• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How do I keep up with the Monogatari series franchise?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:09 am Reply with quote
I'm a really big fan of works with character designs by Akio Watanabe aka Poyoyon Rock and the extent to which I have entered the world of anime based on NisiOisin stories is limited to the original Bakemonogatari. It seems like there's constantly new spinoffs, films and arcs being animated and it is so overwhelming. I'm also worried about what's available from the older releases and the cost of things being released as special editions. I just want to watch the episodes and movies in the correct progression (another thing I have no idea about). Should I watch Kizumonogatari before or after Nekomonogatari, for example?

Please help break it down for me.

BTW, the number of this post is a palindrome also.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:44 am Reply with quote
Release order for the anime was:

Bakemonogatari -> Nisemonogatari -> Nekomonogatari: Kuro -> Monogatari Series: Second Season -> Hanamonogatari -> Tsukimonogatari -> Owarimonogatari -> Koyomimonogatari -> Kizumonogatari

Release order for the books were, when different from the anime:

Kizumonogatari right after Bakemonogatari
Hanamonogatari in the middle of Second Season
Koyomimonogatari before Owarimonogatari

However, one could watch the release order for the anime with no major issues. I'd recommend watching Kizumonogatari before Owarimonogatari, maybe.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:04 am Reply with quote
Taking the OP question in its two parts:

1) what order should things be watched in. Somebody needs to double check me, but from what I understand, if you wish to watch stuff in chronological order as it happens in world, you need to go:

Kizu - Neko (Black) - Bake - Nise - Monogatari Second Season - Tsuki - Hana - Koyomi (no release outside of Japan yet) - Owari

I used Wikipedia for that and according to it, Tsuki's in world chronology takes place before Hana.

2) Concerns about availability and cost. Very understandable. If you plan to own everything that has been released so far, I hope you are wealthy. Here's what it would cost (prices are TRSI/Amazon UK - if you have an all-region player, you can get some UK releases more cheaply):

Kizu Part 1 (there will be three movies): $70/N.A.

Neko (Black): $50/$22

Bake: $150/$44

Nise: $120/$34

Neko (White - Mono 2nd Season): $60/$22 (Tsuba arc)

Kabuki (Mono 2nd Season): $50/$21 (Mayoi arc)

Otori (Mono 2nd Season): $50/$18 (Nadeko arc)

Oni (Mono 2nd Season): $50/$22 (Shinobu arc)

Koi (Mono 2nd Season): $60/$21 (Hitagi arc)

Tsuki: $50/$23

Hana: $50/$22

Owari vol 1: $70/N.A.

Owari vol 2: $60/N.A.

Of the three sets you can't get from Amazon UK, that is simply because they haven't been released yet. I'm sure they will be. So far, everything is still available, but who knows how long that will last. So if you buy all the available sets from TRSI, it will cost you: $890 and from UK Amazon $249 with 3 sets not yet available. See what I mean about the desirability of an all region player?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:14 am Reply with quote
Hana's actually the last one chronologically. Koyomi takes place all over the timeline, and Owari is in the middle of Second Season. I wouldn't recommend someone to watch Monogatari chronologically at all.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:25 am Reply with quote
Just to add a note to those above:

Bakemonogatari was the first book published and the first anime released. In the anime (we don't have the book yet) they start in the middle of things. The protagonist is already part vampire with out much explanation. There are several unexplained references to what happened previously during Golden Week.

Kizumonogatari is the explanation as to how he became involved with the vampire and a couple of the major characters. It was the second book so the readers didn't have to wait that long to find out how things started. None of the Kizu movies are yet available in English yet. Yen press has issued Kizumonogatari in book form. It was issued before Bake with the authors input.

Nekomonogatari: Kuro is a flash back to "what happened during Golden Week". The book isn't available yet.

Even if you view the series in release order, you need to keep the chronology in mind. You may find it helpful to do a second watching of this first part of the series in chronological order. Some things in Bake make a lot more sense that way.

Have we confused you completely yet? Wink
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:06 am Reply with quote
Wow thanks killjoy and Blood-!
I think I would prefer watching them in release date chronology. Prequels can be watched first but I imagine there would be characters that I'd have to be familiar with first before appreciating their backstory.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Useful topic. I must nitpick though, it's Vertical not Yen who are releasing the novels. Bake is due out in December.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Ah, that friggin' Alan45, spreading lies, again. Whaddaya expectfrom somebody with a 6666 post count? Wink
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Oops!! Embarassed I've gotten so used to getting all of my novels from Yen. As far as I know the only anime related novels not from Yen are the Mongatari series from Vertical and the Galactic Heroes series from Viz. Sorry 'bout that.

@Past

You couldn't actually watch Kizumonogatari at this point. The final third has not been issued even in Japan. Do you have online access where you are now??
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:22 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Oops!! Embarassed I've gotten so used to getting all of my novels from Yen. As far as I know the only anime related novels not from Yen are the Mongatari series from Vertical and the Galactic Heroes series from Viz. Sorry 'bout that.

@Past

You couldn't actually watch Kizumonogatari at this point. The final third has not been issued even in Japan. Do you have online access where you are now??
Yes I do. Thanks to you too, Alan. I really want to get the U.S. releases from Right Stuf as I find the art extras appealing to my itching for more Watanabe artwork. Lend me about $800 please.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:54 am Reply with quote
@Past

Sorry, I phrased that badly. You obviously have online access since you are posting here. I'm assuming you are still physically in China. What I was trying to ask is do you have access to Crunchyroll or other US streaming sites or are you dependent on physical media? I asked because I think most, if not all of the Monogatari series is available streaming, with the exception of Kizumonogatari (which is too new). I know Crunchyroll has it. I believe there is an Aniplex channel and I know Daisuke has at least some of the series as I had to watch Nekomonogatari: Kuro there.

I could loan you the money, but I would have to witness your signature on the loan agreement (in your blood) so you would have to come here.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:07 am Reply with quote
Unless my memory is fading even quicker I think Nick Creamer did an article within the past year or so on the franchise and the best way to get into it. It's 2am and I'm actually working the ON shift tonight so I don't have time to search right now. I'll have to get back on that tomorrow.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:51 am Reply with quote
You're a busy guy, Psycho 101, so I'll do you a solid:

animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2015-08-07/monogatari-is-a-disaster/.90575
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1