• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dragon Ball Super

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Marimo0 wrote:
I expect there's going to be a moment during the tournament where Goku is somehow incapacitated (healing in the pod at Namek, got a heart disease, is dead) and the rest of the team will need to keep him protected while also pushing towards victory.

This is why they NEED to show there's different kinds of "strength", because these are always SUPER obvious "killing time" and usually incredibly DUMB. Also, the concept that "most players active" means its not all about "power" is wrong since DB has constantly shown that the "best" guy can take out most (all?) of the "lower" guys by himself easily:
-Goku v Ginyu Force
-Frieza v Z fighters (sans Goku)
-Androids & Cell v Z Fighters
-Buu v pretty much everyone

You need to show that there's a way that it's BELIEVABLE that say Krillin or 18 could at LEAST beat Vegeta, or the whole thing in people's minds is always just gonna be "Can Goku beat the top guy? because everyone else is clearly just fodder.
Marimo0

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:26 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Marimo0 wrote:
I expect there's going to be a moment during the tournament where Goku is somehow incapacitated (healing in the pod at Namek, got a heart disease, is dead) and the rest of the team will need to keep him protected while also pushing towards victory.

This is why they NEED to show there's different kinds of "strength", because these are always SUPER obvious "killing time" and usually incredibly DUMB. Also, the concept that "most players active" means its not all about "power" is wrong since DB has constantly shown that the "best" guy can take out most (all?) of the "lower" guys by himself easily:
-Goku v Ginyu Force
-Frieza v Z fighters (sans Goku)
-Androids & Cell v Z Fighters
-Buu v pretty much everyone

You need to show that there's a way that it's BELIEVABLE that say Krillin or 18 could at LEAST beat Vegeta, or the whole thing in people's minds is always just gonna be "Can Goku beat the top guy? because everyone else is clearly just fodder.

But the tournament set up isn't going to make it only one or two guys vs many people to show off how strong this one or two people are. And they're going to be fighters of different levels, probably some who use unique powers along with those who use straight up strength, and some will probably be teaming up with each other. It's not like someone like Goku is going to be able to just have a moment where he can just wipe out all of the weaker tier fighters. He's probably going to be busy dealing with the stronger class fighters like Toppo, Hit, and Jiren, as is Vegeta. Even if they win, it could take enough time that they might not be able to take out the rest of the fighters on their own, or they may be too worn out from their fights to be able to handle some of the weaker or middle tier fighters. This is less Goku vs the Ginyu Force, and more what if Goku, Vegeta, Krillin, Piccolo, and Gohan had to fight Frieza, the Ginyus, Dodoria, and Zarbon at the same time under a time limit but on a much bigger scale.

Sam Leach wrote:
Our heroes only have forty hours to put their team together, but Goku sure seems to be taking his time.

He only spent 1 hour sparring with Buu and then getting to Dende. Overall, they still have 37 hours, over a day and a half, left.

Sam Leach wrote:
There are a lot of teases and ideas that would strike me as more interesting if they were practiced in the middle of tournament itself, instead of every little thing being prepped ahead of time. I'm imagining a version of this recruitment process where Goku, Gohan, and Beerus just round everyone up in one place, tell them the story, and get it all over with. This one-at-a-time thing feels very artificial.

I can't see that actually going well. This is the best time to focus on fully reintroducing characters and showing what they can contribute, rather than just cramming it into the tournament itself. Unlike the universe 6 tournament where only Goku and Vegeta got to do anything to really help (Piccolo's fight just served to expose Frost as a cheater and he still gave up fighting in the end), I actually feel more confident that these other fighters will be focused on and be helpful in the tournament. Plus this feels more like the older arcs where there were kind of sub-arcs running through them.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Sam Leach wrote:
Next week's episode seems to be the No. 17 recruitment one, and it looks great so far. This recruitment arc is doing a respectable job keeping things varied between comedy, family moments, smart fighting, and all-out brawls as the characters spar and warm up for the upcoming tournament, but it's currently standing on thin ice with me. There are a lot of factors that prevent me from seeing this time spent as crucial, even from a purely structural point of view rather than a "there's only so much time in the day" sort of way. There are a lot of teases and ideas that would strike me as more interesting if they were practiced in the middle of tournament itself, instead of every little thing being prepped ahead of time. I'm imagining a version of this recruitment process where Goku, Gohan, and Beerus just round everyone up in one place, tell them the story, and get it all over with. This one-at-a-time thing feels very artificial.

