• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Is Japan's Population Declining?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:22 pm Reply with quote
NGK wrote:

Do you even follow up on current events?

By the same token do you keep up to date with recent or past events?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Hook_Elementary_School_shooting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Tech_shooting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahoma_City_bombing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hinckley_Jr.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_shooting_of_Dallas_police_officers

https://prochoice.org/education-and-advocacy/violence/violence-statistics-and-history/

As I more or less just said acts of terrorism committed here and abroad isn't exclusive to any one group. I also like how you conveniently got rid of some of what I originally said for no reason. If you want to cite things like the San Bernandino or The Pulse Nightclub Massacre I won't stop you but the reality of the situation is that we had a tons of terrorist incidents that have occurred over a number of decades. This isn't something that came into style 15 years ago.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:16 pm; edited 5 times in total
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Mongolia has an even bigger problem with low birth rates. In a country smaller than Alaska*, it has only about 3,081,677 people. In comparison, my home city of Phoenix has 1,563,025 people. That is, if you doubled Phoenix's population, that would be more than Mongolia's.

*If you combine this country with the state of Georgia, then it would be slightly bigger than Alaska).
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
I recall there being numerous op-ed articles on the interrelations between birthrates, the popularity of the internet as a social avenue and the global decline in wealth amongst younger generations. Not that I am in a position to make assertions on the matter, but the circles I frequent certainly consist of very few people with the wherewithal or intent to produce their own heirs.

Hmm, that makes sense. I was actually wondering about the social forces that would motivate people to have lots of children that have become diminished or even absert today that were still plentiful even ten years ago, but I never thought about new forces that would counteract them.

I would've assumed that lower income would lead to more children, under the idea I brought up prior that more children = more support once you grow old, and more children = higher chance at least one survives. Maybe that's the case in Africa right now, the one part of the world where conditions are so miserable people are still merely trying to survive.

Polycell wrote:
Urm... I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Muslims are committing terrorism at record high - and increasing - rates. And, to cut you off at the pass, it doesn't matter a damn whether they're anointed as "real" Muslims by the Progressive Society of Muslim Certification: they're still acting in the name of Allah. Refusing the acknowledge that this is jihad rather than random terrorism does nothing to stop it.

Those are the extremists though, and they make up a tiny minority of all Muslims. The dangerous assumption is to stereotype Muslims, as well as people who look like Muslims but are not, as dangerous and thus to be feared and not trusted.

We hear a lot about when these Islam extremists attack places like Orlando, Brussels, or Nice, but the reality is that the extremists' most frequent targets are more moderate Muslims. Whatever damage and deaths they do to the west is absolutely dwarfed by the damage and deaths they commit in their own countries. Boko Haram, for instance, has stayed strictly within predominantly Muslim areas with an ideology that their version of Islam is the only correct one and that all others are to be wiped out. The extremists' targeting other Muslims is also why you have that mass migration from Syria and other countries to Europe in the first place: They're trying to not get killed by these crazies.

Kadmos1 wrote:
Mongolia has an even bigger problem with low birth rates. In a country smaller than Alaska*, it has only about 3,081,677 people. In comparison, my home city of Phoenix has 1,563,025 people. That is, if you doubled Phoenix's population, that would be more than Mongolia's.

*If you combine this country with the state of Georgia, then it would be slightly bigger than Alaska).

Mongolia is a country whose population is difficult to count, however, due to the huge number of nomads. Ulaanbaatar is the only major city in the country, and most Mongolians who choose to stay in one place live there.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:47 pm Reply with quote
So otaku delights are to blame?

Aren't the 200,000 otaku too few in number (according to Sevakis) to impact on the country's total population growth? Rolling Eyes

Anyway, I think that this is the trend for the world from this point on: people don't have any reason to have kids because they have the social security system to support them in their old age (before that was the main reason for people to have kids: support in their old age).

In the US population is not declining thanks to the immigrants, who are mostly Latinos Trump wants to keep out. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NGK

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:24 am Reply with quote
Finally found this clip

From Japanese themselves.

Uploaded just 2 weeks ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W0tYeK_kkA
Dextres

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:42 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:

Aren't the 200,000 otaku too few in number (according to Sevakis) to impact on the country's total population growth? Rolling Eyes

Anyway, I think that this is the trend for the world from this point on: people don't have any reason to have kids because they have the social security system to support them in their old age (before that was the main reason for people to have kids: support in their old age).

In the US population is not declining thanks to the immigrants, who are mostly Latinos Trump wants to keep out. Rolling Eyes

Check this latest news on the final presidential debate on that very matter.

source: http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-won’t-commit-to-accepting-election-results-if-he-loses/ar-AAj9lq9?li=BBnb7Kz
Rokk3000

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:51 am Reply with quote
Mashiro-iro Symphony dealt with a private school and a girls' private school merging because neither had enough students to keep going alone. From my thinking, it would have made sense for the first private school to be kept open because it already had facilities for both both and girls, but there may been been unexplained reasons why the girls' school was chosen to remain open, such as location. I know I've seen a few other anime series that at least hinted at declining population, and plenty that dealt with it from the angle of adults 20-30ish finding it harder to find a suitable mate.

