• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: ClassicaLoid

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Episode 15

I kinda liked his song. He was a bit off-key, but it was tuneful enough. Interesting that even Bach was affected, when he's proven immune to the "real" Musik. I guess I'm just glad he wasn't completely the butt of the joke this time. That's gotten kinda mean-spirited by being so relentless.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I caught up this week!

Episode 16 was great. This show never ceases to make me laugh. I agree about why Mozart and Beethoven make such good friends. Their interactions are a highlight of the show for me. But poor Schubert. That guy can't catch a break.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Liszt could've paid everyone's debts for what those marble or granite blocks she trashed must've cost.
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Liszt could've paid everyone's debts for what those marble or granite blocks she trashed must've cost.

Now that you mention it, I'm guessing Bach never cut off her funding. Laughing
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Episode 17:

From the review:
Quote:
[Mozart] insists on frying mandarins, but he didn't eat one himself, so other people have to “suffer” for his impulsiveness.

It was Sosuke's idea for the fried oranges, Mozart was the one who knew where to get some.

As for the Musik not really doing anything. I can't help but remember what Bach said in episode 12 how Beethoven and Mozart are too free with their Musik. Mozart was more concerned he remembered something as opposed to actually doing anything of significance.

But most importantly, no mention of the Thriller reference during this episode's Musik?
Octonian
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Of course, it's still curious that he'd come strolling right back after he's been in hiding for years.

It's also curious that he would just happen to wander into the room where Sousuke was being held and free him...

Maybe I'm overthinking this, but the scene where Dr. Otowa evades capture in Africa shows that he's not only academically brilliant but also clever and resourceful. I think he's playing the fool to keep people off balance.
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Episode 18

From the review:
Quote:
Mitsuru broadly outlines Bach's plans: to build the ultimate musical instrument, which will have some ability over the Classicaloids. However, his main aim is to create something that goes beyond them. This makes sense when we learn more about what brought everyone here. Mitsuru studied with Dr. Otowa once upon a time, and she remembers how he described his magnum opus. His "ultimate musical instrument" had to be humans, because all music originally comes from humans. Perhaps because Bach is technically non-human, he rejects this, asserting that the future of music belongs to machines. Or perhaps his creation will be somehow even more "human" than the Classicaloids—but the way Mitsuru describes it, it sounds more like Option A.

I never got the impression that Bach was planning on using machines. He's building an instrument (can't remember the name off hand) that uses 8 Sounds. There are 8 Classicaloids. Mitsuru is the one whose idea it was to use robots.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this episode. I love that even thought Bach is usually so dignified, he can be a huge dork.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:27 pm Reply with quote
"Like Princess Tutu..."

That's one way to get my attention. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:55 pm Reply with quote

That was fun, even though I'm not much of a fan of Claskey Klasky episodes (they're too grating). BeethoKan was very interesting, and pomped-out Schubert running off with Chopin on his "Hooda" was hilarious, especially after the puppy in the rain bit. Of course I enjoyed Sakurai guesting as Rothbart, Hasshie's evil voice. However, I don't know who Rothbart is a reference to.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Episode 19 was one of the best episodes yet. This episode put a smile on my face and it never went away throughout the entirety of it. The situations were absurd and hilarious, especially Schubert's delinquent moment.

Gotta love Tchaiko too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:25 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
However, I don't know who Rothbart is a reference to.
The bad guy from Swan Lake.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:40 am Reply with quote
Ah, that makes sense. I don't really know much about Swan Lake other than recognizing a couple songs from it. Smile
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:54 am Reply with quote
Off-topic, but...
Quote:
Anime has seen big strides in LGBT representation in the past year

You mean "we're not showing them kiss" ("and when asked we won't say it was a kiss but instead tell them 'it's what you want it to be'"), "we won't use the 'l' word", "we won't let them openly talk about their relationship, only in skating terms", "they're going to deny being engaged even just symbolically, even though homosexuality is not supposed to be a big deal in their world", etc...

I really don't understand why people keep praising Yuri on Ice as some huge step ahead in LGBTQ representation. It kept relying on subtext and shied away from textually confirming anything - it was like garden variety BL except unlike BL it didn't openly acknowledge that there was actual homosexuality involved. (Not to mention there are other, non-BL anime which didn't shy away from showing male main characters kissing or making out - see No.6, Shinsekai Yori...)
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Episode 19 is in my top 3 episodes for the series. It was funny and sweet, plus we got Takahiro Sakurai as Hasshie. The only complaint I had about the episode is that spoiler[we don't get to see a human form for Hasshie.]
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I generally don't quite enjoy KlaCla episodes but this one was so wild! I particularly loved how Chopin and Schubert hooked up and although everything was a big joke, the joke was never "lol but why are two guys...". Of course, Tchaikovksy and Bada-chan taking a leap of faith holding hands and setting off into the sunset in a romantic swan boat was adorable, and even if they never touch on the subject again, I'm happy we're able to get this kind of stories in anime more and more.

SHD wrote:
"we won't use the 'l' word"

Theydidn't use which word exactly, come again?

Quote:
"we won't let them openly talk about their relationship, only in skating terms"

"ambiguously and platonically skating together to a song about two lovers finding each other and staying together forever is the best way to show how good friends and nothing more than friends they are" is what you're saying, I take?
I also find it very moronic to dismiss an artform as a legitimate way to convey your feelings, but anything flies with you people, doesn't it?

Quote:

"they're going to deny being engaged even just symbolically, even though homosexuality is not supposed to be a big deal in their world"

Sure mate

The grasping at straws while simultaneously ignoring everything that was explicit about the series will never cease to amuse me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4