• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: March comes in like a lion

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:47 pm Reply with quote
According to the manga, how much it´s missing to come to the end of the series? Or is it going to be 24 episodes?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:05 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:
According to the manga, how much it´s missing to come to the end of the series? Or is it going to be 24 episodes?

The anime's going to be 22 episodes. The manga has over 100 chapters and is on-going, so we'll definitely not get a full adaptation, at least not right now.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
“if things feel hopeless, rely on someone. Otherwise, to be honest, no one will rely on you.”

Nice sentiment, but I have not found it to be true. Quite the opposite. Probably just me.

It's amazing how they can spend so much time on the shogi technical talk without losing me, even though I have no idea what they're on about. They still make it interesting, and that's a miracle. Smile They even got me interested enough in the duck to look it up (I think it's a Japanese murrelet, a kind of auk, and they can dive for a couple of minutes, but it probably came up 100 feet away from where it went under).

And Hayashida-sensei is a treat every week. He's hysterical when he's hysterical.

I hope Shimada isn't really sick and is just too tired to put up with their crazy infighting. Smile He's looked like he's about to keel over since his first appearance though...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Need more scenes with the sisters. And less with the After Burners.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:27 am Reply with quote
Sensei pointing out all the regular things that Rei has done to succeed, it was really touching. I had heard that often one of biggest things to do for someone who is depressed is to remind them that every little way they look after themselves and pick themselves up is an accomplishment, that they are just not seeing their successes. Just getting out of bed is a success, and that is no more clear than the times Rei did not or could not when he was at his worst. And his actions in connecting with more people, going to workshops, and being a little less down on himself, are successes. But totally want him to be with the sisters more, and hopefully Akari will make a move.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:57 am Reply with quote
I've quickly become a fan of Shimada myself. MikiShin is just so on point as him.

Quote:
Shouya

Should be "Souya." Wink
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:47 am Reply with quote
Agreed. I already liked Shimada in the manga but MikiShin really makes him shine (plus, i can very much relate to his stomach problems...).

I'm not really surprised that Nick didn't mention it, but i really liked the humour in this ep. as well. The chairman was hilarious in his complete and utter insensitivity ("why don't you get a new stromach already?") and Smith-san's "love troubles" were also pretty funny.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:21 am Reply with quote
I thought that it was great that there was Rei in the seat of the one caring this time, that maybe he has got a little look that as amazing you think someone is, even they can be wrecked by something like stomach pains, which felt like it was part of his nerves. That there was nothing sad about Shimada getting some help/aid in Rei.

And chairman is kind of great, his blunt ragging I think is actually something to credit, maybe him just coming out and saying things is not trying to tiptoe like Shimada is too weak to have it said to his face. Like the first step to kind of take life a bit easier is maybe laugh a bit, that he also seems a man who sees these experts who have their downsides with other parts of his lives, like the stomach pains or being reliant on a grandmother who is hard of hearing, but does not actually judge. Smith did some nice ragging too when he made the statement of expecting some alone time when Rei came, but it was really a joke, Smith was clearly totally fine with Rei, just as Rei was fine with helping Shimada. The kitten though.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But just like how learning you're not the best as an adolescent is a necessary growing experience, so too is accepting that you'll never be the best, and that your efforts are still valuable in spite of that.

I got the acceptance part down a long time ago, but never really worked out that last part. Smile

Well, now we know why Shimada has looked like he was about to keel over this whole time. The kind of pain he's in indicates a problem that could be lethal if he doesn't do something about it. I hope he survives this.

I really liked the music in this episode. That guitar when they arrived in Kyoto made me expect Johnny Cash to start singing any minute.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:28 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Well, now we know why Shimada has looked like he was about to keel over this whole time. The kind of pain he's in indicates a problem that could be lethal if he doesn't do something about it. I hope he survives this.

There are plenty of stomach/intestinal-related diseases which can be very painful but are rarely lethal (trust me, i know what i'm talking about...). He's already seeing a doctor and taking medication, so it's probably something like ulcers or general stress-related pain. If anyone is to die in this series, it's more likely Nikaidou. From what we've seen, his illness seems to be pretty serious and puts him in the hospital quite regularly (i hope that's not going to happen any time soon of course since he's one of my faves...).
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:06 am Reply with quote
Dat Tetsuo Hara end card.
鳳凰の王

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Anyone understand Shougi here? I know the exact game is just a plot device, but it bothers me that the show just assumes the consequences of every move are obvious, when in fact they are anything but.

For example, the position on Episode 20 at 19:00 of the Crunchroll stream. Why is this position game winning/saving (which one isn't even implied) for Shimada? As far as I can see, Souya is one move (Bxa2) from checkmate, and Shimada doesn't have any immediate mating threats that I can see.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I have to say, I'm still a little perplexed by - I guess we'll have to call it the Shimada arc. I know the anime is based on a manga and I have no idea how far the manga has gotten, but what it looks like, given there are only two episodes left, is that we were watching a show about a gifted, teenaged shogi player suffering from depression and with a complicated family life and now we seem to have drifted a little off that line. Yes, by all means, let me ponder the sadness of the fact that Shima-- AW, WHO GIVES A FLYING EFF??? Obviously, Rei has factored into Shimada's story, but the fact I can even refer to it as "Shimada's story" is weird. The story defied my expectations by not having Rei have any sort of climatic shogi battle with Goto and then defied it again by having Shimada lose in 4 straight. So, okay, fine, I give the show 10 out of 10 for defying expectations, but then deduct several million points for a lack of catharsis (apologies to Life, the Universe and Everything).

Hey, stupid, dumb, turd show ... any chance that in the scant two episodes left you could spare a little attention to the only thing I really care about anymore: the sisters and their cats?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:06 pm Reply with quote
^The manga is ongoing and even if it weren't, we're one third the way through what has been released so far (The last episode finished up Volume 4 out of 12 if I'm not mistaken).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:16 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the info, zmzle500. See, it be easier to take the Shimada arc if I knew we were going to get all the manga adapted, but for all we know, this 22-episode is it. So having something like the Shimada arc be (pretty much) the capstone of the anime really warps the structure, imo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 19