• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Don't Simulcast Subtitles Get Corrected?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YamiWheeler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:38 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:
I was impressed by the source too since not even my interviewing buds knew anything about it, but his/her commentary no matter how etiquette or poor is pointless to me because of the articles that write his/her opinion.

Seems like that's your close-mindedness showing then. What a shame for you.
bs3311

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:50 pm Reply with quote
YamiWheeler wrote:

Seems like that's your close-mindedness showing then. What a shame for you.

More like dropping my own close mindedness and seeing what they're saying instead of how they're saying it. The world doesn't revolve around just Logos, you can have the other branches help you out.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:08 pm Reply with quote
At least Crunchyroll's subs have improved from when Sasameki Koto had up to three separate lines on the screen at once. The series has since been removed from the catalogue, so I can't screencap that fail for you, unfortunately.
peno wrote:
I wouldn't pretend to be an expert here, but I remember there was some big argument about DRM in HTML5, with the pro-DRM group eventually winning this fight, so it's not like there is no copy-protection in HTML5. So, in my laic view of things, it should not matter which copy-protection you implement, should it?
To get this discussion back on track, they likely contracted with at least one license to use Flash specifically, before that battle had been won or even waged, and now they can't switch without negotiating some contract that isn't worth it(and this is even before the costs of redeveloping a player that works perfectly well).
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:37 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I don't follow fansubbing much any more, but my sense is that only rip-off groups like Horrible are speed subbing in English nowadays. What few fansubbing groups remain hold themselves to a higher standard and take longer as a result. In the past I could wait for weeks and sometimes months to get a fansubbed version of an arcane show like Oh! Edo Rocket or Hyouge Mono. Reliable subbing groups tried to get their shows out in the same week as it aired in Japan if there was sufficient demand.

What I noticed is that there remains a substantial group of people who don't trust any official translations, even if they were formerly done by scanlators. They're the people who like the whole grassroots, amateur nature of fansubbing. Between these guys and the people who want their anime for free AND without ads, those are the two main holdouts I find, and I don't really see them using official means anytime soon.

At least, this is what I see with One Piece, the anime/manga I follow the most closely. The One Piece Wikia refuses to use the official names Viz and FUNimation go by, for instance, sticking with "Yonkou" instead of "Four Emperors," "Gomu Gomu no Mi" instead of "Gum-Gum Fruit," etc., and I see a roughly 50/50 divide between One Piece fans who use the scanlator terms and those who use the official Viz terms. Some get along with the others, and some don't.

peno wrote:
I wouldn't pretend to be an expert here, but I remember there was some big argument about DRM in HTML5, with the pro-DRM group eventually winning this fight, so it's not like there is no copy-protection in HTML5. So, in my laic view of things, it should not matter which copy-protection you implement, should it?

The thing is that this is an issue of trust more than anything else. The Japanese companies, Hollywood studios, and TV producers trust the DRM on Flash/Animate more than the others, as it has been proven to at least stop some of these people. Not all of them, but definitely at least one. Hence, they trust Flash/Animate, whereas HTML5 is still new and mostly unproven, and no one wants to be the first.

PMDR wrote:
Flawed subtitles are an interesting quandary.

If you know enough about the show, or enough Japanese, to know the subtitle is wrong, then you probably don't need to be watching it with subtitles, so the flaws should not matter too much.

And if you desperately NEED those subs to enjoy the show at all, then you probably don't know enough to notice the flaws, in which case they should not matter too much.

Either way, life goes on.

Some of these flaws are not in regards to the translation, but to the usage of English, or as this article's thumbnail shows, garbled characters at the end of a line. I don't know any Japanese, but I know the rules of the English language well enough to identify that side of subtitle errors.

bs3311 wrote:
I'm not getting payed for this, I don't know who you are so I can't warp it into something that can fit your own, "nitpicky." Standard, I'm not making a video and this forum is a legit niche sub culture with groups that already have their own entitled opinions. You say it like I'll swoon over the masses if I just make fancy grammar changes. And I bet you wouldn't change your mind either in this mosh pit of a site no matter how constructed the user's sentences are. Why do it then, you might ask? Because it's still better than doing nothing at all.

