• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Natsume Yuujinchou Go (TV 5).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:39 am Reply with quote

Natsume Yuujinchou Go (TV 5)

Genres: supernatural
Themes: spirits

Plot Summary: Natsume's just an ordinary kid, except he can see spirits, just like his grandma Reiko could. Reiko, though, used to bully the spirits, and bound them to her will in the "Book of Friends." Now that Natsume has inherited this book, a never-ending stream of spirits is coming after him. With the help of a spirit "cat" (who really just wants Natsume to die so he can have the book), Natsume spends his days dissolving the contracts that bind the spirits and trying not to get killed.
----------------------------------

Season 5 of Natsume's Book of Friends. Been several years since the previous season, airing today Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:06 pm Reply with quote

Same studio which did the recent 91 days, but I can't tell the difference between this series and the ones which have aired before it which isn't a bad thing at all.

It's been a while since an animated adaptation aired so perhaps this season viewers unfamiliar with the source material get to find out more about Natsume's infamous grandmother. There were a few snippets in the last season, but this first episode hints there might be more to her background and how she ended up with a grandson.

Unlike the Mononokean series before it, the youkai here are more dangerous as the hostility to humans is open and blatant for some specimens. This week's one was fobbed off after her demand was met, but others might be more troublesome and require the fat bodyguard's intervention.

Next week seems like one of the more conventional episodes where Natsume helps a Youkai in need, so looking forward to it to see if the appeal is there.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:14 pm Reply with quote
@Harleyquin: I already saw some users posting on Crunchyroll that watched the first episode without knowing it was the fifth season.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:40 am Reply with quote
Yesssssss! My favorite series is back!!
Going to be hyped every week for a new episode.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:26 pm Reply with quote

A familiar pattern from previous seasons recreated here for this season; namely the transience of human memories and relationships and how the timeless Youkai value their sporadic and fleeting encounters with the mortals long after those have passed on.

Although Natsume has lost count of the number of times he's had to help youkai trying to track down a human subject from decades ago, he still goes all out to help the youkai supplicant even if it means accepting the hostility of an unwitting and unseeing fellow human.

The usual running jokes apply regarding the fat bodyguard's names and how lax he is at performing the one task he was issued in return for ownership of the book.

Next week sees the return of two long-standing cast members; one of whom I was hoping wouldn't play too prominent a role even though he's in the OP. Never a dull moment for a series best known for its slow and relaxed pacing.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:46 pm Reply with quote

On its own, this episode is nice for bringing past viewers back to speed with the recurring character Natori and his servant youkai Hiiragi. As a two-parter, it serves as a contrast between the exorcist who does the job as a "sideline" compared to the cold-blooded professional willing to finish a contract by any means necessary (Matoba).

The shadowy bearded exorcist introduced in this episode will likely make an appearance in the grand gathering of exorcists to be aired next week. I wonder if he's the same person who uttered the curse over the telephone.

Natori finding out about the letter addressed to Natsume should make things interesting if he decides to make an appearance at the gathering as well. It's likely he will since the Natori clan is talented and his own reputation is a good one in the exorcist industry.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:08 pm Reply with quote

Enjoyed this episode the most out of the ones aired thus far. Plenty of action, a healthy dose of background info on recurring characters and even a follow-up to last week's little disclosure for next week.

In one of the earlier seasons Natsume joined one of these conventions with Natori in turn, but the atmosphere is completely different this week because of the press-gang Matoba employed. Although it is not surprising who the true culprit behind the possessing masks was, the way the issue was finally resolved illustrated how dangerous Matoba is.

I had wondered why Natsume was always conveniently given assistance to evade overtly-nosy exorcists in this episode and the trick was revealed at the end. Since Matoba has known Natori for a long time, he would have figured out where the letter really ended up.

Taki's first appearance this season is next week and it's a nice way of linking the whole arc together after what Natori casually revealed last week.
wyntre_rose

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:14 am Reply with quote
I loved these last two episodes! It was good to spend some time with Natori again last week, and the reveal about both spoiler[Taki's grandfather's circle, and Reiko's collection of youkai names - the Book of Friends] being forbidden techniques feels like there will be some really interesting episodes from here on in.

Matoba being in these episodes was a treat, too. His character really intrigues me. I feel like, even though he is a lot more cold blooded than either Natsume or Natori, that he's still got room to be redeemed somewhere down the line, though of course, things could swing in a completely different direction as well, and I'm looking forward to seeing him again, hopefully this season. Plus, Suwabe's voice for him is <3...lol.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:30 pm Reply with quote

Compared to the last two episodes which had a subtle undertone of menace, this episode marks a return to conventional form for the series.

