• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Is That Short Screen After The Opening?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:27 pm Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
I'm kind of amazed it's possible nowadays to watch anime without being familiar with GRAND SPONSOR TOKYO DAY OH CHRISTMAS in the process.

Laughing Yep, that's what it has always sounded like to my gaijin ears.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:34 pm Reply with quote
IIRC, Monster didn't have a separate freeze-frame for its sponsor screen; the instrumental OP just ended with a pan up, and a few seconds into the silent pan the voiceover started.

Man, that takes me back... I think that was my first laptop? Woulda been in '06, '07... I remember with the whole of Mai-HiME on there, there wasn't room for more than four episodes of Monster. So I had to download almost 20 torrents separately for one series.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:50 pm Reply with quote
The Archives of Evangelion DVD box retained the TV broadcast sponsor scenes. One of the reasons why I bought it in addition to the BD box.
meruru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
meruru wrote:
This week's question amuses me, because the only way you'd ask that question is if you've never watched a fansub ever,

Why is that amusing?
I did not ask the question but I have also never watched a fansub, ever.

Because times have changed so much since I'd started watching, back when literally the only way to watch this stuff was to get like third generation VHS tape fansubs through the mail. And now we can all watch officially licensed streams of this through the internet days after it airs in Japan, like a dream come true for past me.
Freyanne

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Apashi wrote:

I find it's kind of annoying and distracting to only have the screen with no sponsor message. But it's so short that it's nbd. But what about those short screens warning kids not to sit too close to the tv? I remember those had original animation just for the message. Do they still have those? I'm a little out of touch haha.

Now that I think about it, the only anime that I can remember that specifically/verbally tells the viewer to not sit too close to the TV (and not just be on-screen text when the episode starts playing) was KaleidoStar. Even the dub kept that little intro where Sora tells you to sit away from the TV, and it's kinda a neat touch how she starts off with basically a "Hello everyone, KaileidoStar/KaleidoStage is about to start! But before we begin, [insert light/TV warning here.]", considering circus theme and all.

I did like how Sonic X kinda "handled" the TV warning in the first ED animation, although the JPN version on Hulu(?) removed that text/kanji, so it makes no sense when you get to that part in the ED (and don't know about it beforehand).
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:11 am Reply with quote
These bring back such wonderful memories of watching anime shows while on vacation in Japan. Anime smile
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:21 am Reply with quote
JDude042 wrote:
Rather than an answerman topic that answers a simple question such as this, I'd love to hear an in-depth discussion about the downfall of Bleach and who Mr. Answerman thinks is directly responsible between Kubo Tite or the people he was working for, and why it happened. It's been three months since it ended, but I still feel that the shit stain that is Bleach still hasn't been fully smeared away from the fabric of space & time, and I'm afraid it never will.

I've gotten that question from at least two people (perhaps you among them?) Except, not being an omnipotent god, there is no way for me to have any idea how to answer that. Nobody comes to this column for blind speculation.
Herald Of JOJO

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:29 am Reply with quote
I'd like to thank everyone in this comments section for teaching me the art of listening to and saying Japanese media sponsor messages. I gotta tell my friends this. It's gonna be hilarious. Very Happy
Barbobot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:06 am Reply with quote
Freyanne wrote:

Now that I think about it, the only anime that I can remember that specifically/verbally tells the viewer to not sit too close to the TV (and not just be on-screen text when the episode starts playing) was KaleidoStar. Even the dub kept that little intro where Sora tells you to sit away from the TV, and it's kinda a neat touch how she starts off with basically a "Hello everyone, KaileidoStar/KaleidoStage is about to start! But before we begin, [insert light/TV warning here.]", considering circus theme and all.

Zettai Karen Children (or Psychic Squad in Sentai calls it) has that in front of every episode as well. The 3 girls all do the warning together and Sentai left that in for every episode of the series.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:09 am Reply with quote
Since Suguru Koshigaya (a.k.a. Glasses-kun) doesn't speak, that sponsor announcer is the only male voice you actually hear on most episodes of Non Non Biyori.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:11 am Reply with quote
Freyanne wrote:
Apashi wrote:

I find it's kind of annoying and distracting to only have the screen with no sponsor message. But it's so short that it's nbd. But what about those short screens warning kids not to sit too close to the tv? I remember those had original animation just for the message. Do they still have those? I'm a little out of touch haha.

I did like how Sonic X kinda "handled" the TV warning in the first ED animation, although the JPN version on Hulu(?) removed that text/kanji, so it makes no sense when you get to that part in the ED (and don't know about it beforehand).

Oh yeah, I remember this as well ha. It was EVERYWHERE during the early to mid 2000s but on all new shows coming out today, I don't see this warning anymore....o_o
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:22 am Reply with quote
The worst thing is when the 10 seconds isn't actually cut out-able...

Sometimes you have to encode from TV masters and depending on how the 10 seconds is edited, there are times when the opening song just like, goes to instrumental for those seconds instead of ending.

Then, you have the choice of having a nice freeze frame 10 seconds after every opening, OR like adding in your own fade out to the audio manually, ugh.
Thankfully I only know a few anime like that and they were all produced purely with TV in mind... From what I can tell the DVD masters in Japan even left those sections in.
peno

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Detective Conan is one of the anime doing that, where instead of end the opening, they continue to play it through the sponsor screen. It is usually cut off from international airings, but it is kept in Crunchyroll versions, without announcment. I am not sure about Japanese DVDs and Blu-Rays, though.

Polycell wrote:
It took quite a while after I started watching fansubs for me to run into one of these and my first thought was to wonder why it wasn't cut out(like it was in presumably every other fansub I'd seen until then). I can easily see them being left in in the tape era, but when you're already transcoding the video digitally, it's a bit of a puzzle.

The only fansubs I remember not to have them were fansubs done from DVD rips (and from VHS rips, if DVDs weren't available), because they were usually cut even from Japanese DVD and VHS releases. TV rips I watched always had them.

Speaking of this, I remember how my local airing of Digimon Tamers kept this sponsor screen (with music only, no announcement) in some episodes, but cut it off in other. I never really found any logic behind this. And keeping this struck me even more weird since they cut off eyecatches and next episode preview (the omission of latter really bothered me, especially since in Zero Two they had no problem to dub it).
0nsen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Haven't seen those in ages and I never missed them. It's one of the advantages of always waiting for the Blu-Ray release.
harminia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Only came here to see how many OH CHRISTMAS comments there were.

That said, Osomatsu-san has my favourite sponsor clips as they make up weird stuff and put too much effort than was necessary for it. I believe the DVD kept those, too, which makes me extremely happy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4