• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Poco's Udon World (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:05 pm Reply with quote

Poco's Udon World (TV)

Genres: slice of life
Themes:

Plot Summary: Tokyo-based web designer Sōta Tawara returns to his hometown of Kagawa for the holidays to find a strange child in his family's udon shop. The child can't speak but has both ears and a tail.
----------------------------------

Well, this was really cute. Poko is such an energetic kid, reminds me a bit of Tsugumi from Sweetness & Lightning.

Souta and Poka shares an interesting relationship so far, like a parent and son. The animation style has a bit of colorful palate to it, might have to get used to that. Otherwise, I think it was a decent start. The theme songs are well crafted.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Honestly I quite liked this. It was cute with tanuki kid (A tanukid?), which had me being a bit of a sucker for it. I also appreciated things like when Souta looks at a photo of his family from when he was young he comments that it has been 25 years since his mother passed away, which with him being 30 we could guess that he lost her not long after the photo, probably saying about how he might feel about it. We also see him flinch in pain from his leg when tanukid runs at one point, and then we can see him with a crutch during the flashback about him saying that he was leaving the town. A few interesting plot points that grabbed my interest.

Older men looking after young kids, seen it in Usagi Drop, Barakamon, Sweetness & Lightning, and lesser extent Kokkuri-san. I think that it is a sub-genre that I like.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:22 am Reply with quote
The OP reminds me of Antique Bakery. Makes me want pastries...

I think I could do without the Gaogao show at the end. They could use the time for the actual story.

I still keep thinking Poco's a girl too, so I'm with ya, Shinobu.
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
The OP reminds me of Antique Bakery. Makes me want pastries...

I think I could do without the Gaogao show at the end. They could use the time for the actual story.

I still keep thinking Poco's a girl too, so I'm with ya, Shinobu.

The Gaogao stuff seems to have *some* connection to the rest of the show, in addition to being an in-universe children's show. Whether or not it's just tangential, or actually meaningful remains to be seen. I don't think it detracts from the show itself, at any rate.

The slightly shorter run time makes the show feel a bit more...laid back somehow. It doesn't overstay it's story segment, if you get what I mean.

There's a lot of other shows that try to fill their whole runtime, and just end up either crowding out ideas by packing them in too tightly, making them feel bloated, busy, or rushes, or stretching points unnecessarily, leading to whole filler scenes that have absolutely nothing to do with anything.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm dropping ship on this after the 7th episode, and I keep wondering why myself. I mean, I didn't like 5/7ths of the episodes I watched, but why?

I can oversimplify it and just say that I honestly don't like Souta - he doesn't come off as someone actually struggling with anything with his laid back attitude given his job and expenses in general - and I don't find Poco cute - I think he acts more like a particularly not-cute dog than a real kid - but that still feels a bit shallow.

Maybe the parts where the show felt more like a commercial to Gao-Gao and some rural town left me sour on the whole thing? I enjoyed the first episode, and the episode where Souta's friend kept dunking on Poco (for... exactly that reason, now that I think about it. Don't judge me), but everything else apart from that felt either empty to me or I thought was outright bad.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:22 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

I swear that I just have something in my eyes. Okay, it was a sweet ending, all the love and family, and Poco giving his goodbye, even if the very end hinted that he could return. Well, this has been another addition of these father (figures) with a young kid, just Usagi Drop, Barakamon and Sweetness and Lightning. I actually think that Poco is a little less cuteness of the other, although maybe it is that he and the show is cute, but there is something else I can’t put my finger on.

At the least it did not feel like the show was being manipulative. So much of it was also just about Souta and the rellationships he had with his parents and others, or maybe fathers in general. I thought that the Gaogao chan bits were kind of intrusive, that although they had some relevance to the story they were more at place as actual level of child entertainment, with some payoff late in the season when we have info on its creators. Certainly cure though when the kids are getting involved.

For a rating, my instincts tell me a rating of Good (7/10), not a bad level in itself, but although the tanuki thing set it apart, it also creates a bit of a boundary that Poco is not a real human child, although him being a boy as opposed to the trend of girls does help a little. It is regardless still worth watching.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1