• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ClassicaLoid (TV) (both seasons).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:09 am Reply with quote

ClassicaLoid (TV)
ClassicaLoid (TV2)

Genres: comedy, science fiction
Themes: music

Plot Summary: High school students Kanae and Sōsuke live in a provincial town that is trying to revitalize itself with music. One day, suddenly "Classicaloid" versions of Beethoven and Mozart appear in front of Kanae and Sōsuke. When the suspicious-looking Classicaloids play music they call "mujik," it has a strange power: stars start to fall, and giant robots appear. Now every day is tumultuous. Eventually, more Classicaloids start to appear such as Bach, Chopin, and Schubert.
----------------------------------

Episode 1
Pretty fun start, even the OP song has a classical feel to it.

The humor is pretty amusing, a lot of segments that are quite overexaggerated. In the meantime, we meet the main characters as well. I find Beethoven to stand out the most of out of the main characters.

Good start so far. The music is very catchy with the classical style.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:28 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I don't think that I should enjoy this as much as I just did, the quirky bishie guys thing. But I think that this first episode was actually pretty solid. I put it down to things like a strong female lead with some spunk, and these quirky characters feel more accentuated by the general scenes rather than being too overpowering, like the characters being aware but not bringing to much attention to things like skating around or how the fire machine got there.

The classic music was kind of cool, and then wacky bits kind of fun, like of course Beethoven has a magical girl like transformation, followed by the organ and demolish machines which then dance with each other. I think in general it was fun. And yes, Beethoven stands out so far as a good character, but Sugita tends to have that sort of effect when playing quirky characters like this, like with Cheer Boys.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

I haven't had this much fun watching something in quite some time. I was hooked from the beginning of the episode and by the end I was in love. The characters are likeable and the comedy actually made me laugh. I can't wait to watch more.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Lol this show is still pretty crazy. The mountain of gyozas...Sousuke being the subject of a victim falling into traps, being thrown into a house literally, etc.

Still, I do find the humor to be rather amusing. Those slaps though. What a party! I won't forget this episode in awhile after the craziness that went down.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
phia_one

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Another enjoyable episode! I was laughing so hard when spoiler[Beethoven used Sousuke as the wrecking ball.]

I find it interesting that spoiler[we actually saw the flashes of memory that triggered Mozart's Musik. I'm curious what memories triggered Beethoven's.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:12 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

I love how their lame attempts to recreate the wrecking ball, getting in trouble along the way, they then straight up get a wrecking ball machine, one look from her turns their gesture from "move forward" to go back. And after several other random attempts of things outside of the wrecking ball they come back to it again with the same results, actually the repletion of a few things during that bit made it funnier.

A couple dull moments in the episode but it was very entertaining overall, it is fun.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Still been following this show. This has been such a wild ride so far!

Episode 7:

Mozart is such a weird guy yet I often find his character to be entertaining especially this week. He was completely out of his usual self.

This episode however did have a bit of the feels imo. Glad to see that they were able to bring that deer back though.The ending was just priceless. Classicloid's comedy is weird but I think works well overall for the show once you get used to it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:44 am Reply with quote
Episode 21

Man, this Schubert episode felt kind of too real, at least that frustration did. Don't know if everyone has kind of felt that way, but I know that I have, and I think had me realise that indeed Schubert is the one I like and can sympathise with the most.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:01 am Reply with quote
Episode 25 (season finale)

Show us what you got! Half expected them to get schwifty towards in there.

In the end it doesn't much matter to me. This was a cool end and all, but through its run the show specifically failed to cement a proper care for the characters. The worst being the case of Mozart and Sousuke which I feel like I actually despise, characters that I feel like poisons my entire opinion of the show, because the show makes me try and care about them and could not. Part of the joke was them being kind of terrible, but that incessantly grate on my nerves of two unlearning toddlers in the form of young adults. There are plenty of other characters, and for the most part I mostly do not dislike them and may actually like them, but despite that it feels like I still do not like how they were used.

Atmospheric, especially at the end, but I just don't like this show that boosted itself on jokes of classical music, with rules I don't think ever made sense in how they were set. At best I could pull out good episodes with something interesting, like the rap episode or shoebill love episode, but still I feel like this sense of mean nature that I don't feel properly alleviated. Bethoven which starts out kind of cool and funny, largely gets turned into running jokes that feel like the good delivery is wasted.

I give a rating of Not very good (4/10), but it was not a total waste of time.
Terrible90sDub

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:47 pm Reply with quote
It appears there's no season 2 discussion for this, so hopefully it's okay if I post this here.

Now that it has ended, I have to partially agree with the above (admittedly old) comment that some of the characters are insufferable, and as such I would skip over episodes if they were focused on a characters like Mozart or Sousuke.

... but, on the flip side, I feel like Schubert is one of the most underrated characters of recent years, thanks primarily due to the small number of people watching this. Any Schubert-based episode was usually fantastic, as they were the most hilarious and oddly thoughtful at times. Chopin, Liszt, and Dvorak-Hippo are pretty great as well. This will never be considered a masterpiece, but it's entertaining for what it is... and thankfully it is possible to skip some episodes without missing anything, lol.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 25

It is finally over! I am so happy this is over, because I do not want to watch any more, I am done with this franchise. Terrible90sDub actually did a good job of explaining some of my thoughts, even that Schubert was not actually a bad character, along with a couple others. But dang characters like Mozart and Sousuke, they ruin the entire thing, that it went from just feeling poisonous, to actual pain that I sat through because I had put so much time in already, that I could not just leave it undone.

New characters were not even really bad, it was a fresh part of this second season, but there is only so much that can make up for Mozart farting in someone's face. Do you know what kind of person farts in someone's face? An animal, who is worth entirely no respect, and a detriment for the show ever trying to give it.

I am rating season 2 as Bad (2/10). I am sure to most it is really not that bad, and there are good parts in it, but the entire experience is just something that has left me angry, and really wanted to stop watching at multiple times. That I did not like the first season, and thus not any better feelings about the second.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1