• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2016 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:02 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
My professed concern came because Chitose constantly referred to her brother as Gojou-kun except one time where she used "Onii-chan". That's the one moment in the first episode where I could point to and say, yep, here's the part of the story that will attract otaku in spades and can be exploited for future gain. I've learned to be wary of this stuff in anime. I've grown rather cynical. Had they not been brother/sister then I wouldn't have any reason to be wary, but hopefully the anime doesn't devolve into the trite substance that's it's ridiculing.

Stuff like that is probably fine and won't lead to any "closer re-definition" of their familial relationship. No, what we should be looking out for is the suspicious father-daughter relationship in Matoi; most adult males were shown inherently weak to the presence of a female, the father confusing the appearance of his daughter in her supernatural transformation phase to that of his late wife (always a sign to look out for), and the show's villains' main powers that seem to remove inhibition of sorts just give a bad vibe.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:09 am Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
No, what we should be looking out for is the suspicious father-daughter relationship in Matoi; most adult males were shown inherently weak to the presence of a female, the father confusing the appearance of his daughter in her supernatural transformation phase to that of his late wife (always a sign to look out for), and the show's villains' main powers that seem to remove inhibition of sorts just give a bad vibe.

The more I learn about this show, the less I want to watch it.
synaia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:11 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure if it's said already but girlish number is not an original anime adaptation. It's based on the light novel written by Watari, Wataru (Yahari) and serialized in Dengeki G's magazine.
pikrodafni

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:33 am Reply with quote
synaia wrote:
I'm not sure if it's said already but girlish number is not an original anime adaptation. It's based on the light novel written by Watari, Wataru (Yahari) and serialized in Dengeki G's magazine.

No it isn't.Girlish Number is a multimedia project.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:24 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Hameyadea wrote:
No, what we should be looking out for is the suspicious father-daughter relationship in Matoi; most adult males were shown inherently weak to the presence of a female, the father confusing the appearance of his daughter in her supernatural transformation phase to that of his late wife (always a sign to look out for), and the show's villains' main powers that seem to remove inhibition of sorts just give a bad vibe.

The more I learn about this show, the less I want to watch it.

And it is entirely possible that it would not be for you. However, if it is concern over the father-daughter relationship becoming tawdry that is your primary worry, I'd say it's a non-issue. I've seen both episodes and I don't get any sense that the show is going down that road. Also, the villains "main powers" aren't to "remove inhibition of sorts". People can be possessed by demons and the demons use the possessed to kill other people. There is nothing in the show so far to suggest that a demon would possess Matoi's father to force him to have some sexy time with her. Kill her, yes. Ravish her, very unlikely.
pleochroic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:58 am Reply with quote
Not a horrible season so far.

I'm saving Haikyuu S3, Bungou Stray Dogs S2, Hibike Euphonium S2, and Ajin S2 for binge watching after they're done, unless I end up dropping a lot of the shows I like at this point. I'm still 2 seasons behind with Natsume Yuujinchou, so that will have to wait as well.

Keijo!!!!!!!! deserves not even a single exclamation point. I frankly don't see anything to value here. Dropping it after ep1.

Yuri!!! on Ice on the other hand deserves its exclamation points. Easily the best animation of the shows I've been watching this season, and that's not just about the skating, but about the many small touches, in people's expressions, in other movements. Since I like figure skating, I am glad to see an anime that actually does it justice. I also enjoy the story, the protagonist is likeable and believable, the rivalry with tsuntsun-Yuri will be interesting if Viktor pushes them to express their natural opposites, the small town hero appreciation is lovely. Homoerotic subtext in figure skating? Say it isn't so! For once anime isn't just making it up, *snicker*. I hope the show continues as strong as it started.

Nanbaka -- what on earth was that? A herd of rainbow unicorns shit sparkly skittles all over a maximum security prison. Unfortunately we are just told these guys are super great at escaping, but we're not shown. I didn't find the humour funny. Dropped after 2 eps.

Sangatsu no Lion came in like a depressed person under water, and boy, did it get that right. Impressive. And Shaft is doing a great job while not overdoing it with the Shaftisms. Beautiful art, sensitive story, just enough humour and kindness to balance the dejection. And Bump of Chicken. I could just squee.

WWW.Working!! -- I did not see the previous installment of the franchise. This didn't sweep me away, but it has some potential; the second ep ramped it up a bit. The subbing seems to me too superficial to capture all the jokes. The art is kind of dull. I'll keep watching for a while longer, this one might be a sleeper.

