• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Do Anime Cross-Overs Work?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Those Lupin III/Detective Conan crossovers never should have happened to begin with. It was a horrible, lazy move by TMS. More of the de-balling Lupin went through in those last few TV specials. It's a good thing he's got his groove back.

Unless it can be established that both franchises take place in the same universe, or that they've crossed into a parallel one, I don't generally like crossovers. They generally have to water down one or more of the parties in the crossover or do backflips to make it seem natural they take place in the same world.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:05 pm Reply with quote
While I can't comment on the whole Toriko thing and the crossover associated with it, I will say this.

We should have more anime crossovers. They make things even more epic and interesting. Especially those anime crossover games.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Mewzard wrote:
Well, Toriko's anime failed in several regards as to being a faithful adaptation (in censorship, in making a filler character recurring through the whole show, in changing the Cooking Festival Arc's ending, etc). Not even counting that Toei has not been doing particularly great animation for TV series in recent years. I love the unique foods, the setting, the characters, the fights, how it all comes together. But the anime had flaws, and I'm sorry if acknowledging them offends you.

They certainly wanted to get more competing series with the Big 3, probably for when they eventually ended (and two of the three have).

Toei did most of the animation for the series, besides some Jump Super Anime Tour Specials, so that's not really fair to say that a series by said people couldn't have done better.

Popularity doesn't equate quality in any case. Tons of series that are objectionably terrible find success in the world for one reason or another (be it movies, tv, music, comics, etc). Toriko's not popular (not anymore at the very least), but many aspects of it make it one of Jump's best from my experience of many Jump manga spanning from the 80s to modern series.

i wouldnt necessarily dismiss the chance that toriko can redeem itself with an anime version. after all, if hunter x hunter and of all thing berserk can get anime remakes where their completely faithful to their manga counterparts, its a possibility that toriko might if the demand is really high and there is a company willing to take the risk.

as for the crossovers,its more or less an offshoot since we all know their NEVER gonna get licensed in the US. if it was that easy, then the Fairy Tail X Rave Master crossovers would have been licensed already. hell, a lot of the DBZ crossovers would have been dubbed since funi is hell bent on milking the franchise as much as possible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:16 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I always find it amazing just how much pull original content creators in Japan get over adaptations of their works. It's probably a better system overall than the Western model, where original creators often have absolutely no say and can wind up getting completely hosed by godawful cash-grabs, but I think there has to be a happy medium. What works in one media format doesn't necessarily work in another, and there have definitely been anime productions hamstrung by over-protective creators unwilling to let the people actually experienced in that medium take the lead. On the other hand sometimes you get cases like the author of Mushishi, who apparently liked what Artland was doing with her property enough to drop off homemade desserts for them. Very Happy

As I was reading the article, I was thinking of American comic book crossovers (before anyone tells me it's US-specific, I've seen Latin American comic books cross over too) and how they became so common that publishers just decided upon a shared universe with as many of them as possible, and then Marvel and DC would often cross over, and sometimes they'd even cross over with Image or a smaller publisher (like how Batman and Joker wound up in Wildstorm's Authority). The only major publishers that mostly keep to themselves are Archie and IDW, and even then, IDW has started combining their franchises into a shared universe (the Hasbro Cinematic Universe), albeit in a separate universe made specifically for massive crossovers. (They're not combining My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic with anything, at least.) And, of course, there's Archie Meets the Punisher, a crossover between Archie Comics and Image Comics.

And I figured the reason behind all these crossovers is twofold. The first is, of course, the diminished control comic book creators have in the west compared to those in Japan. But the second is that the western comic book market, and its audience, have become accustomed to crossovers and shared universes, so both the work culture and fan culture have adjusted to make crossovers as easy as possible. The manga and anime businesses don't do crossovers much, so their infrastructure doesn't allow them to happen so easily.

Mewzard wrote:
Popularity doesn't equate quality in any case. Tons of series that are objectionably terrible find success in the world for one reason or another (be it movies, tv, music, comics, etc). Toriko's not popular (not anymore at the very least), but many aspects of it make it one of Jump's best from my experience of many Jump manga spanning from the 80s to modern series.

I would disagree. Something that's successful cannot possibly be objectionably terrible. Whatever it is, it has to have at least one good thing about it (even if that thing is its charm in its low quality, like Plan 9 from Outer Space, or the unusual behind-the-scenes production, like Sonichu). Otherwise, there wouldn't be so many people who would like it. If something is just plain terrible, revolting, and so unwatchable/unplayable/unlistenable that most people would agree it's that bad, it'll be rejected by the mainstream.

I would, however, say the inverse is very plausible, for something of high quality to be unsuccessful. The easiest, and I daresay the most common way this can happen is a lack of publicity (like The Iron Giant), though it can also be ahead of its own time (like Blade Runner) or marketed to the wrong audience (like Oldsmobiles of the late 80's).

penguintruth wrote:
Unless it can be established that both franchises take place in the same universe, or that they've crossed into a parallel one, I don't generally like crossovers. They generally have to water down one or more of the parties in the crossover or do backflips to make it seem natural they take place in the same world.

My favorite crossovers are the ones done for the silliness, the ones so mismatched and out of place that the creators know it makes no sense and revel in it, like Poker Night at the Inventory or Super Smash Bros. (Or Konami Track and Field!)

PlayStation All-Stars BattleRoyale not only never bothers to try to look like the same world, they go the opposite direction. Their stages pair the most clashing franchises together, like the God of War monsters getting attacked and overrun by the Patapon armies.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
From what I've heard, [Toriko] was not a strong seller. I have no idea what went on behind the scenes in regards to the One Piece cross-over episode (which WAS streamed on Crunchyroll), but we can take a few guesses.

