• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Don't Simulcast Subtitles Get Corrected?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:27 pm Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:
Why do they hardsub anyway? It's $currentyear. Even my toaster can handle softsubs. And they should really, really drop flash.
Agreed. HTML5 (and blurays, while we're on the subject, albeit with a lot of bs and finagling) can support the same stylized subtitles (including the fancy "sign subtitles") that fansubbers have been producing for a long time. I'm not saying that it's something that should be done for simulcasts, because that would take forever, but it's something I wish they would think about while putting up catalog shows for stream and when releasing the shows for home video.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:46 pm Reply with quote
The one show I have on bluray from Aniplex fixed some of Crunchy's subs errors, but then had a few errors of their own. Not to mention times when the subs appear on the top of the screen, not the bottom, for no apparent reason (i.e. as if there were two subs at once, but there aren't).

But this one line from the main character that was mistranslated - the subs said "I built this place", but it should have been "I was built here" - was not fixed. It seems like a minor thing, but it's a rare moment of vulnerability from the character, who always seems so powerful, and it's one of the things that makes him such a great character - which is what makes the show so great.

Then again, in the same episode, the fansubbers made it seem like two completely unlikely characters were married in scene that takes place some time after the series, and the fandom freaked out about that.

They also tended to overtranslate things - at one point, in a very emotional scene, a character said something just like, "Why... always...." (and he's crying). The subtitle said, "Why can't we catch a break?", completely draining the scene of emotion.

I understand the time crunch, I just wish the show were popular enough to get a better disc treatment. A dub would have been nice, too, but...
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:55 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:

more kindergarten screw ups like this = hilarity = loss of trust = less viewership = less money.

The Ace Attorney games for example have grammar errors every game and yet Capcom hasn't lost any trust or any money over it.

Key wrote:

Frankly, I don't get bothered by subtitle errors in simulcasts unless they're really egregious, like a line missing, badly out of sync, an incorrect character being referred to,

I still get a kick out of watching an episode of Yu-Gi-Oh and seeing Joey's name come up for some weird reason.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:07 pm Reply with quote
As an English teacher, I find myself catching pretty much every tiny error in any subtitled anime I watch, as well as in games (Bandai Namco still makes a few booboos in Tales games here and there with the descriptions for items and equipment). XD
Tajima

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:35 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
As an English teacher, I find myself catching pretty much every tiny error in any subtitled anime I watch, as well as in games (Bandai Namco still makes a few booboos in Tales games here and there with the descriptions for items and equipment). Anime hyper

One would hope so, since it's your job. However, most anime fans are kids/students who can barely even speak or type English, judging by the level of grammar in forum threads/CR comment sections/etc., so they aren't exactly going to notice these mistakes, and its not worth the waste of money to go back and correct them.

Then we have the kids like bs3311 who has shown, throughout this thread, that he has no idea how things actually work in the real world (I think he even alluded to still being in school, which explains a lot) and the kids with two years of college-level Japanese classes who point out "errors" that aren't even errors, and its not difficult to understand why CR doesn't go back over every single little line or take into account every correction suggestion.
loka

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Given the history of Crunchy Roll, I'm not sure why people expect quality. Oh, they're paying money? Well, maybe if you only paid _more_ money, Crunchy Roll would hire competent editors...
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Tajima wrote:
One would hope so, since it's your job.

I do it out of my sheer enthusiasm and love for the English language being utilized correctly in a lot of media, so it's credited more to my passion than my career obligation.

Quote:
However, most anime fans are kids/students who can barely even speak or type English, judging by the level of grammar in forum threads/CR comment sections/etc., so they aren't exactly going to notice these mistakes, and its not worth the waste of money to go back and correct them.

What's worse is that some of them are college-level students and still type like they're in grade school, sadly. Just goes to show how much some folks still spit out that outdated and juvenile early-Internet era response: "Spelling and grammar don't matter online! We're not getting graded for it!"

