• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: March comes in like a lion

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

Lotus root burdock? oO Sorry, CR, while lotus and burdock roots are often served together, they're different plants. Still, those bentos sounded delicious.

And colds don't lay you up for a week in bed too weak to move with a high fever. Since the doctor said it wasn't the flu, I guess it was either anime disease or the Japanese are uniquely susceptible to a respiratory disease that afflicts no other people.

All quibbling aside, they certainly nailed how it feels to be down with the flu. Very Happy Very nice episode.

I guess I can say I'm on my own. Smile
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Episode 11
nd colds don't lay you up for a week in bed too weak to move with a high fever. Since the doctor said it wasn't the flu, I guess it was either anime disease or the Japanese are uniquely susceptible to a respiratory disease that afflicts no other people.

not necesarily, an untreated cold, especially if you don't eat, can get pretty bad; hell I have tried to eat as properly as possible and just by not resting and spending al the time working have had simple colds last weeks (and that was common at my previous workplace).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:25 pm Reply with quote
^ I didn't say colds couldn't hang on, but if you've got a high fever that weakens you to the point where you can barely get out of bed, let alone go to work, it's flu. You can get a slight fever with colds, but not the high fever and chills he was suffering.

Episode 12

I liked the kotatsu metaphor. And Momo can certainly bring out the dawwwws. She's gotten really attached to him.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:31 pm Reply with quote
So we find out more about Evil Step-sister's "boyfriend." He's married (scandalous!) and a shogi player. Not surprised she's attracted to such a total douche-canoe. We still don't know why he beat up Rei yet, but I guess that's coming. Looking forward to their inevitable shogi battle.
chaccide

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:04 am Reply with quote
The opening breakfast sequence was a direct homage to a famous Japanese TV opening from the 70's with a guy getting ready for the day's battle that way every day. Same music, same everything.

I couldn't find the original, but here's someone else's homage to the same scene.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fSdna-QZy7M

The two halves don't tie together so well now, but they will next week upon completion. I thought it was riveting, but then I read ahead in the manga. I think they had too much to include to fit one episode so they split this in two and added some filler. I don't think it had anything to do with production schedules.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:49 pm Reply with quote
^ That's pretty funny. I felt like the animation in that sequence was deliberately janky, sort of like simulated time lapse. Somehow that made me more aware that he was on a tight schedule.

I also appreciated the little flourishes in the game, like straightening the pieces.

Was Rei really unaware that he was playing Nikaidou's brother? Why should that be a secret?
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:14 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Was Rei really unaware that he was playing Nikaidou's brother? Why should that be a secret?

He's not his real brother, more like a senpai and i didn't get the impression that it was supposed to be a secret.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:32 am Reply with quote
Ok. He just seemed more involved in his life than a typical senpai big brother, and it also seemed like he didn't want anyone to see Nickaidou there or something. The urgency of his "why are you here?!" seemed to have more behind it than just worrying about his health, but I guess I read all that into it.
mfojmep

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:21 pm Reply with quote
About the breakfast scene in episode 13:

See the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO2fvkJXKUg. It compares the scene from 3-Gatsu no Lion with the original one from the Japanese drama "Kizu darake no tenshi" ( 傷だらけの天使.).
Kreion

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:37 pm Reply with quote
'Overshadowed by the greater show it could have been'

...okay what does this even mean.

It's been pretty clear throughout the course of the review that Nick doesn't like the way the comedy and drama are balanced in 3-gatsu, which is fine I guess but that's the source material. This is an adaption of the source material, what you seem to be looking for is a show that doesn't exist and honestly a straight drama adaption of this series wouldn't be a good representation of what the series wants to convey.

It's not like I'm even saying the show is perfect, at all - for example the criticism of the visuals in this episode are on point and it would have been nice if they'd gone for something a bit different here. I like the visuals on the whole but the good doesn't cancel out the bad/questionable.

But it feels like at this point this 'review' has become a bit pointless because from the start it's felt like the reviewer has wanted the show to be something which it just isn't. Which is encapsulated in his last, kind of empty, post which feels like it should read 'Overshadowed by the show I wanted/expected it to be'.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:25 pm Reply with quote
@ Kreion - I agree with you 100%. One of Nick's biggest failures as a reviewer is a difficulty dealing with a show as it is as opposed to what he wants it to be. This can cut two ways. One way is what we are seeing here where Nick is not onboard with the show's humour and never was so every week (or at least any week in which the show indulges in its comedic side) we get to read how much it fails him. Love that gong. Rolling Eyes The other way it cuts is he sees something great in a show that just isn't there. Check out his rhapsodic episode reviews for The Perfect Insider. For most of its run he was in love, building a case for a show that I'm sure only he was seeing. He's a frustrating reviewer because at times he can be incredibly insightful and articulate, but other times... ugh.

This also points out one of the cons of a weekly episode review. When a reviewer gets in a tunnel like Nick does all we get is the same point over and over again - i.e. "the humour sucks!"
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:04 am Reply with quote
I'm usually not into "reviewer bashing" but i gotta agree with the previous commenters insofar that it would be nice to have a reviewer with a bit more...passion for the show.

I'm not expecting raving reviews with constant A ratings every week, but reading Nick's articles, i can almost physically feel the sense of dread he seems to experience while forcing himself to watch the show which makes me a bit sad since i'm still enjoying it a lot despite its flaws...
chaccide

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Wait a minute, this isn't Rei simply just being beaten in a match. This is a crushing blow to him showing him what an amateur he still is, so cocky and stupid, and how unworthy he is to be playing against the opponent he has. Did you somehow miss that? That's why he figures he needs to quit and to find a job, because It. Was. That. Bad.

This is in contrast to the defeat we witnessed last week by someone who, while they lost, was clearly an adult and professional about it. And not only did this defeat confound Rei, it confounded those watching the show who assumed he'd have his showdown, ignoring the opponent between because this is manga, right? But no, this is what happens in real matches when you're in a tournament and forget your opponent is the one in front of you.

This was a wonderful couple of episodes of an excellent match.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:49 am Reply with quote
I don't think this show can do tone at all - yeah we needed a scene with Smith kissing his cat right then that sure fit the mood -, but episode 14 had plenty of highs for me that Nick considered to be downs, apparently. Rei's match against Shimada was great.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:57 am Reply with quote
Actually, this show does tonal shifts very well. But yeah, if you are the type of person who only likes one tone in a show or episode then I suppose it sucks for you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 19