• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dragon Ball Super

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Melchiorgk wrote:
Eh, I figured at that first punch at Gohan that Frieza was going to "throw" the fight to take out Frost by surprise. Gohan's reaction was pretty blatant.

I also found it amusing how he was setting up Frost to fail in the future by pointing out how he can enhance himself, but stating it should all be used in the beginning of the fight because it burns out fast. Which was Frieza's original problem with the forms. So Frieza pointed out the flaw, told Frost to try to get things done in the limited timeframe, and completely neglected to mention that Frieza himself had simply worked his way through his flaw. Next time they fight, Frieza can simply outlast Frost.

Unrelated, but some friends of mine have suspected that all but Universe 7 will be erased, with Goku using the Super Dragon Balls to wish back the removed universes. I have been getting the growing feeling that the solution will be more clever than that. Zeno is removing low-mortal-level universes to remove workload, so wishing back destroyed universes is just going to start the whole problem over again. I suspect the wish to actually be to bring everyone/thing in the destroyed universes into Universe 7. Still less universes for Zeno to deal with, no massive deaths, Universe 7 probably gets a good spike in its mortal-levels by adding everyone together, and Goku can more easily get into rematches with all the fun new fighters he has met.

That theory's been around the net for months now after the reveal that the SDB was the grand prize adding to the fact that the latest chapter of the manga version came out recently. In the end not even the Omni King can keep track of 12 Universes. This is the problem when the king of the multiverse is a fickle child
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:00 pm Reply with quote
You just know the universes that were 'too strong' to be bothered with the tournament are gonna have something to say about whatever wish is made.

Anways, okay episode. The telegraphs were far too strong this time though. the peanut gallery should keep their mouths shut.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:50 pm Reply with quote
From what I understand the special is just 2 episodes back to back but it's supposed to be the Goku vs Jiren fight and as much as they are building up Jiren I guess that can be considered kind of special.

And I just caught up last week and now I am going crazy that I have to wait. Never thought I'd be this into Dragon Ball again.
Pipoko

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:21 am Reply with quote
I liked that this episode kind of showed that Gohan isn't quite perfect yet despite some competency. He hasn't been as active with training as Goku and Vegeta have been for a long time, so him being pushed back by a presumably much skilled fighter (considering Instant Transmission is the technique of the Yardrats) who doesn't let him act makes sense, similarly to Krillin in his recruitment episode. This would've been much better commentary. It is graspable from how the fight goes without it, but would be much better character writing if actually pointed out by the group from the stands.

I also found Freeza to be entertaining despite the predictable twist. I like him being the more smarter, but still just as cruel version he was at the start of Namek, rather than the pissed off version during the end of the fight with Goku. He even seems to have grown from the experience, him being the one out of all characters, to point out one problem with not going all out against an opponent right away.

I think the biggest problem in general is the writing not being, again, as specific as it needs to be, like the Kale (100, 101) and Tenshinhan episodes (106). 105 and 107 in comparison were really clear-cut in terms of script. You immidately got the intent. I liked ideas and parts of 100, 101 and 106, but just a little more elaboration on certain elements would've improved them quite a bit. I liked this episode more than those 3 and thought it was fine as a whole, but it had the same problem.
GhostD

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:35 am Reply with quote
Ep 109-110

Dont know about the rest of you but IMO this 1 hr special was worth the wait and the hype. Toei stepped up the animation quality and the action was great and that short song they added during the fight helped. Next week's ep is looking to be good too. Although I have to say Im starting to get really annoyed with Ribrianne's antics

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Definitely two amazing episodes, hopefully we can keep this level of quality, although that's kind of wishful thinking when it comes to toei.

I do like how they handled things, I didn't expect the spirit bomb to work but wasn't sure how they would go about doing it. I wonder if they'll explain goku's new form, although I suppose it doesn't really matter. Jiren has been made out to be in another league ever since he was introduced so if goku could get away with stuff he's already done before it would be a disappointment. It was great to see him actually put his full power into something and be completely crushed (pretty much a first for the series).

I would say my only nit pick about all of this is, how powerful could the spirit bomb actually be? It only got power from 8 people as far as I can tell (the team members minus goku and vegeta) and even if they are strong compared to normal people, aside from possibly freiza I don't see them contributing anywhere near enough power to create as powerful attack as it was made out to be in the episode.

But doesn't really matter, new form is here, can't wait for the next episode. Way better one hour special than one piece, granted they probably had a lot less flexibility on where to put their one hour special considering the pacing of the series.
GhostD

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:55 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
Definitely two amazing episodes, hopefully we can keep this level of quality, although that's kind of wishful thinking when it comes to toei.

I do like how they handled things, I didn't expect the spirit bomb to work but wasn't sure how they would go about doing it. I wonder if they'll explain goku's new form, although I suppose it doesn't really matter. Jiren has been made out to be in another league ever since he was introduced so if goku could get away with stuff he's already done before it would be a disappointment.