Sigh...it makes you want to weep for the future of humanity sometimes.
JDude042

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:41 pm Reply with quote
You know it's funny, but I swear I've watched some YouTube videos where the content creators were being sponsored by Crunchyroll and in their sponsorship message they always state something along the lines of, "High quality anime straight from Japan, professionally subtitled in English." Professionally huh... PFFFFF! Mad Not that I'm saying they aren't trying at least, but these apparent blunders don't exactly scream "professional" to me, but hey... nobody's perfect. I guess they need to work on fixing this problem before anymore people go around selling us half-baked lies here.
ItAintEazy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:47 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if the people who tolerate mistakes in their professional anime subs would tolerate the same mistakes in any other paid media, be it books, articles, magazines, etc.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:49 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Just goes to show how much some folks still spit out that outdated and juvenile early-Internet era response: "Spelling and grammar don't matter online! We're not getting graded for it!"

I see you've busted a few chops on Youtube as well Razz
Tajima

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:54 pm Reply with quote
ItAintEazy wrote:
I wonder if the people who tolerate mistakes in their professional anime subs would tolerate the same mistakes in any other paid media, be it books, articles, magazines, etc.

You are aware that there are typos and grammar mistakes in nearly every form of professional media, right? Even academic publications? I've come across grammar errors in nearly every book I've ever read. Even the most stringent editor may miss something, or follow a grammar rule that doesn't apply to the publication/audience they're writing for, be it an APA, CMOS, AP, or MLA-focused audience. Nevermind an operation like CrunchyRoll, which works under such (I assume) a rushed schedule that the employment of editors would a) Waste time on extra work that the intended audience generally won't appreciate anyway and 2) Waste money on extra work that the intended audience won't appreciate anyway.

Most people don't notice such mistakes because most people don't speak or write English at a high-enough level anyway, but yes, they do exist, and people do tolerate them (or miss them entirely).

I'm not sure what world some of you live in where you assume that mistakes no longer occur or exist once someone becomes an adult (or a "professional"). Especially since some of you already seem to realize that most of Crunchyroll's translators are simply former fansubbers. The only real difference is that they are getting paid now. They didn't suddenly transform into some alien being that no longer makes mistakes.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:38 am Reply with quote
Yeah I don't blame them for not fixing simulcast subtles since the people who noticed the mistakes most likely won't watch the episode again. Confused
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:50 am Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
Lemonchest wrote:

Less simulcasts = less subs = less money = less simulcasts. *stroke stroke stroke* we lose legal access to nearly 3/4 of what gets released each season.

more kindergarten screw ups like this = hilarity = loss of trust = less viewership = less money.

Except all signs point to more money and increasing viewership. Like Justin said, few people even catch the mistakes to begin with. Out of that group, even fewer actually care and from that group, only a micro percentage care enough to actually have a loss of trust.
SpeckTech

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:05 am Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:
Why do they hardsub anyway? It's $currentyear. Even my toaster can handle softsubs. And they should really, really drop flash.

I don't remember where (maybe in other answerman article?????) but IIRC the reason they can't drop flash is because it offers some minimum (and still utterly useless) "protection" from piracy. Though I don't know if it's possible to have HTML5 videos swap subtitles on the fly like flash.

If you want no subtitles, right click -> no subtitles. Or change it to french from english. I dunno why, maybe as punishment to get you to study for french class? No subs really helps for screen caps. Also being able to pause and take a screen cap without the player showing up. That's nice too.

At least on apple products/console you don't have options to change or turn off subtitles. You can change the language of the subtitles and UI, but that's it. I don't use an android though but you could probably whip up something with enough time.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:16 am Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
In other words here's a really shitty product for your money that is inferior to what is available for free.
There's really not much difference anymore, considering that the overwhelming majority of illegal free content is either (A) downloads of HorribleSubs rips of official streams, or much more commonly (B) bootleg streaming sites that re-encode HorribleSubs rips to hardcode subs, reduce quality, and add stupid self-promotion splashes. Either of those options, of course, gives viewers the exact same subtitles they'd get from the legal streaming sites. Downloading overall is a tiny sliver of the anime piracy pie, and only a small fraction of that sliver bothers to wait for fan-edited releases that add song translations and clean up errors in official streaming subs.

Essentially, people are just fine with official simulcast subs (error-ridden though they might be), as long as they're not asked to pay subscription fees or watch any ads. So much for all that "piracy is a service problem, not a pricing problem" nonsense; pricing is the ONLY difference if you live in the right region.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7