The point is that you are not in a position to criticize someone else's English translations if you create errors in English usage yourself that you didn't identify. For instance, in your very first sentence, you have "payed" instead of "paid." It is also a run-on sentence, with an unnecessary comma near the end and the word "standard" aspart of the wrong sentence. The latter suggests carelessness; the former suggests a lack of knowledge of irregular verbs.

Hence, your arguments about perfect or near-perfect English cannot be taken seriously if you don't hold your own English to the same standard. Otherwise, you look like a hypocrite.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:40 am Reply with quote
Alright everyone lets keep it civil and watch the insults and insinuations about being closed minded or not. Thank you.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:28 am Reply with quote
Daizo wrote:
Here's a couple fun facts:

- Crunchyroll has at least around 150 on-site employees in San Franscisco, one of the most expensive places on Earth to live (and obviously the pay grades need to be high enough for people to actually be able to live there so they can work on-site).
- Meanwhile, basically all the subtitling staff is remote contractors, and they're paid in essentially peanuts. A translator only gets $80 per episode flat, regardless of how long or complicated the script is. (Timers get $20 per episode, and considering that a good timer can do an episode in 30 minutes, this means a translator would need to produce a script in mere 2 hours in order to have an equal hourly wage to a timer. More likely their hourly wage is going to be worse, though.)

So it's not that Crunchyroll wouldn't have money, it's just that they don't seem to be particularly interested in investing any of it into improving just, you know, their main product. After all, it's not like the legal consumers have a choice anyway with licenses being primarily exclusive :^)

It's not as easy as CR just deciding to pay their sub contractors more.

Translation and subtitle work is usually "recouped" from the royalties that licensors pay to the Japanese companies. In other words, paying the subcontractors more doesn't cost CR money, it costs the Japanese rights holder's money.
After all, the rights to the translations end up with them, not Crunchyroll.
In fact, CR having probably the cheapest way of producing simulcast subs is a plus for them when it comes to licensing negotiations.
bs3311

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:05 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

The point is that you are not in a position to criticize someone else's English translations if you create errors in English usage yourself that you didn't identify.
Hence, your arguments about perfect or near-perfect English cannot be taken seriously if you don't hold your own English to the same standard. Otherwise, you look like a hypocrite.

I'm in every right to complain since I already argued with professionals on this issue in the past and had nothing to back it up. I was wrong and I had to talk with other scriptwriters or editors to see why. This isn't just my argument, its everyone's argument whether written properly or not since no way am I gonna spend over an hour to post each stinking comment. Nor will I spend over five sentences criticizing you putting a comma over, "hence." When the sentence flows better putting it after, "seriously." Or ask/state why you/I weren't/was taught to add commas before quotations? It's a waste of time.
Tajima

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
bs3311 wrote:

Nor will I spend over five sentences criticizing you putting a comma over, "hence." When the sentence flows better putting it after, "seriously." Or ask/state why you/I weren't/was taught to add commas before quotations? It's a waste of time.

Commas are only added before quotation marks when introducing a quotation with words like "She said," "She whispered," etc., or when splitting the quotation when attributing the person. Furthermore, using a comma after "Hence" is perfectly valid...so, if you'd attempted to "correct" them over their perfect use of the English language, you would've been wrong, once again. I'm beginning to sense a theme.

Also, you just implied that it would take you an hour to type a few sentences correctly...
Daizo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:14 pm Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
It's not as easy as CR just deciding to pay their sub contractors more.

