• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yuri!!! on Ice

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:05 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
I don't think MAPPA will kill the dog. They're not David Production. Smile

Also let's say I'm not as charmed by JJ. Kinda want him to lose, preferably sooner than later.

(On phone; about to prepare for 7am shift at retail store therefore cannot stay up too late to elaborate thoughts)

I swear if Vic doesn't voice JJ in the dub, it will be one of the biggest miscast in Funimation history. Yeah, that maple syrup flavored tramp stamp moose pissed me off when he called Yurio a "lady" as though being feminine is a bad thing (yes I know there's controversy in the men's figure skating world but like I said, I'm about to sleep). Ballet ain't no joke and for Yurio to work his ass off to become a prima ballerina is awesome not deeming. I was so glad that Yuuri and Victor cheered him as he got into Apage mode!!! And YAS Yuuri!! Flaunt your man to all of Mother Russia!!

As for Makkachin, I REALLY hope you're right. Sayo had a high body count from Michiko to Hatchin so I'm preparing myself no matter what. Also, out of the new crowd the Korean stotic parrot was super cute while the (maybe?) incestuous Italians were.... interesting. JJ did have the strongest routine since he pulled off a move that not even Victor could do so I guess he earn his arrogance. I hope the two Yuri's can overcome this creep and make it to the Grand Prix Final next week along with the worrying Phichit!! Also, hopefully Yakov will spill some tea on our favourite mystery man!!
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:24 pm Reply with quote
^I don't remember Michiko to Hatchin having a high body count in that regard but I'll take your word on that. That could be skewed by my experience with Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, which is...less than kind to pets especially dogs. I'll leave the details out to spare faint of heart dog lovers but there are a number of graphic animal deaths. I won't say don't prepare for the possibility if you feel it necessary, but I don't really even see a good narrative reason for it. I hope they don't kill him either.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:40 pm Reply with quote
^Yeah, if I remember correctly about three to four named characters who reoccurring died in MH (great show IMO) and as a fellow JBA tan I recall the brutality that dogs face in that universe. For Christ sake spoiler[Dio straight up burns Jonathan's Dane in episode 2...in the first story arc!!!]

I tend to read the Reddit and MAL threads for YOi so other fans agree that, narratively, it would not make sense to have such a drastic turn off events. I mean, it would be f**Ked up if Makkachin died from eating the food offering from the dead puppy that Yuuri own to HONOR HIM in the first place !!! (O.e) that's some Shakespearen levels of dramatic irony!
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:44 am Reply with quote
At first i was rolling my eyes at the Makkachin drama for a bit (another dead dog, seriously?), but it makes perfect sense as pretty much the only situation where Yuuri would actively encourage Victor to leave him. It was also pretty touching to see Victor turning to Yakov for help. Next ep. should get interesting.

As for Yurio, he seems to put way more pressure on himself than others put on him? Wich might very well be connected to his family situation, so i'm hoping we'll find out more about that.

And i for one love JJ! I've always had a soft spot for the showy type with an attitude in sports anime, as long as they've got the skill to back it up which definitely seems to be the case here. "It's JJ style~!" Laughing
taurussieben

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:38 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
taurussieben wrote:
...the relationship is not really the main focus, but Yuuri is and the sport, and in the end thats what really makes it so great imho.

I have to disagree with that. As in all sports anime (and many other genres), it's the characters and their growth that is the main focus and the sport is merely the vehicle used to deliver that. In this case, I don't think their relationship can be separated from their character arcs (and that's what makes it so great to me)....
If their relationship was toned down or sidelined or friend-zoned, yes they'd still be skaters, but it would be a story about something else, about different characters with different issues. But as it stands, their relationship and how it fosters each character's growth is the story.

I understand your point, for me it's still more about Yuuri and the Ice and the relationship works as fuel for Yuuri to get his own skating finally to the next level. It can be seen in his whole posture, "makeup" etc. I do see it less about Viktor, but still he and Yurio also make progress in the character development. Smile

Quote:
I pondered for a long time over the meaning of Victor's little frown watching Yuuri's video, and now I think he was frowning because he saw Yuuri (in the privacy of his home rink) revealing an emotional content to Victor's program that Victor had been unable to bring to it. I think he came to coach him not only because he wanted to bring out his talent, but because he hoped he might gain something from Yuuri that he himself was lacking.

Possible fun fact someone on instagram pointed out: The video has no music. So, Yuurio makes the music literally with his body, as Viktor later tells him in the bath.