I would say my only nit pick about all of this is, how powerful could the spirit bomb actually be? It only got power from 8 people as far as I can tell (the team members minus goku and vegeta) and even if they are strong compared to normal people, aside from possibly freiza I don't see them contributing anywhere near enough power to create as powerful attack as it was made out to be in the episode.

But doesn't really matter, new form is here, can't wait for the next episode. Way better one hour special than one piece, granted they probably had a lot less flexibility on where to put their one hour special considering the pacing of the series.

Its not actually a new form but rather a power up. Goku basically absorbed the spirit bomb and his energy clashed with it until he overcame it and temporarily unleashed his true potential. The term Beerus used, Ultra Instinct, is the same skill or fighting style Whis originally tried to teach Goku, Vegeta and Beerus which is basically continuous subconscious movement during battle. Also Goku used UT in his base form the only difference is the obvious aura surrounding him and the silver eyes.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Just a note it looks like an entire minute was cut off from the end of episode 109 on US streaming sites.

https://twitter.com/bonusstage/status/917061652880687105
Kicksville

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:09 pm Reply with quote
So that was Akira Kushida on the insert song, right? Thought Goku was gonna break out one of those Kinnikuman holds for a moment.
Zeino

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Quite literally an absolutely perfect episode. The writing was there, the storyboarding was there, the immersion was there, and by god was the animation there. Easily an episode to stack on top of Z's most climactic moments to be honest, and while I'm trying not to let episode end-off hype try to influence my opinion, I think objectively there's so much good material here. The only thing I would've liked to see refined was to expand the reach of the Spirit Bomb move past Universe 7; surely there are other warriors who aren't interested in seeing Jiren win and have Goku left as the weaker opponent. Even some respect from the Universe 6 team would've be neat, having Hit and a couple other fighters somewhat begrudgingly holding their hands up. It'd add to the grand element while effectively having everyone job to Jiren without actually being disrespected themselves. Still, a minor nitpick at best.

This episode even made Ribrianne and even Jiren on a lesser note seem like appealing characters; Ribrianne with her grand ambitions of becoming a god, while the line with Jiren where he actually lets Goku charge up the Spirit Bomb free of charge. It's a subtle way of showing his respect to fighting warriors at their best, while not being an idiotic tactic the Saiyans tend to take on because he only benefits from overpowering and improving his reputation on the battlefield.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:39 pm Reply with quote
This is what happens when Toei's in house animators take the reigns for animation.

As the main reason Toei shows tend to look bad is because they are heavily outsourced to the phillipines studio.

Stuff like Precure, Tiger Mask W, and this 1 hour special show that Toei aren't a "Crap" studio like so many people think of them as.
Iconking

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I have so many emotions about this episode. On one hand, awesome animation and choreography, and what an interesting way for a transformation to occur. On the other hand, all that leading up to it and the weird zen hand movements, using the velocity of Toppo and Dyspo against them as they attack, all this talk about how he is so precise but is energy is not that overwhelming. All that for Goku to just punch Jiren. No interesting gimmicks nothing. I know it's par for the course, and I'm certainly not gonna stop watching, but would it hurt to give Goku ANYTHING interesting for once. Maybe they'll explore the thing further and we see that whole clash between how Goku's fighting instincts are really good, and for example Vegeta gets a different kind of power up because he is more strategic. They probably wont tho.
GhostD

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I get the feeling that as far as TV rankings go, I think Super's 1 hr special will outdo One Piece's this time. It was only the 2nd part of One Piece's special that was great. Super's was great all the way through

P.S Toei mustve broken the bank with animation quality like this
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:55 pm Reply with quote
AsuraTheDestructor wrote:

Stuff like Precure, Tiger Mask W, and this 1 hour special show that Toei aren't a "Crap" studio like so many people think of them as.

Toei Phils, and the terror that was Sailor Moon Crystal. Also Tiger Mask W was great fighting. Glad to see more saw it.
Pipoko

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:42 am Reply with quote
The transformation isn't entirely without foreshadowing. It's the idea Whis mentioned in the RoF arc about moving on insinct.

Yeah, this episode was great. I think one of the things I love about it the most is that it actually feels like a otherwordly battle. DBZ especially promotes battles between planet-busters, but it rarely conveys it so well. Goku's new technique is shown as a technique with it's specific style instead of using the familiar tropes to show how powerful a character is, it has a element of uncertainty to it, with his silence, the Oozaru roars behind his screams and him not understanding what he did himself. It's instantly presented as a compelling mystery through the characters' speculation and none of the new forms since the first two Super Saiyan transformations have been presented so well.

Jiren still isn't that special personality-wise (at least teases of his motivation are present and he does have more expressions), but he is built up as a credible threat really well.

Aside from that, it was probably one of the best animated episodes of all of Dragon Ball and had a great soundtrack.

This was a 10/10 DB episode. Great entertaining shounen stuff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 26 of 40