The contrast between someone who can see without help and someone who can't but is understanding of the issue is heavily emphasised in this episode. Unlike Tanuma who has sensitivity, Taki is perfectly normal and needs her grandfather's legacy to experience what Natsume sees on an everyday basis. Because of her grandfather's work, she gets more chances to interact with youkai than most ordinary people but it's Natsume's intervention that acts as the crucial missing link between the two normally unbridgeable parties.

Interesting conclusion the big youkai drew regarding the forbidding of the circle and similar items. Matoba and Natori would take the side of paranoid humans claiming this would prevent youkai from doing humans any harm, but the youkai themselves say it is better for the worlds to be separated to avoid unnecessary emotional links which are inherently unsustainable because of the different lifespans each are bestowed.

New ED animation for this week. If one wanted to be unkind, it's easy to point out that the animators were late introducing this new sequence since the one that came before was essentially a bunch of stills. I'd prefer to cut some slack and prefer the new sequence being premiered now rather than only for DVD owners.

It looks like the book of friends returns to the spotlight next week with Natsume getting into more youkai-related trouble owing to his physical resemblance.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:34 am Reply with quote
That was a sweet episode. Lol at the bunny showing off its tail to prove it's not a rat. I hope his twin tree isn't cut down too when he gets there.

I was really disappointed by the pressed-leaf ED, so it was a welcome return to form this week. I like the little stories the EDs tell about Natsume's life.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:23 pm Reply with quote

Change of pace at the start with Natsume getting attacked by the gang of hairy youkai. Fortunately he meets with another of Reiko's friends and gets saved by her (subtitles couldn't figure out the proper gender until the middle of the episode).

Hidaka's habit of adding 超 to some adjectives and verbs can be cute or grating depending on the audience, but there's no mistaking this youkai from others which have come before it. Not often one sees a giant bird walking on two legs dressed as a Japanese nun.

If I'm not mistaken, this is the first episode this season where Natsume Takashi returned a name properly with viewers getting a view of the memory which tied the contracter and contractee together (sometimes Takashi sees the memory, but I get the feeling most of the time it's for the audience's benefit). We also get to see the mid-level youkai and Hinoe make an appearance for the first time this season so that's most if not all of the recurring characters reappearing this season.

Next week is actually a rehash since the OVA with that particular episode came bundled with one of the print tankoubon volumes two years ago. It's a nice bonus for non-Japanese fans but everyone else can skip to the week after to continue the series.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Love the big bird youkai and its "chou" everything, LoL. Nyanko Sensei drinking a bottle of "Neko Koroshi" sake was hilarious. (There's an actual sake brand called "Oni Koroshi.") This was yet another wonderful episode.

It's sad that the online streaming broadcasts don't include the end card. Nyanko Sensei's line this week was "tou!" which was what Hidaka yelped as it flew away, and what Nyanko Sensei repeated shortly afterwards. (Wondering if that was an ad-lib by Inoue.) So cute!

OVA next week... That's rather... random. I wonder if the series is behind production or something. ^^;
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:16 pm Reply with quote

For the first time this series Tanuma comes under the spotlight as a bit about his childhood is revealed in this episode. No complaints about this episode, viewers get to play a little guessing game as to the identity of the interloper and there's another encounter with both benevolent and malevolent youkai with the usual bittersweet ending to top things off.

This should count as the unofficial obligatory appearance of a Ryokan in one of the animated adaptations. As always, there are always youkai involved with a bit of self-parody when the photo collection on haunted travel spots is taken out.

Next week sees the official exorcists battle it out again for Natsume's help and support. Always great to see the recurring characters carry the story forward, even if Natsume's grandmother still isn't involved directly.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:47 pm Reply with quote

Unusual episode as Natsume doesn't feature at all. Instead the pasts of Matoba Seiji and Natori Shuuichi are fleshed out in this episode. It's a good one too since viewers unacquainted with the source material are by now curious as to how the two exorcists met and why they are at loggerheads with each other after episode 4 of this season aired.

Natori at high school has plenty in common with Natsume in the series; isolated because of his gift and unwilling to speak up about it for fear of further alienation. The difference is Natori being a descendant of a long line of exorcists and with the ability to draw upon years of knowledge to better acquaint himself with the supernatural.

Matoba as a high school freshman being capable of exorcising a strong demon which the community were only content with containing shows just how strong he was at his age. It's odd that his present outfit hasn't changed much from his high school years, although the bandages around the eye are now confirmed to be a precaution undertaken by all Matoba clan heads for the treachery of their ancestor.

Divergent paths seems to be the main theme for the episode, especially when one considers what Natsume has been through over the last four season and this and how different he approaches youkai now that he holds his grandmother's legacy.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:21 pm Reply with quote
From some of the latest episodes, I really like how this season is focusing more on Shuuichi Natori. From his perspective as a high school student and exorcist, I also do find some parallel similarities between him and Natsume. Which is to say, Shuuichi is one of the characters that I find very interesting for his personality.

I guess we'll be getting more of Natsume again soon but just wanted to mention that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2