• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Credits for Yuki YAMADA (#140596) and Hiroki YAMADA (#31607) confused?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:17 am Reply with quote
Yuki YAMADA (3D CGI animator) and Hiroki YAMADA (animator) have the same Kanji listed in the encyclopedia for their names, and I'm thinking some of the credits for them have been confused.

A couple sites list Hiroki Yamada as directing the 2016 version of Matasaburo of the Wind (http://camerajapan.nl/event/matasaburo-of-the-wind/ and http://wff.pl/film/matasaburo-of-the-wind), but the encyclopedia currently has Yuki Yamada credited with that. Also, Yuki Yamada is credited as working on Mei and the Kitten Bus, but it seems much more likely to me that Hiroki Yamada worked on it. Hiroki Yamada has other credits for similar work at Studio Ghibli from the same time period, and the two sites I linked above both list him as working for Studio Ghibli. Yuki Yamada on the other hand has credits that otherwise start 5 years later and are for 3D CG work, not digital animation.

The credit of Hiroki Yamada's page for 3D CG for Strike the Blood also seems dubious to me, since Yuki Yamada is the one who is a 3D modeler and is credited as working for the same company (IKIF+) for work on Bayonetta: Bloody Fate. I think that credit is much more likely to go with Yuki Yamada. Also, some of the other credits under Hiroki Yamada seem like they might possibly go with someone else (the ones for modeling and for sales promotion).

After writing this up, I've noticed that there is actually an older thread about these people (animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2983175). From that, it seems like there was uncertainty over whether some of the names should be Hiroki or Yuki, and uncertainty over how many people were being listed under the same name. Regardless though, based on the links I posted above, I think the person who worked for Studio Ghibli and the person who directed Matasaburo of the Wind are the same, and that person's name is Hiroki Yamada. I suppose it is possible that Hiroki Yamada switched to doing 3D modeling after leaving Studio Ghibli, but if we think the person doing 3D modeling is someone different, then I still think the credit for Strike the Blood should be moved to that person.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:41 am Reply with quote
Actually, aside from the sales promotion person (I've given him a separate entry now), I don't think there's two different people here at all. It's a person with the same name in kanji, doing tasks I'd expect of a CG animator. I just didn't know last time which reading was correct. I was leaning towards Hiroki, and with the official sources on this new movie you've provided, it confirms that name further. I'm going to merge the entries now.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:27 am Reply with quote
Ok, thanks for taking care of this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1