Translation and subtitle work is usually "recouped" from the royalties that licensors pay to the Japanese companies. In other words, paying the subcontractors more doesn't cost CR money, it costs the Japanese rights holder's money.
After all, the rights to the translations end up with them, not Crunchyroll.
In fact, CR having probably the cheapest way of producing simulcast subs is a plus for them when it comes to licensing negotiations.

Interesting. Though this honestly just makes the situation come off even worse. I find it very likely that the companies in Japan won't really care much for the translation quality for foreigners as it doesn't have any effect on the domestic consumer base and as a result they're going to be highly incentivized to get it done as cheaply as possible with little to no care for the actual quality. At the same time, it doesn't seem like CR would care very much about it either, so with the fixed very low prices translators are also incentivized to rush through translations as quickly as possible for maximized hourly income - after all, if you're going to paid the same regardless of whether you turn in a mediocre script or a good script, and nothing's really going to happen if you turn in mediocre work, the only reason you wouldn't settle for that is pride in your own work.

This actually ties to my theory as to why simulcast translations have managed to remain mostly decent on average despite the ridiculously low pay. The vast majority of subbers working in the business come from a fansubbing background, which in turns translates to passion to their craft. It's this passion that makes them go beyond mediocre effort.

However, with the low pay it's a fact that you won't really be able to translate anime as your primary job - it's going to be a side job at best. And side jobs rarely tend to remain in your life forever, so as a result you'll end with people quitting. This isn't a problem as long as there's new talent to hire from the fansubbing pool, but said pool is just getting more and more dry as time goes on. So what happens when there's no more ex-fansubbers to work on the scripts? You get people who don't have the same kind of passion for their work and who will without a doubt turn in consistently mediocre or even outright poor work. And at that point, bad simulcast scripts will no longer be an exception - they'll be the default. Worst of all, it's going to be a slow decline so the average person probably wouldn't realize it was happening until it was too late.

I really hope things won't turn out as badly as I'm predicting here, but the amount of complaints about shoddy simulcast scripts seem to have only gone up with time... not to mention the fact that this column exists in the first place!
bs3311

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Tajima wrote:

Commas are only added before quotation marks when introducing a quotation with words like "She said," "She whispered," etc., or when splitting the quotation when attributing the person. Furthermore, using a comma after "Hence" is perfectly valid...so, if you'd attempted to "correct" them over their perfect use of the English language, you would've been wrong, once again. I'm beginning to sense a theme.
Also, you just implied that it would take you an hour to type a few sentences correctly...

thanks. However, using air quotes implies something someone said in the first place. How is that any different other than this being used for books following a narrative or to start a new paragraph when someone talks or mentions past dialogue? And their period before starting their new sentence with Hence is enough time for a space to catch a breath. No one naturally says it like, "*space*Hence*space*Queue line". While something like, "However." Is reasonable to me since its 3 syllables. This isn't about correcting people. Hell, they were suggestions. It's about how wasteful it is to judge or mention about grammar when we're supposed to argue about our points within the topic. Not how we write them.

Quote:

Just post. Not, "correctly post." Each individual can have their own obstacle from pulling what they think out've their minds to place on a page. Time is one of them. And then after that I need to go through my books and word software to correct em? Nah. More anime and skype chats are waiting for me lol
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Daizo wrote:
So what happens when there's no more ex-fansubbers to work on the scripts? You get people who don't have the same kind of passion for their work and who will without a doubt turn in consistently mediocre or even outright poor work. And at that point, bad simulcast scripts will no longer be an exception - they'll be the default. Worst of all, it's going to be a slow decline so the average person probably wouldn't realize it was happening until it was too late.

I really hope things won't turn out as badly as I'm predicting here, but the amount of complaints about shoddy simulcast scripts seem to have only gone up with time... not to mention the fact that this column exists in the first place!

If what you say will happen, then I'd say that after that, the quality should go up. Anime has become increasingly reliant on international viewers. This means that good translation work should become increasingly important to the companies making anime. If error-prone translations becomes bad enoguh that it causes drops in viewership, a smart company would catch on and start taking translators more seriously, as doing otherwise would become deleterious to their bottom line.

