• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Is That Short Screen After The Opening?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I think the only thing I haven't seen a Japanese sponsor screen on is sports and I'm guessing I haven't looked very hard
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
jymmy wrote:
I'm kind of amazed it's possible nowadays to watch anime without being familiar with GRAND SPONSOR TOKYO DAY OH CHRISTMAS in the process.

I have watched anime constantly for nearly 15 years and I had never heard of that until just now.
I must be really amazing.

I found it out by watching some 2004 2005's ish series. For recent ones fansubs don't show it anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:15 pm Reply with quote
There's one show I saw years and years ago that had the sponsor screen voiceover in English, I wish i could remember what it was. Scrapped Princess, maybe?
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:40 am Reply with quote
I just want to mention that the Japanese dub of My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic added in one of these too. It's kind of interesting to see western animation be adapted in this way. They took a clip from whatever episode it was and superimposed those logos in the middle of the screen, like any other show. Anyone who's seen the opening in English knows they could've used the photograph at the end, but they created their own opening instead.

Greed1914 wrote:
I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that people complained that official DVDs didn't have something from the fansubs, even if watching those fansubs would make it pretty obvious that it was just a plug for the sponsors.

I first saw it watching a fansub for the Parappa the Rapper anime and immediately recognized it as a list of sponsors, as the SCEA and Target (the department store) were on the list. It's kind of amusing to see people request it, as it is essentially a commercial.

Greed1914 wrote:
Chiibi wrote:
Lol does anyone remember how awkward the Inuyasha ones were? Because Viz removed the audio about the sponsor but kept the footage, you just saw Kirara scratching out Myouga and he jumps back on, back and forth, back and forth during the last seconds of the OP and you're like......"wtf?" Anime hyper

...it took me a while to figure out what the hell that scene was about. LOL

You know, I don't think I realized what that was until just now. I think I just chalked it up to the show trying to be quirky.

I didn't know what that was either until now. I just thought the opening song wound up being shorter than the sequence(or was there a slow fade out? I forgot), or they had to pad out time by a few seconds and couldn't think of anything else.

#863350 wrote:
The British Naruto/Naruto Shippuden DVDs kept the narration-less sponsor cards. Then again, the British Naruto DVDs had Naruto specifically say his favorite food was "Pot Noodle" and used dubtitles for 26 episodes.
There wasn't a lot of attention to detail put into those discs is what I'm saying.

There's always a lot of young and uninformed people getting into Naruto, and having never heard of fresh ramen before, think Ichiraku Ramen is a restaurant that serves these dehydrated noodles, only in bowls. It frankly made me laugh that there is a professional translator who thinks this too.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:24 am Reply with quote
Removing the credits during an American airing or streaming could also be due to some legal reasons (similar to how Pizza Hut references was removed during the "Code Geass" airings here).
Tylerr

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:32 am Reply with quote
Don't they actually say the english word sponser during the advertisements?

come on... what kind of question is this lol?
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:36 am Reply with quote
I think this is okay but for Gundam show nowadays, which is Bandai main sponsor of Gundam anime keep showing the freaking 20 sec gunpla advertisement after the opening song. That one is more annoying than "this show is/are sponsored by" announcement.
Lord Starfish

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:21 am Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
There's one show I saw years and years ago that had the sponsor screen voiceover in English, I wish i could remember what it was. Scrapped Princess, maybe?

Shuffle? I distinctly remember that one doing that.
taishou*

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
I think the only thing I haven't seen a Japanese sponsor screen on is sports and I'm guessing I haven't looked very hard

They make up for it by sticking their logos all over the uniforms and the playing field.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Tylerr wrote:
Don't they actually say the english word sponser during the advertisements?

come on... what kind of question is this lol?

Well, you never know. It could be a mondegreen or a false cognate. Otherwise, you could just as easily assume the little clip is about Christmas.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:20 am Reply with quote
Ah yes, sponsor screens, those ever-present challenges when trying to shift times while adapting scripts from old TV-fansubs to newer disc-based encodes. They always seem like they're 10 or 15 seconds long, but are frequently something like 9.82 seconds or 14.15 seconds Evil or Very Mad And as samuelp mentions, sometimes they have fade-ins/fadeouts as transitions... in which case it's impossible to predict what timeshifting value you need, thus forcing guesswork and more manual adjusting of individual lines Twisted Evil

Some shows actually did include relevant material during the sponsor screens, as seen with School Rumble:

Fortunately, Funimation's SR releases leave the sponsor screens intact (minus the voiceover), including translations for the text.

A lot of current shows do still include the "watch from a distance in a well-lit room" warning, but you only see it if you watch a TV based fan-edit encode. As Justin said, if you watch either legal streams, downloaded rips of those streams, or re-(re-?)encodes of those rips on bootleg streaming sites, those messages won't be there. And even those fan-editing groups have started treating that message similarly to other broadcast texts (prize giveaways, merchandise promotions, disaster warnings, etc.), i.e. not translating it. So if you can't read Japanese, you may be at risk of watching in a darkened room from an insufficient distance.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:00 am Reply with quote
Removing the credits during an American airing or streaming could also be due to some legal reasons (similar to how Pizza Hut references was removed during the "Code Geass" airings here).
CBongo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Lord Starfish wrote:
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:

Yup. The actual image was a 3D spin of the model tanker that the main character was building throughout the show. Each episode showed it a little more complete. It was also one of the first two fansubs I watched, and, being unfamiliar with the sponsor screen then, I wondered if the subbers had dubbed the voiceover.

One of my other favorites was Hayate the Combat Butler, which featured a short loop of Hayate throwing rose petals in front of Nagi. It also had the characters doing the lighting/distance warnings.

A more recent example would be Crunchyroll's stream of Hanasaku Iroha, which kept the key-visual still-frame intact.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:42 am Reply with quote
Lord Starfish wrote:
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:

Could be. I thought it was something I watched more than one or two episodes of, but I could be mistaken.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4