• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2016 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:50 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

@ Hameyadea: That's good news, but how do you know this? Zin5ki knew one of their faves was out of the running before the voting even ended. Where are you guys getting your info? Do you need a secret handshake to get in?

The Secret List
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:14 am Reply with quote
Thank you. It never showed up on the thumbnails below the forum and news pages for me like it usually does. I even went to the front page to look, but I guess I didn't go back far enough.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:26 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the first episode of The Great Passage as well. My only quibble with respect to credibility is wondering how somebody like Majime could have ended up actually landing a sales job in the first place or why he would have wanted one.

I tell you what though, I won't be watching March comes in like a lion and The Great Passage back to back. Unlike Rei, I don't think Majime is suffering from fullblown depression, but he is clearly lonely, isolated and trying to cope with an acute case of social dysfunction. I know that Aspberger's is no longer considered an official diagnosis, but Majime seems to be wandering in that territory. Interesting that both first eppies used water imagery to convey emotional states.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:14 am Reply with quote
Dang. Amazon better get The Great Passage to us stat. If they have it of course. CR still has one TBA entry in their Fall lineup. Maybe they just forgot to remove it. Either way, someone get this to my TV ASAP.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:32 am Reply with quote
At this point my assumption is that the remaining CR spot is for Lugar Code 1951, which IIRC debuts next week.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:34 am Reply with quote
Ah right. Amazon still needs to get their act together though
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
At this point my assumption is that the remaining CR spot is for Lugar Code 1951, which IIRC debuts next week.

Luger Code 1951 is just a one-episode-long ONA. Hard to believe that the remaining spot would be reserved for it.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:58 pm Reply with quote
And yet The Ancient Magus's Bride only has one episode so far (with another one not coming for a while yet) and it's still listed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I waited to see if the dictionary publishing (!) anime would be worth it but it wasn´t and the only thing Noitamina can deliver by now are stylish character designs.

3-gatsu no Lion 9/10 Anime that are better than the manga are rare but here is one. The improvement is only small but still noticeable, as the manga´s introspective bits felt a little unearned early on, but Shaft elevated these scenes with their trademark style. This allows you to get inside the head of the protagonist without any developed backstory. (It´s if course coming.) The over the top comedy half was also nailed and the price for the best anime cat´s ever already goes to this show. NO question, dat voice acting. I may have found my anime of the year but expect a small dip in quality soon and a rebound in the middle of the run.
I will again repeat that the anime will need a second season, as the manga has no satisfactory cut-off point, and don´t expect a vocal romance any time soon.

Drifters 6/10 I loved the first half and the 2nd just meandered around without a cohesive atmosphere. Meaning that the manga is getting a 1 to 1 adaptation and that inferior 2nd half is representative of the overall series. Ep. 1 + 2 also repurposed the OVA, so I already saw ep.2 and it had gore where there was none in the manga. That´s cool, i guess. The bland elf world setting is the real problem though. I will stick around for ep. 3-4 to see if the action scenes will be worth it, but they aren´t in the manga. Just a bunch of cool dudes jumping and slicing random soldiers. I expect more from Mr. Hellsing´s next work, but he proved to be a one-hit wonder anyway.

Naruto Shippuuden I have been staying away from this thrown together adaptation, as I do like the manga, but the main narrative is finally ending and I jumped in after the Kaguya crap + a year worth of filler. The final fight was well done but the pacing is bewildering to say the least. Who needs the 100th “Naruto had it tough as a child” during a fight for 3 eps. straight? Feel free to return for the ending but regularly fast forward. Naruto Kai and a new studio when?

Shuumatsu no Izetta 7/10 I expected nothing to due to the trashy writer and this should be his strongest effort yet but his My-HiME also started well enough and then fell off a cliff. The shoehorned in fanservice and the blandest take on fantasy WW2 possible already give me pause but ep. 1 ended with a strong action scene and the animation is overall noteworthy. I have a tough time believing that the quality will last but who knows. Ep. 2 was lastly very straightforward and way to exposition crazy. Half the runtime would have been enough but the blood magic bit was somewhat interesting. My style over substance comment seems to come true.

Yuri!!! on Ice 7/10 I like the basic premise, the OP was a work of beauty but the tone and style were all over the place so far. Certainly below Ogawa Yayoi´s noteworthy ice skating manga that should be adapted instead. I actually know a bit about the sport due to my mother regularly watching these on tv. I would like to stick around but I will need a cohesive narrative and less "of so quirky" nonsense to do so. This season´s best show is also doing all Yuri is trying to do too, but much better, so it´s skate or die in my ring.
Ep. 2 was even more random due to the introduction of more bishonen cliches, final chance.

I now saw the 2nd ep. of my dark horse candidates and both delivered inferior follow-ups, so i may be soon reduced to "only" 1 new show. I still prefer a clear highlight over a bunch of B- shows that slip over the season and get dropped, as the last 2 times.

Ongoing is JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Is Unbreakable and part 4´s slight quality decline hit by now. The pacing also increased, as ¼ less time is allotted this season.
Also: Justice League Action (air-date please), South Park, Star Wars Rebels, Steven Universe,
The Simpsons (the VR ep. was decent), Teen Titans Go! and Vixen.
This week´s Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders (Adam West is back) lastly proved to be the best toon comic film of the year... in a year with an Alan Moore adaptation! Thank Zod for the DCEU and DC´s animated slate for 2017 looks to be a rebound. Marvel is also putting out a Hulk monster masher this month but their toon films tend to be a mess.
And that was the anime year of 2016. I had worse, i had better... it exists.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I have to say, I am kind of shocked the review panel has given Keijo a pretty fair and good rating. Didn't expect the panel to take to the super fanservice premise well.

Keijo is turning out to be a darkhorse/underdog of the season for me. For what is supposed to be a schlocky show, the story is interesting and the characters are already pretty lovable and I can't wait for the action to keep ramping up.

Flip Flappers, Watashi gi Motete, 3-Gatsu and Haikyuu round out my personal faves.

But honestly, there hasn't been a stronger Fall in anime in years. I am watching pretty much all the shows that are airing this season and they all have some entertainment value to me.
Rockweaver

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:56 pm Reply with quote
i am a little disappointed in the lack of by episode reviews on some of the series. I wonder if that is just because they did not rate high enough on the first show or if the review members just don't have the time to write on them.
Examples
Magic-kyun! Renaissance
Matoi the Sacred Slayer
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Rockweaver wrote:
i am a little disappointed in the lack of by episode reviews on some of the series. I wonder if that is just because they did not rate high enough on the first show or if the review members just don't have the time to write on them.
Examples
Magic-kyun! Renaissance
Matoi the Sacred Slayer

There was a poll that went up where readers could vote on what shows they wanted to see receive weekly streaming reviews, and the top shows were assigned reviewers.
Rockweaver

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:54 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Rockweaver wrote:
Examples
Magic-kyun! Renaissance
Matoi the Sacred Slayer

There was a poll that went up where readers could vote on what shows they wanted to see receive weekly streaming reviews, and the top shows were assigned reviewers.

i guess i missed that poll Smile
s
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 38 of 38