisive" a show is, go back to 2013 and check out episode reviews of the first season. Sure, a lot of people really loved the show, but check out this weekly review that placed it at #13 out of the 14 shows the reviewer was watching that season, or some of the comments in this thread.

Also, as a personal anecdote, every single person I have shown an episode of SNAFU to has hated it, so I'm much more sympathetic to the claim that it is a "divisive" show than most.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:10 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
kinghumanity wrote:

It's hard to really gauge how a show like SNAFU was received based on fan and critical responses to its second season; quite simply put, everyone who couldn't stand the show already checked out of the franchise well before the second season was even announced. If you want to get a better idea of how "divisive" a show is, go back to 2013 and check out episode reviews of the first season. Sure, a lot of people really loved the show, but check out this weekly review that placed it at #13 out of the 14 shows the reviewer was watching that season, or some of the comments in this thread.

Also, as a personal anecdote, every single person I have shown an episode of SNAFU to has hated it, so I'm much more sympathetic to the claim that it is a "divisive" show than most.

Right. As someone whose job it is to basically track popularity and perception of anime titles amongst various demographics (well, it's one of many parts of my job), I'm very confident in saying that SNAFU is divisive. All that means is that the people who love it really love it, and the people who don't do not, as opposed to a show where people are lukewarm or just largely disengaged. It's a compliment really, it's better to generate strong opinions in one direction or another than shruggy ones.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:13 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
kinghumanity wrote:

On MAL, season one was rated 8.12. Season two was rated 8.31. Both seasons sold for well over 10,000 copies and the light novels have been critically acclaimed and won numerous awards. How much more positive can you get?

On Girlish Number, I'm excited about a cynical version of Shirobako, but I'm sad that they won't be comparable in visual quality. PA works put in excellent work for Shirobako, and I can't say the same about Diomedea.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
In case English is not your mother tongue, "relationship" does not have to imply romance.

And yet, you explicitly referenced OreImo - twice, in two separate posts - as the type of relationship you didn't want the siblings to have.

Why would you even be fearful of that scenario? Did we watch the same episode? Your professed concern for an incestuous relationship is so ridiculous and bizarre, I half expect that you're actually joking.

Megiddo wrote:
In this case, I feel it would have been a much stronger setup by just having some non-related overworked talent agent instead of her blood brother.

And I think you're wrong.

The sister doesn't have much talent (yet, anyway) or even drive, but she became a seiyuu because of her brother's position as a seiyuu talent manager. It's basically nepotism, which adds to the show's stinging critique of the industry (it's not how good you are but who you know that makes you successful).

Also, familial bonds also adds an interesting dynamic to what would otherwise be a boring manager-seiyuu relationship. And they can be far more openly honest and direct with one another (and therefore, the audience) than if they weren't related.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:49 pm Reply with quote
My professed concern came because Chitose constantly referred to her brother as Gojou-kun except one time where she used "Onii-chan". That's the one moment in the first episode where I could point to and say, yep, here's the part of the story that will attract otaku in spades and can be exploited for future gain. I've learned to be wary of this stuff in anime. I've grown rather cynical. Had they not been brother/sister then I wouldn't have any reason to be wary, but hopefully the anime doesn't devolve into the trite substance that's it's ridiculing.
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
My professed concern came because Chitose constantly referred to her brother as Gojou-kun except one time where she used "Onii-chan". That's the one moment in the first episode where I could point to and say, yep, here's the part of the story that will attract otaku in spades and can be exploited for future gain. I've learned to be wary of this stuff in anime. I've grown rather cynical. Had they not been brother/sister then I wouldn't have any reason to be wary, but hopefully the anime doesn't devolve into the trite substance that's it's ridiculing.

Watari isn't the kind of author that likes to pander by baiting with little sisters. I think we are fine here. In fact, I think SNAFU has one of the best little sister characters in recent years.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:28 am Reply with quote
Not to get too personal, but zrnzle500 you are starting to sound like a "collector" of shows to watch, so many! How do you have enough time? I'd have to say that I've turned to the opposite, I don't see more than BBK/BRNK interesting enough to watch and from the shorts reviews, no good shorts this season either (Nyanbo isn't my sort of show). Crying or Very sad Enjoy, everyone...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 36 of 38