• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Don't Simulcast Subtitles Get Corrected?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Boy if they just had to update a single torrent wouldn't that be simpler.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:18 pm Reply with quote
I must be the luckiest person in the world because I have never come across horrible simulcast subtitles. And even if I found bigger mistakes, they are not a big issue for my watching experience. And as a collector I know that subtitles in discs are usually accurate and of good quality.
MrFox123

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I've only ever seen small typos or just a line that wasn't included (happens often in Naruto ) Laughing
bs3311

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:25 pm Reply with quote
If they hired more people, then workflow could possibly balance out. This isn't about fixing, it's about preventing said mistakes. You can't excuse this, no matter how minor. The simulcast advertises the product and with typos or translations being called out/corrected by simple twitter users or in fact fansubbers, it pulls away from shows experience until they have to waste time fixing it or waiting around a year for the physical release. In the past people would bash sentai for TAN's barrage of typos and mistranslations, now crunchyroll or funi gets a free pass? Enough with the hypocrisy. Just like how TAN adapted by working on less simulcats or doing late translations (Yes, they still have issues from 2 damn titles and that still doesn't stop me from criticizing) the rest should adapt the same way. License or translate less titles or spread the work around by hiring more talent or outsource to legit professionals cause obviously they're biting more than they can chew to not only rush out their product but then have to waste time fixing issues that could possibly overlook future translations to create the same mistakes creating a cycle of repetitive insanity
0nsen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Why do they hardsub anyway? It's $currentyear. Even my toaster can handle softsubs. And they should really, really drop flash.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I've seen mistakes that I or other people pointed out corrected on Crunchyroll. Not even through emails to the staff, just through comments, which I usually write more with the aim of informing other viewers than in serious hopes of getting the subbers to make changes. It isn't done every time, nor is it immediate, but it does happen, and I get pleasantly surprised every time it does. The most recent example I can remember is episode 7 of New Game!, where they first translated "taking barium" as "getting a barium enema" (barium contrast is more commonly administered orally in Japan, and another character specifically mentions having drunk it later on). A little more than a week the reference to enemas was removed.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:45 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
If they hired more people, then workflow could possibly balance out. This isn't about fixing, it's about preventing said mistakes. You can't excuse this, no matter how minor. The simulcast advertises the product and with typos or translations being called out/corrected by simple twitter users or in fact fansubbers, it pulls away from shows experience until they have to waste time fixing it or waiting around a year for the physical release. In the past people would bash sentai for TAN's barrage of typos and mistranslations, now crunchyroll or funi gets a free pass? Enough with the hypocrisy. Just like how TAN adapted by working on less simulcats or doing late translations (Yes, they still have issues from 2 damn titles and that still doesn't stop me from criticizing) the rest should adapt the same way. License or translate less titles or spread the work around by hiring more talent or outsource to legit professionals cause obviously they're biting more than they can chew to not only rush out their product but then have to waste time fixing issues that could possibly overlook future translations to create the same mistakes creating a cycle of repetitive insanity

Less simulcasts = less subs = less money = less simulcasts. CR's USP is being the one stop shop for getting to watch shows almost as soon as they air in Japan. They lose that, they lose their business, we lose legal (& illegal given how pretty many torrents these days are just CR rips with maybe karaoke lyrics added) access to nearly 3/4 of what gets released each season.
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:52 pm Reply with quote
One other question might be why aren't simulcast subs corrected for home video release?

You can see the appeal for distributors to use an existing subtitle script, but that's the perfect time to proofread and correct. But so often I see mistakes that I saw when streaming. Madman used Crunchyroll's subs for their Nichijou release, and there was an extra scene in one episode compared to the streaming versions. They just didn't bother subtitling it. For their Rock Lee release they even used the same font as Crunchyroll.

Another example is Sentai's Glasslip release which has the eye-opening “Taniguchi did the 10,000 metre dash in 39 seconds” I remember scratching my head at the CR streams at an athlete running at three quarters the speed of sound, but I would have thought someone would fix that for home video, but no...
bs3311

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:

Less simulcasts = less subs = less money = less simulcasts. *stroke stroke stroke* we lose legal access to nearly 3/4 of what gets released each season.

more kindergarten screw ups like this = hilarity = loss of trust = less viewership = less money. We would'nt lose 3/4 of seasonal shows legally when the probable effect would be that those shows will be licensed or outsourced by other companies spreading the work load. Oh, they wont be a one stop shop then? Well tough love cause they can't back up what they're barking. Yet from what I'm hearing, CR's staff is huge and each group works on a few shows, it's just the people they hire are possibly incompetent
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Most of the mistakes from subs amount to apostrophe errors and others you'd expect from doing the job at 3 in the morning so I'm not all that bothered about it. It's nothing compared to the "good old days" when fansubbers simulcast and several groups would have different interpretations of a line spoken. There were plenty of sites that popped up for the sole purpose of scrutinizing them in accuracy.
synaia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:13 pm Reply with quote
CR doesn't always do the subs themself though, for some series depending on who's the publisher, they'll get a eng sub to use instead. It's mainly those that have mistakes. *cough* aniplex has been having weird and stupid errors lately.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:23 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
more kindergarten screw ups like this = hilarity = loss of trust = less viewership = less money. We would'nt lose 3/4 of seasonal shows legally when the probable effect would be that those shows will be licensed or outsourced by other companies spreading the work load. Oh, they wont be a one stop shop then? Well tough love cause they can't back up what they're barking. Yet from what I'm hearing, CR's staff is huge and each group works on a few shows, it's just the people they hire are possibly incompetent

Fast, cheap, reliable -- pick two. And translation isn't even something you can always speed up by throwing more money at it (money which, remember, isn't infinite). So maybe it's just "fast or reliable, pick one".

You're not going to be able to start a competitor whose selling point is translation quality unless you're willing to take longer, and the key lesson of the fansub era is that speed wins out. If CR took an extra two or three days for quality, speedsubbers would come back, start doing exactly what CR's doing now, and they'd lose their #1 selling point.
Ushio

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:30 pm Reply with quote
In other words here's a really shitty product for your money that is inferior to what is available for free.
Shiflan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Fast, cheap, reliable -- pick two.

This hits the nail on the head.

Quote:
And translation isn't even something you can always speed up by throwing more money at it

Translation? No, you can't easily speed that up. But you could easily add another layer of error-checking. That's as simple as hiring another person (or persons) who check the subtitles in parallel with whomever is currently doing the job. Yes, it would cost more money to hire people for that job, but it wouldn't take any more time in the production schedule.
Morry

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Fansubs have taught us that fans will always go for the cheapest (free) option so long as it's also the fastest. They don't care about quality. They'll even defend the complete inaccuracy not fully understanding the nature of the language or its translation.

The quality people are those who are removed from the competition and can make their armchair criticisms after the fact.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7