I've heard that this pre tournament arc will last at least four more episodes. I'm putting it in spoiler tags as episode titles and summaries are referenced spoiler[http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2017/04/08-1/dragon-ball-super-schedule-suggests-that-goku-is-going-to-take-some-time-assembling-his-team]. I don't know if I'll vouch for their accuracy but it does seem in line with the approach so far.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:56 pm Reply with quote
What I really like is the fact that 17's Latin American voice actor is really excited about dubbing him.
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Goodness! I was waiting sooooo long to see Android 17 (who is #3 on my favourite DB characters after Vegeta and Trunks naturally).

One thing that bugged me was 17 saying his family is not on the island but he doesn't leave the island *side eyes*

So when the heck does he sees his family? Do they come to him? Ugh, it feels like a cop out because for whatever reason they couldn't show them, especially after he shows them to Goku on his phone but we DIDN'T GET TO SEE.

Whatever...

Good episode and all that. I feel the same way as the reviewer, these episodes have woken me up a bit in this recruitment arc.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I liked the episode but A+? Wasn't expecting to see that.

One thing that I found a bit odd is that when he finds out the universe is going to be destroyed if they lose the tournament he says he doesn't mind being erased. So what about his family and the animals? It makes me wonder if he doesn't actually care about anything very strongly and simply found things to do after being resurrected, but in the end wont mind if they aren't there or not. We know he'll be joining the team anyway, but I'm just curious about his general frame of mind.
xzy123

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:30 pm Reply with quote
how is 17 alive when one whole world was gone with the cell
Marimo0

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:25 am Reply with quote
xzy123 wrote:
how is 17 alive when one whole world was gone with the cell

17 was brought back to life since he counted as one of Cell's victims. They acknowledged he was alive when they also wished for 18 and HIS bombs to be removed, and he was seen near the end of the Buu saga.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:11 am Reply with quote
Anyone else notice that when 17 said he knew Trunks, he was referring to Future Trunks?
princess passa passa wrote:

One thing that bugged me was 17 saying his family is not on the island but he doesn't leave the island *side eyes*

So when the heck does he sees his family? Do they come to him? Ugh, it feels like a cop out because for whatever reason they couldn't show them, especially after he shows them to Goku on his phone but we DIDN'T GET TO SEE.

*WHY* didn't we see the picture of 17's family? Speculation time!:
Theory 1. (Saw this on another forum) 17's wife & 3 kids (2 are adopted) live on another, nearby island. Dende mentions that Uub lives on a nearby island...Could Uub be one of 17's adopted kids?
Proofs against: 1. in the DBZ finale, Uub said he entered the tournament to earn money for his starving home village on an island nation. Doubt he would need the money if he was adopted by a rich park ranger... (although considering how little family & friends seem to help each other out in this world, maybe he would feel like he needs to make money for his bio family/home village on his own...) 2. If 17 was even nominally raising Uub, he'd probably be able to train him, too, and Goku wouldn't have to fly off with him later.
Theory 2: 17's wife is someone we'd recognize...maybe a super independent lady, like Tights? Proofs for: You'd think we'd know if two prominent character's siblings were married to one another, but no one seems to communicate with family in this society unless they live near them. 18 didn't know where her twin brother lived, Bulma didn't mention Tights to her own husband 'till she had to call her for a favor a few arcs ago. (And Tarble--less said about him, the better! Very Happy) Proofs against: That'd be almost too convenient...
I do hope they obscured the details of 17's family because there's some interesting reveal behind them. At the very least, his adopted kids (and/or wife) better be aliens! Razz
Going back to a rant I've been saving from an earlier ep- Whis's actions seemed really wrong when he just went and teleported Bra out of Bulma's womb without explanation or warning. On the other hand, Bulma's hardly upset about a virtually consequence free painless birth (even the best Cesarian sections leave weeks long recovery times and ugly scars). Totally calling BS on her not having any leftover baby weight, tho! Laughing
Bra is an awful name, no matter how you slice it. Gotta agree with Vegeta here. Shoulda gone with Eschallotte! Smile
Marimo0

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Anyone else notice that when 17 said he knew Trunks, he was referring to Future Trunks?
princess passa passa wrote:

