• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Lostorage incited WIXOSS

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:03 am Reply with quote
I was wondering what opinions were of the Bookkeeper being very similar to Ulith. James wrote that he is not a fan of the “Predatory Homosexual stereotype" with him, but in general he seems to be quite similar to the female villain that created so much trouble earlier, which gives me the feeling of more than gay guy being predatory. It is more that he is a psychopath than orientation.
otagirl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:13 am Reply with quote
Bookeeper did give me some Ulith vibes, but his personality is more cat-like I think. He likes to toy around with people as long as it entertains him. Whereas Ulith is a full blown psychopath who specifically likes to watch people crumble. Lets see if he gets the villain treatment/ comeupance towards the end.

About the show itself, the narrative definitely feels tighter, more coherent, and gets straight to the point. So in that way its good. But all that is because the whole foundation and motifs have already been laid down. The execution is good, but as with a lot of fans I feel something is missing so far.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:57 am Reply with quote
Alternatively, Bookmaker could be a "mundane Maya", while not directly responsible for the game, he is overly intrigued by the Selectors and made it his personal mission to find a way to bind them all in there conflict.

Time will tell if he is simply an "macabre fan" for the strange death game like situation going on or if he is a much more sinister person.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:51 pm Reply with quote
otagirl wrote:
Bookeeper did give me some Ulith vibes, but his personality is more cat-like I think. He likes to toy around with people as long as it entertains him. Whereas Ulith is a full blown psychopath who specifically likes to watch people crumble.

But isn't that what he was doing to the guy, making him crumble? Taking pleasure in making him think that he was on his side and then making him lash out from feelings of uselessness. But this guy likely has a pool of people at his disposal to torture.
otagirl

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:16 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
otagirl wrote:
Bookeeper did give me some Ulith vibes, but his personality is more cat-like I think. He likes to toy around with people as long as it entertains him. Whereas Ulith is a full blown psychopath who specifically likes to watch people crumble.

But isn't that what he was doing to the guy, making him crumble? Taking pleasure in making him think that he was on his side and then making him lash out from feelings of uselessness. But this guy likely has a pool of people at his disposal to torture.

I suppose we'll have to see if he's really just a mean ****ard or if he's just playful and uncaring of the consequences. Its still early yet but I wouldnt rule him out as a sociopath.
GlassesMan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes I can't understand why I'm watching this show. I'm not watching Drifters or Yuri on Ice, which are lauded as some of the best of the fall(watching too many other anime), and I'm watching Wixoss, which is a painfully average series at best. I do enjoy it, it is just surprising that I do. I guess a person's tastes don't always line up with quality.
Not to say this show is terrible. The characters here exhibit far more personality than in the previous seasons, and now have more motivations to battle. But Chinatsu's reasoning behind ridding herself of her memories of Suzu makes little sense. She believes that she would have no pressure to overachieve without her memories of Suzu, but it is clear that without those memories, she'd have no mental strength to deal with her hardships. A scholarship, a new job, and a home for her family won't magically appear if she forgets about a childhood friend.
Aerodynamic41

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:28 am Reply with quote
Ok, I'm definitely not a fan of the blatant asspulls during Chinatsu and Suzuko's duel. How did Suzuko know she could lower her platform to dodge the attack? In fact, if the environment is actually destructible, why isn't this tactic used more often? And really, an outsider coming into vicinity can stop the duel? That came out of nowhere too.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:02 am Reply with quote
Aerodynamic41 wrote:
Ok, I'm definitely not a fan of the blatant asspulls during Chinatsu and Suzuko's duel. How did Suzuko know she could lower her platform to dodge the attack? In fact, if the environment is actually destructible, why isn't this tactic used more often? And really, an outsider coming into vicinity can stop the duel? That came out of nowhere too.

That last one has been in there since the first season. It didn't come out of nowhere
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Dodging the attack by dropping the platform was weird from a gameplay standpoint, but like the early Yu-gi-oh seasons, the WIXOSS anime has never bothered much with the actual game rules.

Quote:
We see Chinatsu seducing clueless Selectors into battle, and we also see her recruiting Rio into the Bookkeeper's schemes, but they're throwaway scenes at best.