With most Japanese people being relatively resistant to increased immigration, things don't look too good for them economically or socially. I don't know if it would work with their culture, but perhaps a generous form of family allowance: tax credits etc for people who have children, and perhaps marriage allowances to encourage marriages for those 40 or under, and subsidized marriage counselling to help young couples to overcome differences. I wonder if they have tried any of those.
Aphasial
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:09 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:

To blame? No. A symptom of? Certainly. One could sum this up very easily as: People who aren't living in the real world.

Jose Cruz wrote:

Well, yes. The point of socializing something is to average it out; a person who doesn't have children is having the interest (the delta between what their own contribution was to their retirement was and what they end up receiving over time) paid out by others.

Look, not everyone can be a marginal consumer and not everyone can be a free rider who's counting on others to have the kids that end up supporting them via taxes as a substitute for the children that they themselves didn't have.

This is indeed the crux of the problem. An individual person who has a waifu UNIRONICALLY, never has a kid, relies on social services, and gets their retirement paid for with somebody else's money, is a drop in the bucket for a national government.

When large numbers of citizens do that, the system breaks down. And something that can't go on forever, won't.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:28 am Reply with quote
The thread topic is Japanese population decline. I think we've gone off topic enough. I will be desisting so I expect others to also.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:51 am Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:

.......Anyway, I think that this is the trend for the world from this point on: people don't have any reason to have kids because they have the social security system to support them in their old age (before that was the main reason for people to have kids: support in their old age).
Ahhh! So that's why we had offspring! And there I was thinking it was to carry on our genes. But wait! The MPs have given all the money to their friends in the banks to keep them in the life style they're accustomed to so there's hardly anything left in my pension? Oh well so much for that plan. Better find another job so I can work until I either drop dead, or became a care burden on my two to get some back for when they were a care burden. We come into this world having to be spoon fed, bathed, and nappy changed, and it seems most of us what live beyond our usefulness go out the same way. Enjoy life. Laughing
Paiprince

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:07 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
Paiprince wrote:
Another victim of the "multicultural" cool-aid and the mantra that Japan is some "inbred cesspool" when it clearly isn't. Guess your endgame goal is to have the whole country have minarets and the entire population to look as mongrel as possible. Like good ol' Deutschland.

I bet you wouldn't say the same if Japan tried to push their ways and culture to others because, ya know, they so self-destructive and all that. Everyone else, though, is the magic ticket to Japan's redevelopment and they should take it as if foreigners were god's gift to them.

Suuure, "mongrels" like me, being of heavily mixed ethnic and cultural descent, as well as having lived in different parts of the world, why that's gotta' be "multicultural cool-aid". Laughing No way that there could be anything remotely positive about different peoples coming together and sharing in each others culture. Rolling Eyes

The truth is, whether Japan likes it or not, their culture is going to change. This is true for pretty much any culture anywhere in the world. That's not to say Japan's change needs to happen via multiculturalism, since I was just speaking in support of it in a more general sense. But regardless of how that change happens, in order for Japan to survive as a nation, they'll need to make some adjustments.

Well your background is obvious enough why you're so supportive of this. I shouldn't even question it.

Here's the thing. Multiculturalism "in the general sense" does not work for Japan. It's not a one size fits all. The adjustments you speak of will most likely not to be your liking either. They will be strict. They will be selective. And there will be discriminatory. That's how they manage to stay afloat and they will continue to do so in the future.

And defending potential timebombs while criticizing a society that has proven to have behaved itself in recent history. Why is this double standard the mainstream thinking?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:41 am Reply with quote
So in short at 11 pages it seems the reason for the decline in proper Japanese being born is too much stress due to school, job, finance and/or the economy, and [insert any other socially disabling influence here] causing extremely too little shagging between concenting males and females and/or infertility, or ED. I'll just get my coat. Arrow
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:50 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
. They all either flopped worldwide (Dimension W, Heroman), or the anime that was more popular overseas was unintentional (Samurai Pizza Cats, Kinnikuman).

I can't argue for the other shows but Heroman was never brought over to the US through any means besides Crunchyroll. Disney stopped it from getting dubbed over here despite the fact that both Stan Lee and Studio Bones wanted it to be sold outside of Asia. It's possibly one of the most American Anime of all time and it only has dub that can be heard in Malasyia (which might be terrible, the more that I think about it). So I disagree that Heroman flopped worldwide because it was never given a chance to be embraced by audiences outside of Asia (with the exception of the subs on Crunchyroll). In my opinion, Heroman would have been way more successful if was on American television as that seemed to be the goal that Stan Lee saw for the original project.

Sorry about the off topic post, I honestly think things will only get worse for Japan if they keep the current course. I share the opinions of the posters advocating for immigration as it will in the long haul benefit expanding Japan's population growth. If Japan did allow for a more open immigration policy, it would come with a couple of problems that would take years to resolve. Problems like several Japanese citizens believing that there culture is being threatened. Escalated discrimination against the new immigrants could be another problem. But in the end, I think Japan would be better off as a more inclusive country. Then again, I have never been to Japan, nor do I have any right to change their country as a cultural outsider.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:28 pm Reply with quote
My country faced that problem too but we opened our borders like never before and look at us now...
Well, someone has to pay my pension one day, might as well be 2nd to 3rd generation immigrants, and i ain´t german either. The steady flow of refugees also reinvigorated my job as a librarian.
Good luck solving this mess Japan, as you arguably can´t. Not my problem anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Just popped back to leave this latest article that I discovered.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12