• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yuri!!! on Ice

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:37 pm Reply with quote
taurussieben wrote:
...the relationship is not really the main focus, but Yuuri is and the sport, and in the end thats what really makes it so great imho.

I have to disagree with that. As in all sports anime (and many other genres), it's the characters and their growth that is the main focus and the sport is merely the vehicle used to deliver that. In this case, I don't think their relationship can be separated from their character arcs (and that's what makes it so great to me).

Yuri has always been a very talented skater, whose lack of confidence always sabotaged him. But at the root of that is his unwillingness or inability to open himself up to others, both socially and sexually. That has impeded his development in this sport, a significant portion of which is judged on presentation. That's why Victor used the two Eros arrangements to push both Yuris out of their comfort zone, because both are lacking emotional openness in their performances, though for different reasons.

Victor, on the other hand, while apparently being a probably promiscuous social butterfly adored by all, has his own intimacy issues with forming attachments to people. Sure he's touchy-feely as hell, but that's all surface level. He's finally had to face that he doesn't know how to read people or what to do when they're in distress. Chris pointed it out as well in saying that it's not like Victor to come to someone else's rescue or protect them. Yuuri is helping him see that and break down his own barriers against making deeper connections.

I pondered for a long time over the meaning of Victor's little frown watching Yuuri's video, and now I think he was frowning because he saw Yuuri (in the privacy of his home rink) revealing an emotional content to Victor's program that Victor had been unable to bring to it. I think he came to coach him not only because he wanted to bring out his talent, but because he hoped he might gain something from Yuuri that he himself was lacking.

If their relationship was toned down or sidelined or friend-zoned, yes they'd still be skaters, but it would be a story about something else, about different characters with different issues. But as it stands, their relationship and how it fosters each character's growth is the story.

I was rewatching episode 6 (and enjoying the Maccachin and sushi plushies thrown onto the ice for Yuuri) and I still don't understand Yuuri's reaction after his skate. He blinks and squints at the scores like he doesn't believe them, and that I get, but otherwise he acts like he's either depressed or pissed off. When Victor asks if it felt great, he gives a stock answer with no enthusiasm, and he never smiles. Can someone explain why he was acting that way?
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I was rewatching episode 6 (and enjoying the Maccachin and sushi plushies thrown onto the ice for Yuuri) and I still don't understand Yuuri's reaction after his skate. He blinks and squints at the scores like he doesn't believe them, and that I get, but otherwise he acts like he's either depressed or pissed off. When Victor asks if it felt great, he gives a stock answer with no enthusiasm, and he never smiles. Can someone explain why he was acting that way?

His squint looked to me more like he wasn't wearing his glasses or any contacts and couldn't physically see his score. I laughed out loud at the point cause I look like that all the time and it was a nice little detail. Idk about the rest though.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:16 pm Reply with quote
lebrel wrote:
I can't believe the number of people who are all insisting there's no gay. Anybody who didn't see that Yuuri and Victor were an item even before this is five kinds of blind. -_-

On the other hand, anybody claiming that the depiction of their relationship is not BL-influenced is also five kinds of blind. Yes, it's not formally labeled as BL, but in the manga sphere there's a constant trickle of BL-type stuff that is published in shoujo or josei magazines and thus Technically Not BL, despite being indistinguishable from the stuff that does run in BL magazines (for example, Setona Mizuchiro's excellent Cornered Mouse series, which is 100% BL content with explicit sex even, but is Technically Josei).

YOI is the anime equivalent; it's not labeled as BL, but to all intents and purposes it is. You can see it in the character designs, the relationship dynamics, the visual tropes.... Yes, it has more non-romance plot than most BL, which is certainly connected to the fact that it is Technically Not BL and thus not relegated to the BL ghetto and its more restricted budget (No. 6 is another example of this effect). But the people cheering queer representation! are unfortunately celebrating too soon.
if you want to get technical shojo and josei aren't genres. genres describe content, demographics define which groups it's aimed at. shojo and josei can be any genre they want, the only thing actually defining what shojo and josei are is which age group of female readers/viewers their primary target audience is. so technically every single BL series out there is shojo or josei given one of the criteria for the genre is that it's by women and for a female audience.
lebrel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Weazul-chan wrote:
if you want to get technical shojo and josei aren't genres. genres describe content, demographics define which groups it's aimed at. shojo and josei can be any genre they want, the only thing actually defining what shojo and josei are is which age group of female readers/viewers their primary target audience is. so technically every single BL series out there is shojo or josei given one of the criteria for the genre is that it's by women and for a female audience.

True to an extent, but functionally BL is treated as a separate publishing category. Material officially published as BL is usually shelved separately from shoujo or josei, it's typically not elegible for shoujo/josei awards, and when shoujo or josei are referenced in an industry context (i.e., "shoujo magazines" or "sales of josei manga" etc.), it's not included. A BL-like story published in a shoujo magazine will be officially categorized as shoujo, which has knock-on effects for how it's treated by the industry and by retailers.