Actually it still is, both of them.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/toriko/episode-1-arrival-on-the-gourmet-island-the-gourmet-hunter-toriko-appears-651515
http://www.crunchyroll.com/one-piece/episode-492-the-strongest-tag-team-luffy-and-torikos-hard-struggle-658815

http://www.crunchyroll.com/toriko/episode-51-the-reunion-of-toriko-and-luffy-find-the-seafood-fruit-666089
http://www.crunchyroll.com/one-piece/episode-542-a-team-is-formed-save-chopper-657971

The only one Crunchyroll didn't get was episode 99/590, the special with DBZ and that one is a mystery in itself because unlike the first two, it never got a DVD release in Japan which is a bit of a shame because even with it's issues, it had some awesome fight animation in there.
CR85747

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:47 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
I always find it amazing just how much pull original content creators in Japan get over adaptations of their works. It's probably a better system overall than the Western model, where original creators often have absolutely no say and can wind up getting completely hosed by godawful cash-grabs, but I think there has to be a happy medium. What works in one media format doesn't necessarily work in another, and there have definitely been anime productions hamstrung by over-protective creators unwilling to let the people actually experienced in that medium take the lead. On the other hand sometimes you get cases like the author of Mushishi, who apparently liked what Artland was doing with her property enough to drop off homemade desserts for them. Very Happy

As I was reading the article, I was thinking of American comic book crossovers (before anyone tells me it's US-specific, I've seen Latin American comic books cross over too) and how they became so common that publishers just decided upon a shared universe with as many of them as possible, and then Marvel and DC would often cross over, and sometimes they'd even cross over with Image or a smaller publisher (like how Batman and Joker wound up in Wildstorm's Authority). The only major publishers that mostly keep to themselves are Archie and IDW, and even then, IDW has started combining their franchises into a shared universe (the Hasbro Cinematic Universe), albeit in a separate universe made specifically for massive crossovers. (They're not combining My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic with anything, at least.) And, of course, there's Archie Meets the Punisher, a crossover between Archie Comics and Image Comics.

And I figured the reason behind all these crossovers is twofold. The first is, of course, the diminished control comic book creators have in the west compared to those in Japan. But the second is that the western comic book market, and its audience, have become accustomed to crossovers and shared universes, so both the work culture and fan culture have adjusted to make crossovers as easy as possible. The manga and anime businesses don't do crossovers much, so their infrastructure doesn't allow them to happen so easily.

Moral rights is an internationally recognized standard in Japan and other civil law countries, but doesn't really exist for popular media in the United States, so that puts American creators to a greater disadvantage then, say, European creators.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:10 am Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
We should have more anime crossovers. They make things even more epic and interesting. Especially those anime crossover games.

Yeah, as if we need more inconsequential filler to get shoehorned in the airwaves...at least it's a step up from recap episodes.

I feel like crossovers work better in manga format for the fact that it doesn't suck up the already precious airtime anime needs to convey the plot. It's also less jarring to see how a studio that is tasked to to do the majority of the animation in the crossover ep to work around the other, especially if that studio has a trademark style. I'd be a bit weirded out watching Nisekyuu!!! on TV. The crossover thing works best if it's kept within the same creator and studio, in my opinion.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:08 am Reply with quote
From a legal standpoint, excluding trademark issues, it would be a good idea for an anime cross-over to feature public domain characters. However, often the more obscure public domain characters might not be as a marketable as the still copyrighted popular characters.
CyberLance

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:55 am Reply with quote
I personally really love the Toriko anime and i want to own the entire series so im very sad that Funimation stopped releasing DVDs for the show. Sad
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:11 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
More of the de-balling Lupin went through in those last few TV specials. It's a good thing he's got his groove back.

And only took some 40 some odd years to do it.
A Man named RJ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

The problem with the lack of blood is that it shows a lack of progression. While the Big Three were noted at the time for their accessibility, now that their audience is a decade and a half older, they expect to have some sort of edge. Appealing to kids sometimes is fine, but constantly being all rosy without having adult plot points such as people getting impaled by gigantic flaming hands or a fourteen-year-old snapping necks, dismembering people, and tearing out organs (okay, not THAT violent, though that does happen in Naruto), people are going to get a little uninterested. Unlike the other studios you mentioned (most notably Madhouse, who went ahead and made both Death Note and even HxH a lot darker than they were as manga),

1: why do people insist on making a discussion about the "big 3" in regards to japan's industry? there is no "big 3" in japan.

2: Graphic violence shouldnt be the only thing to carry a series. there are several shows that arent nearly as graphic and still work wonders around a lot of graphic anime.

3: MADHOUSE did nothing remotely close to making anything "darker" than the manga. What is "darker" more graphic? the manga for HxH has organs sliding out and bones coming out of dismembered parts.

Quote:
Toei seems to keep living in simpler times. And it's not just Toriko that suffered it; World Trigger also suffered from these problems.

this is probably the dumbest thing I've ever read on these forums.

Toei is a company that prides itself nowadays on children's telivision and cinema they rarely deviate unless you want something like Expelled from Paradise.

Why do people fail to realize that most of the censorship from them is due to Timeslot and network guidelines? World Trigger worked just as well without all the blood of fake bodies. You wouldnt even know it was censored unless you looked at the manga. And it still kept a very huge interest curve, as WT is popular as all hell and only ended because it wasnt created to go on for much longer than 50 episodes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2