Of course, there are two problems here. The first is that it probably won't be easy to pinpoint the source of declining popularity with translation quality, and the second is that unless they have someone in-house who knows the language they're translating to (the don't have to know it well), they'll have no idea of the quality of the translation.

bs3311 wrote:
thanks. However, using air quotes implies something someone said in the first place. How is that any different other than this being used for books following a narrative or to start a new paragraph when someone talks or mentions past dialogue? And their period before starting their new sentence with Hence is enough time for a space to catch a breath. No one naturally says it like, "*space*Hence*space*Queue line". While something like, "However." Is reasonable to me since its 3 syllables. This isn't about correcting people. Hell, they were suggestions. It's about how wasteful it is to judge or mention about grammar when we're supposed to argue about our points within the topic. Not how we write them.

Just post. Not, "correctly post." Each individual can have their own obstacle from pulling what they think out've their minds to place on a page. Time is one of them. And then after that I need to go through my books and word software to correct em? Nah. More anime and skype chats are waiting for me lol

I think you need a lesson on English punctuation.

Whether or not a comma is used before an open quotation mark (that is, a quotation mark that begins a quote or phrase) depends on if it is a full quote or not. If it's a full quote, it's not at the beginning of a sentence, and it is not integrated into the rest of the sentence, you use a comma. Otherwise, there is no comma.

Example 1:
As his body was about to give up, Groucho Marx said, "Die? Why, that's the last thing I'll do!"

The comma is used here because those were two full sentences used as a quote. It comprises a complete thought.

Example 2:
That "Santa Claus" at the mall had the worst fake beard I ever saw.

This is a special type of quote known as a "scare quote." It's not always used for scaring, of course, but it is the kind often use to describe surprise, emphasis, or sarcasm. (The use of quotation marks at the beginning of this paragraph is not a scare quote, but a use-mention distinction, which I'll get to below.) Commas are never used before scare quotes...

Example 3:
On the other hand, "unbreakable" safes can still be broken into.

...unless there would be a comma right before it, quotation marks or not.

Commas are also not required before any sort of title unless, again, there would be a comma before it due to some other grammatical rule.

Example 4 (Title of a story):
The South Park episode "Miss Teacher Bangs a Boy" had an original title of "Nice."

Example 5 (Title of a person):
Notorious French pirate Olivier "The Buzzard" Levasseur left behind buried treasure estimated at about US$1.6 billion.

Here's where things get a bit murkier, and I think this is where you trip up the most. Commas are not used in use-mention distinctions. These are when you're using the word or words inside the quotation marks as an example or if you're using the word or words to refer to the words themselves rather than what they mean.

Example 6:
You must be careful not to confuse "rogue" with "rouge," for they mean two completely different things.

Even murkier is if the quote is complete but very short. In this case, whether to use a comma or not is up to the person writing it. More often than not, they're not used because they break up the flow of the sentence.

Example 7 (used):
He said, "Okay" and went on his way.

Example 8 (not used):
Critics are raving about A Dad's Life! They're calling it "Outrageous!" and "Hilarious!"

Not murky at all, however, is if the quote is within a sentence structured around the quote. You see this a lot in academic papers. When deciding what punctuation marks to use for these sentences, ignore the quotation marks entirely.

Example 9:
Charlie told me to "turn right on 5th Street, then left on Maple Avenue" to get to his office.

Example 10:
Even though Sun Tzu was a top military tactician, he still desired peace, saying that "[t]here is no instance of a country having benefited from prolonged warfare."

That's what I can think of at the moment. The idea remains, however, that if you are not fully aware of the rules of English, or in this case, you have an incorrect idea about the rules of English, you cannot really criticize someone else of making mistakes in English. What you perceive to be a mistake may in fact be totally correct.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7