I wouldn't call them throwaway. It's showing just how far Chinatsu has fallen. They're even framing it as her being a teenage prostitute. ("Wanna do it?")

Quote:
The scenes with the Bookkeeper had a certain level of charm, but his cryptic dialogue did nothing to clarify the nature of the Selector game or what his ultimate goals are.

Didn't Chinatsu basically spell it out? He just wants to enjoy watching people squirm.

Quote:
The flashbacks concerning Chinatsu and Suzuko's friendship were nice in those first few episodes, but my patience with them is running a little thin. They aren't revealing anything we don't already know about Chinatsu's current state of mind, nor are they doing a good job at explaining what led her to this point in the first place.

We learned a ton of new things this episode. Like the fact that it was Suzuko who was the outgoing one that befriended the withdrawn Chinatsu, not the other way around. And that Chinatsu only assumed the role of protector because she wanted to hog Suzuko for herself. So not only is living up to Suzuko's expectations a burden on Chinatsu, but it's Chinatsu herself that tied herself up in those chains.

Quote:
As some other viewers have also realized, Chinatsu's plan involves changing her entire life situation simply by erasing her memories of her former BFF, which doesn't make much sense.

She's not particularly trying to fix her family situation by forgetting Suzuko. She's trying to forget Suzuko so she won't be constantly compelled to live up to those expectations which is causing her all sorts of stress. Chinatsu's family won't be better off, but she will be. If she has no standard to live up to, then she'd wouldn't have to work so hard, be able to give up more easily, and accept going to a lesser collage.

It won't be that simple, of course, but that's the point of her conversation with Rio. Even if Rio forgets her mom's death it won't bring her mom back, and Chinatsu clearly sees the parallel with herself.
kgw

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Totally agree with Vaisaga.

Bookmaker is setting his own network of Selectors so he can enjoy watching them struggle and suffer. In fact, I am quite sure he set "loser guy" from #5 against Chinatsu because he knew she will win.
GlassesMan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Great points Vaisaga. I honestly didn't notice of the significance of some scenes that you noted. Unfortunately, I still believe that Chinatsu's motivation is still very myopic, as Suzuko will never be the only motivator in her life. Eventually something or someone will force her to regain her perseverance. Not to say her nearsightedness is necessarily bad, as having a character not completely realize consequences can play a part in their development( Chinatsu scene with Rio does justify that), but the writers are pushing the motivation of getting rid of Suzu so hard that it is becoming unrealistic. Emotionless determination falls in line with her character, but the writers seem to be grafting villainous mannerisms to her( seductive smiles, the hooker-esque lines) as well as making her willing to straight up erase Suzu's existence by taking her last coin. These things, especially the latter, don't really work for her character, as she is not that cruel, just desperate.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:56 pm Reply with quote
GlassesMan wrote:
as she is not that cruel, just desperate.

One can very well lead to the other, though. But yeah, it's just a matter of time before she realizes the error of her ways. The question is will she have that epiphany before she causes irreversible damage?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It plays out this week almost identically to how it went down last week

Not really. Before it was a simple matter of asking them first, and beating them if they refuse to compel them to sign. Here we first see her intentionally losing and then when the person tries to get out of it Chinatsu gets violent. Then we see her lie about letting herself lose. Those are both new lines she hadn't crossed before. It's showing her gradual progression though I can see how it can be too gradual for some people.

She considers the person Suzuko saw her as as not the real her. People have a habit of seeing things in extremes so she probably thinks "I'm not the good girl, so I must be the bad girl!" Her acting all 'evil' is more for the sake of convincing herself that she really is that way. That, or she's helping the Bookmaker out of necessity knowing she's doing a bad thing and to address that cognitive dissonance she pretends to be a bad person to justify doing bad things.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:39 am Reply with quote
I was under the impression that Hanna wanted to forget about her brother to escape the guilt so I was fairly surprised when she actually wanted to remember exactly what happened.

Quote:
Any references to previous WIXOSS events have been little more than winks and nods so far

I'd say the scenes with Kiyoi is a lot more than a wink and a nod. She was Akira's first LRIG for those who don't remember and it's clear she has an idea of what's going on.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I've said this before but damn, they do not want you playing this game. "There is no exit...Only an unending chain of hatred and pain" Shocked NOPE. No thank you. Get those damn cards out of here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3