• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dragon Ball Super

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:02 am Reply with quote
Personally I found the way the Grand Priest stopped the fight to be a little strange. Yes he had legit good reasons to do so but it was how the camera lingered on him a bit and his expression that tipped me off
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:17 am Reply with quote
When Goku talked about going beyond his limit, that's when the Grand Priest stopped the fight. At the very least, this exhibition has driven home to all competitors that they'll have to give it their all if they want to win in the upcoming tournament.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:44 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
Ep 82,

So, the tournament is in 40 hours, but are there seriously no fighters in the universe that either the supreme kai or beerus know of that are stronger than krillin, master roshi and tien? No wonder universe 7 is at the bottom of the barrel. At least Yamcha won't make it onto the team, if that happened universe 7 deserves to get destroyed hehe.

As King Kai once said, it's not always the strongest fighter who wins.

I agree with the episode 82 review 100%.

Also, given the short time limit and the power gap I think we're gonna see some last minute Hyperbolic Time Chamber shenanigans. They can squeeze out a day; 24 hours which would equal a solid year of training.

Lastly, spoiler[no one mentioning Warp Kamehameha? Really?] That was fangasm worthy and got me jumping out of my seat.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:27 am Reply with quote
ep 83,

Seriously, what kind of technique did Whis use? instant transmission cesarean section? Was that technique meant for some other purpose or did someone actually invent a way to bypass giving birth?

Well, I do like how this episode addressed at least some of my issues with the lineup. Trunks and Goten not having enough experience in actual fighting to be decent fighters even if they do have raw power, and apparently all the kai's are a bunch of slackers as they haven't been paying attention to any of the 28 other planets around. Would have been nice to get at least 1 other fighter from another region of the universe.

Best part is how no one bothers asking Yamcha to join the team, I wonder if Toriyama is a fan of DBZ abridged, he's certainly made a bunch of jokes ripping on Yamcha in Super.
Marimo0

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:10 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
Would have been nice to get at least 1 other fighter from another region of the universe.

I think something that this arc is trying to do is to help give focus on more of the older cast that haven't gotten to do much. An alien would just take away a spot that could be given to one of the characters we already know.

Plus they already have the 80 fighters, plus all the new angels, gods of deconstructions, and supreme kais to design and write. Introducing a new character as part of universe 7's team is going to require extra attention given to that character and possibly cause expectations that they'd become a recurring character in future events, lest that new character raises the question of why they were introduced and took a spot away from someone else and possibly just becomes like Monaka and is a throwaway character.

Overall, despite some people wanting this, I can't see the actual execution of including a new character on universe 7's team ending up as well as they seem to expect

#844391 wrote:

Best part is how no one bothers asking Yamcha to join the team, I wonder if Toriyama is a fan of DBZ abridged, he's certainly made a bunch of jokes ripping on Yamcha in Super.

He doesn't write the entire scripts. He helps outlining the story, but smaller details like the joke about Yamcha could've been made up by the actual script writers. And making fun of Yamcha isn't exclusive to DBZ abridged, since there's also the whole meme about Yamcha's death pose which became popular independently of the abridged series, particularly in Japan.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:36 pm Reply with quote
It'll be a long way before they get there, but I'm wondering if Super's dub will say Bra instead of Bulla. I mean, they've been calling Hercule Mr. Satan, so hopefully. Confused
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If family man Vegeta makes your heart flutter (and I know it does for some)

Like ME! But I love me some Vegeta anyway I can get him Laughing

I know a lot people have been annoyed that there is only 28 planets in Universe 7 that can host life but meh.

And we all know the fighting line up is to get some of the older characters some limelight. I personally wouldn't be a big fan of they roped in someone completely brand new at this point. Especially with the battle royal style, I doubt there would be time for any character development.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:01 pm Reply with quote
before we knew the cast, I was expcting this to be uub's debut.
Marimo0

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
It'll be a long way before they get there, but I'm wondering if Super's dub will say Bra instead of Bulla. I mean, they've been calling Hercule Mr. Satan, so hopefully. Confused

The thing is, the Bra/Bulla thing isn't just censorship where they replaced her name with something unrelated, it also has to do with how it's pronounced. Listening to the Japanese dub it's still pronounced Bulla or Bura, even though it's meant to be Bra. Using Bulla is at least partly due to how the name can be romanized that way, just like Bulma is still used instead of Bloomers, Krillin is still used instead of Kuririn, and Kakarrot is still used instead of Kakarotto (even despite the former not working with the fusion name of Vegito).
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Marimo0 wrote:
Animechic420 wrote:

The thing is, the Bra/Bulla thing isn't just censorship where they replaced her name with something unrelated, it also has to do with how it's pronounced. Listening to the Japanese dub it's still pronounced Bulla or Bura, even though it's meant to be Bra. Using Bulla is at least partly due to how the name can be romanized that way, just like Bulma is still used instead of Bloomers, Krillin is still used instead of Kuririn, and Kakarrot is still used instead of Kakarotto (even despite the former not working with the fusion name of Vegito).

.....so you're saying there's a chance! Laughing
GhostD

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
.....so you're saying there's a chance! Laughing

I think theyre going to keep it at Bulla seeing as theyve called her that at the end of Z and during GT
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:

The dub has really always called him Mr. Satan. They just had a censored version that aired on Cartoon Network where they called him Hercule all the time and Orange Star City (I think that is right) instead of Satan City. I actually have an old VHS release for some of that section, and I remember being surprised at the time that the dub was saying Satan.

So anyway, like another poster said, it isn't a censorship thing. It has always been Bulla for the dub.
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:17 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:

Right now, Uub is at BEST two years old, AND it would go against the canon ending of Dragonball Z that the first anybody has ever seen him (and the first time he's ever seen Goku et al) is at the Tournament.

Nothing about Super has thus far actually contradicted anything in that flash forward ending in Z.

*GT* is becoming increasingly unlikely to be canonical in any way, but we know Toriyama's views on GT.

Although.....hmmm......A thought occurs.....heheheh....
Marimo0

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:52 am Reply with quote
Kendra Kirai wrote:
maximilianjenus wrote:

Right now, Uub is at BEST two years old, AND it would go against the canon ending of Dragonball Z that the first anybody has ever seen him (and the first time he's ever seen Goku et al) is at the Tournament.

Nothing about Super has thus far actually contradicted anything in that flash forward ending in Z.

*GT* is becoming increasingly unlikely to be canonical in any way, but we know Toriyama's views on GT.

Although.....hmmm......A thought occurs.....heheheh....

Uub's actually around six right now. He was born in the year 774, and Bulla was born in 780.

And GT was made non canon when we had stuff like Kibito Kai unfusing.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:51 pm Reply with quote
It seems like this latest episode confirmed what I think the plan is in including certain members of the team. The other universes will need to hold back, and thereby leave themselves open to team ups out of concern for a disqualification. Though, I suspect that Goku and Vegeta will still try to have one-on-one fights.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 40