Watashi ga Motete Dousunda -- oy vey. I am torn. The thing is that as a gay man I have actually encountered fujoshi like this, girls who engage in RPS (Real Person Slash), who make real people very uncomfortable, and seem to think actual gay men are there for their viewing pleasure -- that goes way over the line of fantasizing whatever you want in your own head, which is what regular fujoshi do, and with which I see nothing wrong. And I don't appreciate RPSers. At all. They deserve to be ridiculed. On the other hand, being fat has nothing to do with that. What's with that fat voice? Fat people do not speak like old women. What's with the weight loss cure for vision problems? I appreciate that two of the boys were already nice to Kae when she was fat. I also like how she is totally floored at the sudden attention and really mostly couldn't care less. I could see how this might turn into a insightful skewering of RPS fujoshi obnoxiousness, obsession with looks on both their part and that of boys, hiding one's true self from people out of fear, so I'll keep watching in the hope that that's where it goes. But I am not entirely hopeful.

Udon no Kuni no Kiniro Kemari -- I guess Usagi Drop has gifted us with a new subgenre. This was quiet but cute, and I want to see where it goes.

Flip Flappers -- inventive visual fun. I don't know that it'll keep my interest, but so far so good.

Gi(a)rlish Number -- a much more cynical look at the unseen underbelly of Shirobako, eh. Not gonna spend a lot of time sifting through the cameo homages here, I expect. ;) I don't much care for Chitose, but she is probably a good protagonist for this show. Art and Animation not much to write home about, but it's all about the story here. I doubt this is going at all in OreImo's direction, though I think it's important that they are brother and sister because it allows for much more familiarity, and it's the nepotism knife in the back of people who think earnest, hardworking people are the ones who make it. Nope, lazy Chitose is getting a shot at fame a whole lot sooner than she actually deserves, thanks to her brother. This looks like it could be wicked, biting, and insightful.

ClassicaLoid -- insane visual fun. I don't think this will become a keeper (Beethoven's gyouza joke is already old), but I enjoyed the first ep. The story makes absolutely no sense -- who in the world would tear that treasure of a house down? As one might hope, they're doing some fun stuff with music here as well. I'll keep watching for a while longer, but am not expecting much.

Magic-Kyun! Renaissance -- I always regret watching (reverse) harems, and yet I have a flat learning curve in that regard. The unicorns that shit skittles all over Nanbaka visited MagiKyun too, with bigger 3D sparkles! Everything here is eye-rollingly ostentatious, from the school rivalling Versailles reimagined in Dubai, to the ridiculous uniforms, to the self-important talk of student kings, princes, and princesses. And those stairs! Oh Japan, your anime elitism is so gauche. But the art is actually pretty, once one has recovered from the initial barfing due to the skittles explosion. How can I just bitch about something that takes inspiration from Gaudi?! The insert chick is too stupid to live, of course, apparently she never talked with her beloved mom about mom's beloved school, or mom's amazing magic, and has therefore to undergo plentiful infodumping by her butch roomie (my favourite character so far). But at least she isn't a doormat, and she isn't easily discouraged by His Royal Iciness, King Ichijouji who views her as an enemy because -- I kid you not -- his magical family of singers and hers of ikebana arrangers have been making like the Capulets & Montagues since the 14th century. Alrighty then. I doubt I'll stick with this for long -- everything is just so artificial here; I don't even feel the slightest vicarious doki-doki for any of the boys. Suminomiya maybe? Nope, just a *dok*.

That's it. It could be worse! I'm still undecided as to whether I want to watch some of the other shows; I'm not really in the mood for pseudo-sfnal battles. Might have a peek at the rugby show. Oh, and will definitely catch Fune wo Amu when it hits.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:51 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Not to get too personal, but zrnzle500 you are starting to sound like a "collector" of shows to watch, so many! How do you have enough time? I'd have to say that I've turned to the opposite, I don't see more than BBK/BRNK interesting enough to watch and from the shorts reviews, no good shorts this season either (Nyanbo isn't my sort of show). Crying or Very sad Enjoy, everyone...

Considering the fact I watch very little linear TV, I spend about the same as the average amount of TV watched by my fellow Americans watching anime. 37 shows at let's say 25 minutes is about 15.4 hours a week or about 2.2 hours a day, which is almost certainly an overestimate as some of those are shorts. As compared to 2.8 hours or 5 hours overall or 27 hours 37 minutes a week in my age group depending on who you ask. I do watch some older titles as well, but that varies significantly so I don't really have a good estimate for that.