*WHY* didn't we see the picture of 17's family? Speculation time!:
Theory 1. (Saw this on another forum) 17's wife & 3 kids (2 are adopted) live on another, nearby island. Dende mentions that Uub lives on a nearby island...Could Uub be one of 17's adopted kids?
Proofs against: 1. in the DBZ finale, Uub said he entered the tournament to earn money for his starving home village on an island nation. Doubt he would need the money if he was adopted by a rich park ranger... (although considering how little family & friends seem to help each other out in this world, maybe he would feel like he needs to make money for his bio family/home village on his own...) 2. If 17 was even nominally raising Uub, he'd probably be able to train him, too, and Goku wouldn't have to fly off with him later.
Theory 2: 17's wife is someone we'd recognize...maybe a super independent lady, like Tights? Proofs for: You'd think we'd know if two prominent character's siblings were married to one another, but no one seems to communicate with family in this society unless they live near them. 18 didn't know where her twin brother lived, Bulma didn't mention Tights to her own husband 'till she had to call her for a favor a few arcs ago. (And Tarble--less said about him, the better! Very Happy) Proofs against: That'd be almost too convenient...
I do hope they obscured the details of 17's family because there's some interesting reveal behind them. At the very least, his adopted kids (and/or wife) better be aliens! Razz
Going back to a rant I've been saving from an earlier ep- Whis's actions seemed really wrong when he just went and teleported Bra out of Bulma's womb without explanation or warning. On the other hand, Bulma's hardly upset about a virtually consequence free painless birth (even the best Cesarian sections leave weeks long recovery times and ugly scars). Totally calling BS on her not having any leftover baby weight, tho! Laughing
Bra is an awful name, no matter how you slice it. Gotta agree with Vegeta here. Shoulda gone with Eschallotte! Smile

My theory? Toriyama and Toyotaro have been busy enough planning out this arc and designing all the gods and fighters that they probably didn't want to also have to come up with 17's family at the same time. If they ever want to actually show them, it can probably wait until after the Universe Survival arc, when they would presumably have the free time to come up with some designs.

And Bra's the more literal translation that more obviously fits the underwear theme. The way it's pronounced and the spelling the dub uses is Bulla, which matches how they use the name Bulma as opposed to Bloomers (and it's also the spelling on some clothes she wore).
Araki

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Super is definitely not ending on 100 episodes, nor anytime soon for that matter. That would mean this is the last cour, and that's obviously not the case (just a quick look at the next few episodes titles reinforces that).
Marimo0

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
since I can't think of a good reason why they should be pushing the Tournament of Power back so much

I think they just want to really focus on all the other team mates. It may have been a bit unusual if this was around the Saiyan saga or Cell saga, but after all these years most of the older cast became less relevant by the Buu arc, where only the saiyans and Piccolo had that much of a role. Then we had (the non-canonical) GT which focused more on just Goku, Pan, Trunks, and Vegeta later on, over a decade of no new material, BoG and RoF which aside from some fight scenes were still mainly focused on Goku and Vegeta along with new characters Beerus and Whis, the Universe 6 arc which aside from one fight for Piccolo was still focused on Goku and Vegeta, And the Future Trunks arc which was focused on Goku, Vegeta, and Future Trunks. Instead of just getting right into the tournament it seems like the anime wants to make us really believe that this time these other characters are going to feel important and relevant and it's not just more Goku and Vegeta focus. And I don't think just rushing right into the tournament and expecting viewers to start caring after the action's already started would be good writing.
D00dleB0Y

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The Super anime is already ahead of the manga in terms of story, so it's not like we're waiting for more material to adapt.

Quite the opposite, on the contrary.

I'm surprised no one mentioned this, but it was already stated several months back by the Jump Staff (or maybe it was Toei, I forgot who exactly) that this arc was going to have a lot of filler in order for the manga to catch up. In fact, it was also stated that the manga was contractually obligated to finish before the anime does, and that the manga actually WILL surpass the anime just like it did when the manga first started.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:12 pm Reply with quote
ah, I ahd not heard that, it makes some (weird) sense, is the manga selling that well ?

my theory was that they are balancing multiple animation teams and create/leave the lame episodes to the inferior teams so the important ones are made by the B/A teams (sicne this show seesm to have C even D teams).
GhostD

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:12 am Reply with quote
D00dleB0Y wrote:
Quote:
The Super anime is already ahead of the manga in terms of story, so it's not like we're waiting for more material to adapt.

Quite the opposite, on the contrary.

I'm surprised no one mentioned this, but it was already stated several months back by the Jump Staff (or maybe it was Toei, I forgot who exactly) that this arc was going to have a lot of filler in order for the manga to catch up. In fact, it was also stated that the manga was contractually obligated to finish before the anime does, and that the manga actually WILL surpass the anime just like it did when the manga first started.

Assuming thats true then its gonna be a long wait considering the manga is a monthly thing and theyre not even done with the Zamasu fight yet though I think the arc will finish in 2 chapters. As for the Universe Survival arc, itll probably be 2018 by the time they finish it cos Im confident the anime version of it will be done before the end of 2017

Ep. 88

It was pretty good. Mystic Gohan is back which is good character development for him and we get some development for Piccolo too and with only 9 hours left the fillers should be about done in 2 more eps. Was that girl the spoiler[female Broly] we've been seeing in the openings when Cabba was on his recruitment drive?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 40