Beside that:

Even if they put many skaters in the episode, I love them. They are all so different from each other, without really hitting on all the stereotypes (imho). I still know how they skated, the costumes, and their antics. It's awesome.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:23 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I love his old beater. It looks like it was at least inspired by the Ukranian ZAZ Zaporozhets 965 from the 60s. If there's an actual car that has the detailing right, I couldn't find it. (sorry, gearhead here)

Someone else found it for me. It's a Moskvitch 444, which, as it happens, ended up being produced circa 1958 by ZAZ after some corporate shuffling, and ended up becoming the Zaporozhets 965. I was so close!

I also ran across this lengthy blog detailing translation errors and things that got lost in the subs. It's worth the read. We're apparently missing a lot of innuendo and nuances that makes Yuuri and Victor's relationship a lot less ambiguous than we've been led to believe by the subs. Smile

I don't know what this person's credentials are, so I'm curious if vonPeterhof (and any others here fluent in Japanese) agrees with their interpretations. They sound to me like they know what they're talking about, but what do I know? Nothing, that's what I know. Very Happy
taurussieben

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:30 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I also ran across this lengthy blog detailing translation errors and things that got lost in the subs. It's worth the read. We're apparently missing a lot of innuendo and nuances that makes Yuuri and Victor's relationship a lot less ambiguous than we've been led to believe by the subs. Smile

I don't know what this person's credentials are, so I'm curious if vonPeterhof (and any others here fluent in Japanese) agrees with their interpretations. They sound to me like they know what they're talking about, but what do I know? Nothing, that's what I know. Very Happy

The blog link is awesome. But for some translation I do get why CR did the translation that way, because it's shorter and therefore easier to read.

After the last few episodes there is always a discussion in reddit/r/anime going on, about the nuances. And while some may say they did wrong, I think they do okay in the overall tone and in matters of consistency. At least that is what I get from the ongoing discussion.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:35 am Reply with quote
Speaking of innuendos, did anyone catch the one in the preview when Yuuri said he'd give Victor "something round and golden" as a Christmas present? On the surface he's obviously talking about a gold medal, but note that in Japanese, "kintama" (lit. golden ball) means testicles. That's probably why Victor was all, "Wow~!"
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:52 am Reply with quote
Omfg Plushenko(real life Victor) just made a cameo in episode 9

And no the "something round and golden" thing is not a medal, but a wedding ring. Look at that Barcelona cathederal in the preview when Yuri was blushing

Last edited by iamtooawesome on Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
taurussieben

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:55 am Reply with quote
iamtooawesome wrote:

And no the "something round and golden" thing is not a medal, but a wedding ring. Look at that Barcelona cathederal in the preview when Yuri was blushing

You think it's a sign? Or did I miss something? Because I think the cathedral is there because the final is in Barcelona? And Pitchit is just sightseeing?
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:15 am Reply with quote
iamtooawesome wrote:

I missed that and you may be right, but nevertheless, that wasn't my point. I checked on Twitter and it looks like "kintama" came to mind to other viewers as well.
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:58 am Reply with quote
taurussieben wrote:
You think it's a sign? Or did I miss something? Because I think the cathedral is there because the final is in Barcelona? And Pitchit is just sightseeing?

Yes its a sign, there's something going on between Yuri and Victor during the church scene plus it might be about Yuri's bday gift(that blush yasXD) judging from the preview the grand prix will be held at Spain and they did mention that it's gonna be an extra episode, we're all gonna see them go sightseeing

Edit:
crosswithyou wrote:
I missed that and you may be right, but nevertheless, that wasn't my point. I checked on Twitter and it looks like "kintama" came to mind to other viewers as well.

yes that was just a fandom joke, I also saw the d*ck joke in twitter it became viral in Japan, in the west the wedding ring joke was lit
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Agree wholeheartedly with your list of re-watch. I would add Death Parade and The Eccentric Family.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:33 pm Reply with quote
How is JJ a jerk? He's skating to a music about how awesome he is... but he is awesome, he finish first twice in a row and is clearly the best skater there is. He's not modest sure, but he's clearly awesome, like he think he is.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

Very nice write up on this ep! The reunion scene was just amazing, with the classic running on opposite sides of the glass trope and all. Warmed the cockles of my heart, it did. Surely there aren't people left who still think they're just close friends, are there?

I think Emil's routine suffered quite a bit on the animation front. Seemed like a lot of missing inbeween frames and off-model work. But the rest were pretty good, animation-wise, and I really liked the routines, especially Michele's and Yurio's. The way they've made quads almost ordinary in this, I'm half expecting to see someone pull off a quint before we're done. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 29