I would say that thinking of me as a collector isn't wrong, though I never thought to refer to myself as such on this matter. I have expanded my tastes over the years, and there are a number of shows this season I would have passed on not too long ago. For example, I hadn't even watched Haikyuu until a few months ago. For the past few months especially, I have been challenging myself to watch (good) shows that I hadn't watched before. In fact, I just started watching Free! the other day, and I fully intend to watch all of both seasons. I know most people don't have the time and interest to approach the medium as I do, and I have watched my share of disappointments along the way, but I don't regret doing so, because of shows that were surprisingly worthwhile, even if it was just a little. That doesn't mean I will watch anything and everything (I don't generally watch reverse harems and anything but the cream of the crop of sports anime, aside from Battery Embarassed ) but I will admit it is more than most. My younger brother likes to jokingly ask if I have watched all anime yet. If sites like MAL or Anime-Planet are reasonably comprehensive, probably only about 10% or so.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
And it is entirely possible that it would not be for you. However, if it is concern over the father-daughter relationship becoming tawdry that is your primary worry, I'd say it's a non-issue. I've seen both episodes and I don't get any sense that the show is going down that road. Also, the villains "main powers" aren't to "remove inhibition of sorts". People can be possessed by demons and the demons use the possessed to kill other people. There is nothing in the show so far to suggest that a demon would possess Matoi's father to force him to have some sexy time with her. Kill her, yes. Ravish her, very unlikely.

Okay, good to know, thanks!
Muffum

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I already mostly went over my thoughts on Girlish Number in the thread for its episode review. Basically I enjoyed the first episode, while not sure on any specifics of how the series will proceed due to a lot of the first episode being set-up, even if that set-up was amusing. 3.5/5

I also ended up marathoning Show By Rock over the weekend, meaning I got to go back and watch the premiere for its second season. It sure was a premiere; the beginning of the episode felt like a rapid departure from a lot of what the series established in the first season, and I'm not sure if that was for better or worse. After that, it felt like more of the same, with a lot of the gags from early in the first season repeated to show not much has changed. The characters are all still enjoyable goofballs, so I'll be sure to stick around for this. 3/5

And since second episodes have aired for basically everything else I'm watching, I might as well go over those as well. Yuri on Ice, Flip Flappers, and Keijo!!!!!!!! all succeeded in most of the same places their first episodes did, so I'll be sure to keep watching all those for at least a while longer. I'd actually consider All Out!!'s second episode better than its first, but at the same time it established the series isn't really for me. I thought the progression of Gion's training was well-done, but it didn't do anything for me personally. I have no significant problem with the series at large, but I don't think I'll watch any more.

That leaves me with about 15 shows for the rest of the fall season, which I think is a healthy number. If nothing else, it's much better than summer, where I had fewer than 10 shows for the better part of it.
fairx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I love industry related anime, from the quirky Animation Runner Kuromi to the latest Girlish Number. The initial impression from our authors here reflects mine generally. Theres a hint of darkness in the first episode (that the industry is wierd and nasty but theres a ray of sunshines too), in contrast with 1st episode of Shirobako (that the industry is gruesome - but can be fun too). This anime has potential.

I wonder how Japan audience fare industry related anime?

I have no Idea who produce or write the anime until I read it here. I have abandon Hachiman and his groupie(!?) long time ago. But this might drive me revisit them again.
chaccide

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:01 pm Reply with quote
In case someone else out there was looking for a calendar showing exactly when all the shows on Crunchyroll played and was not aware of this feature:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/simulcastcalendar

Why can't CR advertise/promote their own features better? This is such a beautiful thing and I had no idea it existed.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:23 am Reply with quote
I couldn't wait any longer for The Great Passage. Oh, man, this is totally in my wheelhouse! Every second of it was fantastic, except for the OP which totally killed the beautiful mood of the teaser. It's not a terrible song or anything, it's just a terrible fit for this.

I haven't heard a dub this sweet since Rakugo. Everyone is bringing their A game to this, and Majime in sales mode was a voice I've never heard out of Sakurai before. And the details in his performance - like the little "oof" when Majime hit the floor exhausted. Between that and the animation, I could feel his weariness in my bones.

Speaking of Rakugo, the original character designs are by Rakugo's mangaka, Haruko Kumota, and have a Ghibli feel to them as well. Beautiful.

This so better end up with a review slot. It's my top pick for the season already (among new series - too hard to choose with the returnees). 10/5 Is this on Blu-ray yet? Very Happy

We seriously need a drooling emoticon...
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:58 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
This so better end up with a review slot. It's my top pick for the season already (among new series - too hard to choose with the returnees). 10/5 Is this on Blu-ray yet? Very Happy

Gabriella Ekens will cover it in the DSR.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:07 am Reply with quote
Just here to leave a virtual drooling emoticon next to Gina's. Weekly dosage of Sakurai-san defining things like air and right. The linguist and fangirl in me are both very much aboard this titular ship.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:33 am Reply with quote
And with Hiroshi Kamiya and Yoshiko Sakakibara playing off him in the editorial room. I'm in heaven. Smile And not just the voices, the sound design in this is amazing.

@ Hameyadea: That's good news, but how do you know this? Zin5ki knew one of their faves was out of the running before the voting even ended. Where are you guys getting your info? Do you need a secret handshake to get in?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 37 of 38