Also, there is no requirement that shoujo, josei or BL be by female authors, only that it be for female readers. There are occasional male authors in all three areas.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:01 am Reply with quote
lebrel wrote:
Weazul-chan wrote:

True to an extent, but functionally BL is treated as a separate publishing category. Material officially published as BL is usually shelved separately from shoujo or josei, it's typically not elegible for shoujo/josei awards, and when shoujo or josei are referenced in an industry context (i.e., "shoujo magazines" or "sales of josei manga" etc.), it's not included. A BL-like story published in a shoujo magazine will be officially categorized as shoujo, which has knock-on effects for how it's treated by the industry and by retailers.

Also, there is no requirement that shoujo, josei or BL be by female authors, only that it be for female readers. There are occasional male authors in all three areas.
I never tried to imply that shojo and josei had to be written by women. it is, however, almost(?) always the case that BL is written by women. it's kind of the nature of the beast, in that it's a female wish fulfillment genre that romanticizes what women want to see in a male/male relationship, so a woman would know what that was better than a man. it's kind of like how gei comi/bara is written by gay men for gay men because who knows better what a gay man wants to see in a manga involving a gay relationship than a gay man.
lebrel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:10 am Reply with quote
Weazul-chan wrote:
I never tried to imply that shojo and josei had to be written by women. it is, however, almost(?) always the case that BL is written by women. it's kind of the nature of the beast, in that it's a female wish fulfillment genre that romanticizes what women want to see in a male/male relationship, so a woman would know what that was better than a man. it's kind of like how gei comi/bara is written by gay men for gay men because who knows better what a gay man wants to see in a manga involving a gay relationship than a gay man.

As far as I can tell, the proportion of BL written by men is about the same as the proportion of shoujo/josei written by men (i.e., tiny but not zero). The proportion of gei comi written by women actually seems to be significant (although still low), according to some interviews I've seen. In either case, the selection criterion for authors is being able to create something that will appeal to the target audience. Male authors are perfectly capable of absorbing and recreating BL esthetics, it's that they usually aren't interested. There's actually an anthology, Dansh, of BL stories written by male authors (with no previous experience writing BL). Some go off in parodic directions, but a fair amount are perfectly competent BL romances.
gabuhaha

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:36 am Reply with quote
SereneChaos wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

His squint looked to me more like he wasn't wearing his glasses or any contacts and couldn't physically see his score. I laughed out loud at the point cause I look like that all the time and it was a nice little detail. Idk about the rest though.

Like SereneChaos said, I'm pretty sure Yuri was squinting because he couldn't actually see the board so he didn't know what he actually scored. I don't think he was depressed or pissed off. He looked to me more like he was still half caught up in his performance and it hadn't really set in yet what he had done. Before the scores were announced, his face was still flush and he was kind of staring off into the distance not really paying attention to Victor like you would if you weren't quite in the moment mentally.
Thebex

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
YOI is the anime equivalent; it's not labeled as BL, but to all intents and purposes it is. You can see it in the character designs, the relationship dynamics, the visual tropes....

While I agree that Yuri!!! on Ice is more BL/yaoi than a lot of its fans would care to admit, I think a lot of what you mention is subverted, or at least minimized, in YOI. While the character designs are certainly bishonen, they also seem relatively realistic and proportional (which most yaoi/BL character designs aren't). For example, Yuuri, even after his weight loss, is a lot more stocky and solidly built than most characters within the genre.

The big thing for me though is the way YOI subverts the BL/yaoi tropes you mention. Victor shows up at Yuuri's doorstep, and we all thought we knew exactly where their relationship was headed. Victor would be the aggressively sexual seme, guiding Yuuri's easily flustered uke through his sexual awakening. In almost any BL/yaoi story, this would have been the case. But instead, Yuuri and Victor's relationship has developed into something far more equal and realistic, one where both parties seem to be equally interested in one another. While a lot of their sexier interactions are certainly there for the benefit of the audience, they are never framed and intrusive or fetishistic.

While I think there is a good argument to be made about YOI's sometimes problematic straddling of subverting BL/yaoi tropes and embodying them in order to gain a wider audience, I think it's great that it's subverting any of those tropes at all. As someone who likes bishonen characters and BL/yaoi but finds their genre tropes to be deal breaking and problematic, YOI is a huge step in the right direction.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Can't say much since I'm working but spoiler[for the love of God don't kill the damn dog Studio MAPPA!!!]
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I don't think MAPPA will kill the dog. They're not David Production. Smile

Also let's say I'm not as charmed by JJ. Kinda want him to lose, preferably sooner than later.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:16 pm Reply with quote
From episode 8's review:
Quote:
Why yes, Jean-Jacques Leroy is voiced by Mamoru Miyano.

