• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Is That Short Screen After The Opening?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epicwizard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I remember discovering sponsor screens in anime back in 2011 when I was watching a fansub of a Doraemon 2005 episode. I think the sponsors were the Japanese divisions of McDonald's and Kellogg's.

Last edited by epicwizard on Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:58 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
It's been almost a decade since someone at an anime convention tried to convince me that these words were "Grand Sponsor: Tokyo Day of Christmas", and even though I've always known better, I still can't hear it as anything else.

I would imagine that all fans of a certain age are familiar with this immortal mondegreen. A feature as pointless for viewers like us as eye-catches, but one which is, in a sense, still a part of the artwork as a whole.

Recently I re-watched an episode of Chobits. For completion's sake, its English-language release included the unique jingle played after the OP, minus any sponsor text.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the good old "Sponsors" splash screen in anime. Its not just limited to anime either, but also to live action stuff with Tokusatsu and Drama (IIRC, for example).

Anyways, not just limiting to anime per se, but to video games as well, maybe even parodying it. The Persona 4 Arena games also did this too when you start them with either the Narrator or a character from the game mention "This game is brought to you by the following sponsors" or similar.
LostTL

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:05 pm Reply with quote
The British Naruto/Naruto Shippuden DVDs kept the narration-less sponsor cards. Then again, the British Naruto DVDs had Naruto specifically say his favorite food was "Pot Noodle" and used dubtitles for 26 episodes.
There wasn't a lot of attention to detail put into those discs is what I'm saying.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou was very creative with their sponsor screens.
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:48 pm Reply with quote
"Kono bangumi wa goran no suponsaa no teikyou de okuri shimasu"

I'm so used to it
Heishi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Ah, gotta love those sponsor screens.
Especially, the companies involved. Like Capcom.
Speaking of which, I wonder how Capcom had something to do with the show?
Triltaison

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

jymmy wrote:
I'm kind of amazed it's possible nowadays to watch anime without being familiar with GRAND SPONSOR TOKYO DAY OH CHRISTMAS in the process.

I have watched anime constantly for nearly 15 years and I had never heard of that until just now.
I must be really amazing.

It's been over 15 years for me but I've never heard that before either and I used to run a couple anime clubs, communities, and forums years ago. I haven't been heavy into anime online communities in a few years so I suspect it's a relatively new thing.

My guess is that it would be from middle schoolers who were totally unfamiliar with Japanese and became beginning anime fans about five years ago, who are now high schoolers and older.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Lord Starfish wrote:
Fansubs of Dragon Ball Super have sometimes been keeping those sponsor messages intact, not because they're particularly important or anything, but because on Fuji TV, they're read in-character by Masako Nozawa.
When Inu-Yasha first ran on Japanese TV, the sponsor messages were read by Kappei Yamaguchi while in-character.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:40 pm Reply with quote
It took quite a while after I started watching fansubs for me to run into one of these and my first thought was to wonder why it wasn't cut out(like it was in presumably every other fansub I'd seen until then). I can easily see them being left in in the tape era, but when you're already transcoding the video digitally, it's a bit of a puzzle.
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
Ah, gotta love those sponsor screens.
Especially, the companies involved. Like Capcom.
Speaking of which, I wonder how Capcom had something to do with the show?

They actually made a DS game from the franchise.
Texas84

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I asked about this in my Japanese language class and sensei knew exactly what I was talking about. Laughing
Apashi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
Lol does anyone remember how awkward the Inuyasha ones were? Because Viz removed the audio about the sponsor but kept the footage, you just saw Kirara scratching out Myouga and he jumps back on, back and forth, back and forth during the last seconds of the OP and you're like......"wtf?" Anime hyper

...it took me a while to figure out what the hell that scene was about. LOL

You know, I don't think I realized what that was until just now. I think I just chalked it up to the show trying to be quirky.

Oh my god I never thought about it either!

jymmy wrote:
I'm kind of amazed it's possible nowadays to watch anime without being familiar with GRAND SPONSOR TOKYO DAY OH CHRISTMAS in the process.

That's beautiful.

I find it's kind of annoying and distracting to only have the screen with no sponsor message. But it's so short that it's nbd. But what about those short screens warning kids not to sit too close to the tv? I remember those had original animation just for the message. Do they still have those? I'm a little out of touch haha.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:12 pm Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:

You HAVE to have been around since the days of fansubs, never mind tape-trading.
Nowadays, we're getting the "pristine" version, without the broadcast requirements of giving us a plug to our Grando Sponsor.

Now that everything's licensed, it's...kind of like losing everything US TV used to have, before that all went streaming.
JDude042

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:17 pm Reply with quote
I was quite familiar with this sort of thing, even over ten years ago.

"Ground Sponsor Oh Take Your Day, On Christmas Shitsmas!"

Rather than an answerman topic that answers a simple question such as this, I'd love to hear an in-depth discussion about the downfall of Bleach and who Mr. Answerman thinks is directly responsible between Kubo Tite or the people he was working for, and why it happened. It's been three months since it ended, but I still feel that the shit stain that is Bleach still hasn't been fully smeared away from the fabric of space & time, and I'm afraid it never will.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4