• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Licensing statues of the "Manga Entertainment Collection"

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:11 pm Reply with quote
So, questions, who owns the rights to the overwhelming majority of the 80's and 90's OVA released in bastardised forms (mostly, sub-less at the very least) by Manga Entertainment in the UK in the early 00's?

Though these titles I know are drenched in dogma due to the general consensus they're over all where not very good I largely disagree, finding a great deal of enjoyment in Bubblegum Crash, Landlock, Violence Jack, Adventures with Iczer 3*, New Gall Force and the under rated mecha gem of the 80's, DANGAIOH!

Honestly, if Anime ltd or Manga Ent. have no interest in releasing them here even on DVD, at least some cult movie labels like Arrow Video or 88 Films could make in roads to aquiring the licenses? Maybe? Am I alone in wanting to see these titles rereleased?

*And while we're at it, lets get Fight! Iczer 1 debuted in the UK already!
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:16 pm Reply with quote
The rights to most if not all of those named titles will have reverted back to Japan long ago. Any "older" licenses that are still active will be held by Manga US/Anchor Bay/Starz in the US (the likes of Akira and Ghost in the Shell etc.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:37 am Reply with quote
One would hope then that it's only a matter of time before one label or another licenses a handful to test the waters.

As you say, more not worthy titles of the vintage from Akira through to Patlabor have been kept in print and in HD, so hopefully we'll see the likes of Gunbuster and Gall Force in UK BD sometime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1