Because of course. I'm betting all the money in my pockets (which, admittedly, isn't a lot) that Vic Mignogna is voicing him in the Simuldub. Because of course. Wink
wolf10

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Since BL as a whole is generally ruled as "unrealistic," it seems like people are tempted to automatically dismiss anything that has ever happened in a BL-genre work as "unrealistic" without any sort of case-by-case analysis. There's a growing number of works out there that actively work to subvert or deconstruct the usual genre standards, or even address the existence of actual homosexuality, and when done well it ends up quite good. (Umibe no Etranger and it's quarterly-serialized sequel actually made accuracy a selling point.)

That said, I still don't see anything particularly alarming or unsavory about the portrayal of either Victor or Yuri, or their relationship. Is YOI taking advantage of an existing fanbase? Of course, but only because it would be crazy not to. What makes it different from "subtext" or "baiting" or whatever you want to call it is that at this point both parties involved know exactly what they're doing and no longer feel the need to deny it.
Songster01

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:50 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
Since BL as a whole is generally ruled as "unrealistic," it seems like people are tempted to automatically dismiss anything that has ever happened in a BL-genre work as "unrealistic" without any sort of case-by-case analysis. There's a growing number of works out there that actively work to subvert or deconstruct the usual genre standards, or even address the existence of actual homosexuality, and when done well it ends up quite good. (Umibe no Etranger and it's quarterly-serialized sequel actually made accuracy a selling point.)

That said, I still don't see anything particularly alarming or unsavory about the portrayal of either Victor or Yuri, or their relationship. Is YOI taking advantage of an existing fanbase? Of course, but only because it would be crazy not to. What makes it different from "subtext" or "baiting" or whatever you want to call it is that at this point both parties involved know exactly what they're doing and no longer feel the need to deny it.

Loving the thoughtful discussion of genres here! If I was going to describe the show to a friend, I'd say it is a character-driven sports anime with a slow-burn canon, incidental queer relationship between the main characters. By "incidental" I do not mean "unimportant", but rather that romance isn't the main focus of the show alone, that it is integrated into the confidence-growing/ice skating and coaching skills acquiring arcs of the two main characters.

Episode 8 was a terrific follow-up to the kiss, because it showed how much of a healthy romantic/sexual relationship they have developed already. They are so comfortable they don't have to communicate with words (that exchange of gazes after Viktor ties Yuuri's skate), Viktor can take care of and even reverently celebrate Yuuri (skate lace tying, kissing Yuuri's skate, which the announcer also notices), and they can make important self-sacrifices for each other (Yuuri who depends so much on Viktor telling him he needs to be with with his beloved Makkachin at M's hour of need; Viktor swallowing his pride to beg Yakov to coach Yuuri while he's gone). Yuuri's also accepting of Viktor's physical attentions without embarrassment and with enthusiasm and fondness. They are being treated like many other heterosexual couples: they don't have to carry cards saying "I'm straight" and discuss their heterosexuality with each other to "prove" it.

That said, I think there's a precedent for heart-to-hearts, so there could be at least one or two more conversations about what they mean to each other, given that there were at least two in ep-1-7 that I recall (ep4, ep7). We also have just come through the midpoint's euphoric climax (ep 7) and, as expected in three-act narrative structure, the intensity went down so that it can be built back up again to 1-2 more climaxes before the end. I'm going to hope that the people that brought us ep7 (and all that build-up) will continue to do a great job at handling Yuuri and Viktor's development as individuals and as a couple in the episodes to come. We'll have seen almost everyone's routines by the end of the next episode and we've met lost all the skaters, and I suspect there will be more room for character growth ahead.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:17 pm Reply with quote
My my, how quickly Victor changed the subject when asked if he wanted to compete against Yuuri. Twisted Evil

Poor Yurio was getting psyched out from every side. It's no wonder he missed that jump.

JJ seems too aggressive to be a Canadian. Very Happy Also, even though the rules were recently changed to allow songs with lyrics, I would think the stodgy old judges would not take kindly to his getting everyone to sing them, or the overt egotism on display, though I guess it didn't seem to hurt his score. Then again, a lot of what's been going on in this competition would probably spin the heads of a few rl judges. Twisted Evil

Fwiw, the subtitles showing the skaters names and rankings going in were out of order. 7, 8, and 9 should be Seung Gil Lee, Michelle Crispino, and Emil Nekola respectively.

I wonder why Yuri's grandfather didn't come? I love his old beater. It looks like it was at least inspired by the Ukranian ZAZ Zaporozhets 965 from the 60s. If there's an actual car that has the detailing right, I couldn't find it. (sorry, gearhead here)

Yeah, I don't see how they could kill off Maccachin. Yuuri's killed off one dog already, so they wouldn't dare make it two. But man, that's always how it goes when you're dogsitting someone's pet. Similar to Maccachin's antics, a co-worker was taking care of the boss's dog and it got into a full box of chocolates and ate them all. Chocolate and dogs don't mix, but at least it did survive.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Maccachin's the mascot...that's like killing off Pikachu, YOU DO NOT TOUCH THE MASCOT!

On the other hand? Yuuri buys Viktor a new puppy?

Eh...enough with the dog abuse, don't touch the pup. lol
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 29